CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Driver Seat on '98 DeVille

I have an odd problem, in that the power driver seat on my DeVille is listing towards the door. I would say the bench is a good 1.5 inches out of level. The backrest remains upright, or perpendicular to the ground, but the seat it self is sagging towards the door.

The question is; where does the problem lie?

Is it something to do with the power seat motors being bad, or has the sub-structure of the seat failed?

I've looked below the seat, and don't see where the mounting of the seat has failed on the door side.

If anyone has encountered this before, a little feedback is appreciated.

Also...

The plunge pin on the fuel filler door release sheared off. The mechanism still works, but the exposed part of the pin is gone.

Can this part be had by itself, or do you have to buy the entire fuel filler cable and have it installed?

Thanks

About the seat...

My guess is the spring attachments "INSIDE" the seat have failed and is letting the seat lean.

I would probably run it by 2 or 3 upholstery places and have them take a quick look at it and get an estimate to fix it.

Unless you are comfortable with taking the seat apart and putting it back together.

Can't help on the gas filler door.

Posted Image

I have a couple of recommendations oon the seat.

1. take a few pics to give us a better idea of the exact problem. It sounds to me like one of the screw style mechanisms that raise and lower the track has messed up, or the cable that drives it.

2. remove the seat. Very easy to do. Move seat all the way forward, remove the 2 black covers at the rear of the tracks(if they arent already missing) Remove the 2 T47 torx bolts at the rear of the tracks, pick up the seat, unplug the 2 plugs, while the seat is pulled up slide it rearward toward he back seat and the hooks will disengage in the front.

Once the seat is removed and you turn it upside down the problem might be alot easier to see, I recommend posting a pic of the underneath also.

It might sound easy from me but It is hard to explain something that I am so used to doing.

I can post a few pics to give you an idea of the track setup. Its cool actually, especially if you have the memory feature.

As for the fuel door release, I am assuming the door is constantly open as the pin is broken off. It is not hard to change. Look in the trunk behind the carpet on the driver side and you should see most of the part.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 4 years later...

Hi, I thought I would give my two cents worth....I have looked at a lot of '94 thru '99 Devilles, and have passed up many of them, because the front drivers seat was "compressed', sometimes only the seat portion, but sometimes the back part as well, always near the door side of the seat. After some research, I found that most if not all of these vehicles were previously owned, not only by elderly, but quite "heavy" drivers ( no offense to anyone) who have difficulty getting in and out of the car, and thereby crushing, or flattening these areas over time. The last Caddy I had wasn't too bad, but I removed the plastic trim guard that holds the lumbar or seat heat control, giving access to the leather trim near the bottom of the seat, removing the clips that fasten the leather trim to the seat frame, and peeling up the leather seat area, and then installing an appropriate "cushion booster" for example foam, to "boost" the flattened areas. I hope this helps you, because it seemed to have worked quite well with my seat problem. Good luck!

• 1 year later...

I agree with @rockfangd & @bil.dun . Most often it is the foam in the seat that has compressed.

The upholstery shop would be the option I would take. Although the seats are not hard to take out, removing and replacing leather seat covers and foam is comparable to trying to stuff 10 pounds of poo into a 2 pound bag :excl: :glare::fighting0030:...

I would ask the upholstery shop if I could save some money by taking the seat out and delivering it to them. As far as cost goes check the junk yards and the upholstery shops and then compare.

The fuel door release is easy peasy stuff.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Been there done that.

I get a nice bit of insulation/ filling that is strong but flexible. I then remove the seat trim and pop the cushion up enough to carefully  fill in the sagging section, then reassemble and enjoy. 

I find a little extra is best. If you think you put in enough add  a little more

GM FAN FOREVER

Finding a good seat at a junkyard will be a challenge.  If the seats aren't sold within a week or two of the car arriving at the junkyard, they get bad quickly - people always leave the doors open, rain/snow gets in the interiors and ruins them.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Around here people cut them open and rip them up to look for the pennies that might exist. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived