CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Following a good washing & drying, I placed a very small amount of goo gone on a white towel cloth & I went over a few areas of the car (around the wheel wells, and under the drivers door). Seems there were small unnoticeable speckles of tar & stuff that were removed. I felt resistance and roughness when I started, now it's nice & smooth, and after, it has a much nicer shine to it. I also tried this on the plastic chrome molding that's all around the car, and on the headlights, trim, and emblems. Seems that tar residue is all over. I was shocked at all that was on the car - even following a thorough washing. It also really gets the white walls clean. It cleans out the grease that get's between the chrome wheels, and doesn't remove that dull grey paint.

The tar & "stuff" on the bottom portion of the finish itself took up a large portion of the towel & turned it brown or black. I used pre-cleaner in the past & that advertises to remove oxidation. I don't believe I have any of that, so I didn't see much benefit.

I did this about 10 years ago too, and there were no long term affects.

Good to hear it worked out for you. Remember it is a solvent so keep it away from moldings held on with double sticky tape or other areas using adhesive; a damp cloth shouldn't present any problems as long as it isn't dripping where it isn't supposed to be.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I think Goo Gone is a petroleum product and most likely leaves an oily residue. Rub a little between your fingers and see. It's probably a good bug & tar remover, but will likely attract dirt. I'd wash it after using it.

if you like goo gone try 3m adhesive remover. amazing stuff! Safe for paint

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

The main ingredient in Goo Gone is naptha,simple lighter fluid.Lighter fluid is one of the best cleaners for almost everything.Been using it on guitar finishes for years,safe on just about anything.

Archived