CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power steering pump adapter leak!!

I have a small leak which looks like it's coming from the black plastic adapter coming from the reservoir to the pressure hose and return hose of the pump.

It drips down the valve covers onto the Exaust manifold and starts smoking really bad, I got some Lucas stop leak fluid but I'm hesitant on using it because it says it reconditions seals and what if mine isn't the seal that's the problem!

I think it could be o-rings inside the adapter but I would rather either just get a brand new adapter an replace with new rings or if this stop leaks miracle fluid works for this too that'll be cool!!

My question is basically does the Lucas stop any power steering leak or just when it's leaking from the rack & pinions?

Where do I buy this pump adapter? (autozone, oriellys, napa, advanced auto parts don't carry them) not getting it at the junkyard that's fr sure!!

Should I siphon the fluid out and replace with 100% Lucas?

Looking at the pump pulley, the pressure line would be behind the pulley and the return line would be on the right connected to the reservoir.

I would suspect that your leak is either a cracked return hose or a cracked tank. Either of these problems would not be suitable for a stop leak such as Lucas.

If the hose is bad, it should be an easy fix. If the tank is cracked, then it needs to be replaced. No amount of stop leak fluid will properly fix a cracked tank or a leaking hose.

The smoking is just short of bursting into flame. This problem needs to be fixed before it causes a fire.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Archived