CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

battery for a 2000 deville dhs?

Wildcard

hey guy my battery died and i need a new one. i thought i remember reading some time ago that the devilles needed some type of special battery do to it being located under the seat. the one i pulled out today was bought at wallmart and was a normal car battery "i bought the car used" but i wanted to be sure i got the right kind.

The correct type is a Group 79 battery that includes a venting system that dumps acidic fumes overboard through a hole in the underbody.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The correct type is a Group 79 battery that includes a venting system that dumps acidic fumes overboard through a hole in the underbody.

Thank you. any chance you could link me to an example? or is that what i ask for at the auto parts store?

Thank you. any chance you could link me to an example? or is that what i ask for at the auto parts store?

If you plan/expect to keep the car more than three years, I would not be buying at an auto parts store or WalMart.

This is a case where I would advise biting the cost bullet and purchase ONLY the ACDelco replacement part (79-6YR) at a GM dealer parts counter or wherever you can obtain ACDelco parts.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Whatever you do, DO NOT put the wrong type of battery in your vehicle! It is dangerous and could cause an hydrogen explosion under the rear seat. :blink:

Due to the under seat location, the battery must be the manifold vented type.

At the very least the corrosive out-gassing that is the result of normal recharging will attack the electronics and wiring that is found under the seat.

Britt

You can also find a distributor of AC Delco parts in your area. AC Delco has the best warranty - 3 year free replacement. At one time, AC Delco was the only option but there are now other choices.

As Ranger said, Interstate has a group 79 battery. The last time I was in Sams Club, there was an Energizer group 79 battery.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You can also find a distributor of AC Delco parts in your area. AC Delco has the best warranty - 3 year free replacement. At one time, AC Delco was the only option but there are now other choices.

As Ranger said, Interstate has a group 79 battery. The last time I was in Sams Club, there was an Energizer group 79 battery.

ok thanks for the help guys. i called the autoparts store and they have one. its not ac delco but it has a 3 year warrenty and will do for now. when i bought the car it had a normal ever start bat in it bought in 05. i dont know how long its actually been in the car but hopefully it has not damaged any thing. i'll tell you though, i dont mean to bash but i hope who ever designed this thing gets kicked in the junk. bat under the frickn seat,need to pull the motor to work on the heads,oil pan gasket ect. this thing is a nice car and drives great but its def made for people that dont have to work on there own stuff...and have lots of $ lol. only thing iv liked is how easy the window regulators are to replace. any way thanks again guys you were super helpfull ;)

The battery is a piece of cake to replace - just lift up on the back seat cushon and it's right there. I work on my own equipment - these cars are different than an old Chevy Caprice with a 350 in it.

Actually, the starter is a piece of cake to replace on these cars - all standing up, not under the car with crud falling in your eyes.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yep I bought that energizer brand, it was the best deal around.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I've had an Energizer from Sam's Club for over a year and so far no problems. ^_^

One hint. The batteries at Sam's all have a round sticker with the manufacture date. Look toward the rear of the rack & see if there are newer batteries that the one up front. I got one that was a month old, while the one up front was 7 months old. I told the gentleman that I would by one IF he got me the newest & he said "No Problem!" ;)

I think that a battery that has been sitting for a half a year would be subject to early failure just from sitting.

Britt

got my battery. its a duralast or something like that. it has the two little vents and all. 1000 cranking amps so it should be ok. 3yr warrenty. it was about 150$ after tax. i miss hwen i could just get a normal bat for like 60 bucks lol. i'll install in tomorrow. again thanks for the help guys

Make sure the vent piping is in place that hooks up to the battery and vents it through the floor pan.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived