CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What kind of battery to buy?

Bronson

Last night went to pick up my daughter from her high school band performance and in trying to start my STS I get the click, click, click, flickering dash lights, dead battery B.S. again. Between both Caddy's I have replaced the positive battery cable three times, batteries, five times, this will make battery number six. It seems that in this climate the life of an auto battery is about one to one and a half years tops. It may hold a charge but the positive side post starts to leak and destroys the cable, hooooo the cable, just shy of $300.00 at the stealership. Do not have the knowledge nor the time to replace myself, this alone is very frustrating.

Question: What battery do you guys use?

Have any of you experienced the joy of the battery, positive cable drama as I?

I am waiting for the new battery to be delivered to the corner parts store so I can go pick it up, it was promised by noon. My next door neighbor (monster garage) raves about Optima batteries, I understand it's a "dry cell" and will not leak. Well I've placed my order $118.00 worth and I guess I'll find out. I've been loyal to ol' A/C Delco but this takes the cake!

sebring06RTP.jpg

Havent had that drama with the caddy but we have had that happen alot with our mustang.....the mistake weve made was to buy any battery from the local auto store (quite expensive too)........if you have a costco wholesale club near you,then you should check it out.......their prices are great and they have a fantastic warrenty....

I've used Interstate Batteries in all my cars and have never had a problem.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

If I did not go for an AC Delco, I would look toward the next generation type of battery. While someone mentioned that my cable corrosion could be a leaky battery, I had not realized that it could be leaking, and have not determined if it is leaking. The Optima line, with its spiral cells are touted not to leak and have very high output even cold. I would definately look toward that technology next time I need a battery. They have a 24 month free replacement and its pro-rated over the next 48. I have also used Interstate.

Why not get one of the optima batteries? I hear they are ultra-high performance, and resistance to heat, cold, etc.

That's what I'm waiting on to be delivered to the corner parts store, An Optima battery, they don't keep the Optima battery for a STS in stock, it has to be delivered from the warehouse then I can stop by and pick it up.

sebring06RTP.jpg

My local Costco carries a line of Optima Batteries, some under $100.

I can't believe I've gotten such good service from my original OEM but... I'm sure it's time is comming and I've been "eyeing" them at the rack when going to Costco lately - winter's comming! ;)

I have had really good luck with Energizer batteries. For you Canadian guys reading this, we also have Motomaster Eliminator batteries from Canadian Tire. We usually can get at least 3 years out of both of those brands of batteries. I have also heard that Optima Batteries are really good too but I have yet to try one.

Spence

I have a '98 Seville which I recently purchased and do not know any history about it.

With winter coming on, I don't want to get stuck with a weak/dead battery.

How do I know if this car still has the original battery, of if it has been replaced?

If it is original, it would now be going on 8 years - I have been told that since the battery is under the back seat, it is in a more favorable atmosphere than under the hood (next to the hot engine) and therefore lasts twice as long....

The dealer said if I bring it in, they can look at the battery markings which would tell them if it is the original or not....Does anybody know what I should look for if I do it myself? I hate to run to the dealer just so they can look at it...(it's such a hassle)...

With winter coming on, I don't want to get stuck with a weak/dead battery.

....Does anybody know what I should look for if I do it myself? I hate to run to the dealer just so they can look at it...(it's such a hassle)...

Take it to a parts retailer and ask them to load test your battery. Might be easier than having the dealer tell you to replace it due "to time in service".

And if you DO need a battery, or just want to replace your's for insurance, ACDelco is the only brand you will find to deliver OEM specs. and fit in the space.

Mine is original, but not subject to your winter temperatures.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Picked up Optmia battery and now have hooked up the terminals to back the car out of the garage. Bottom of battery box was covered with acid and corrosion. I've dumpted about a cup of bakingsoda and attempt to clean it up.

Boy, she fired right up! Once I got the new battery in, positive cable is not as clean as the negative. Is there any way to tell if the battery is recieving a charge? In the past when the cable had to be replaced once the new battery was in the engine would run fine but was running on the battery alone. Service tech explained that it was due to a bad cable not making connection.

Is there any way to be sure the connection is good and the battery is receiving a charge?

sebring06RTP.jpg

any sealed battery like some of the optimas is the best. especially for the new sevilles.. I don't understand why they didn't use one in the first place as it doesn't need the venting

The service tech at the stealership explained that their is a problem with the Delco side post batteries leaking from the terminals, and with the newer models with the battery under the seat there is a possibility of them eating through the floor board.

sebring06RTP.jpg

I had another guy tell me about the same problems with an AC delco battery, car was under warranty and they gave him free battery several times but no one came and repaired his driveway, He bought a Wal Mart Battery and no more leak last 3 years. He had a 96 Eldo.

Mike

Die Hard Gold hands down. I have them in my wifes '96 Jeep, my '88 Sedan Deville and when my '01 STS dattery dies, Die Hard Gold will be its replacement.

By the way I had an extra one sitting in my basement for about 10 months or so then my brother needed it, that was 6 months ago. He has no problem as of date.

Peace Out ByStorm

Die Hard Gold hands down. I have them in my wifes '96 Jeep, my '88 Sedan Deville and when my '01 STS dattery dies, Die Hard Gold will be its replacement.

By the way I had an extra one sitting in my basement for about 10 months or so then my brother needed it, that was 6 months ago. He has no problem as of date.

Peace Out ByStorm

What is the Die Hard Gold application number for your '01 STS?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I had a Die-Hard in my old Cutlass and it worked fine. I worked at Advance Auto at the time, and this lady comes up in a Buick and requests that I replace the battery. I offer to test, but she says, no, I know it's bad. So, out comes the AC-Delco, and in goes a new Champion. I test the AC battery after she's gone and of course, it's still good. So into the Cutlass it goes and it worked great until I sold it.

My Seville has an AC-Delco Professional battery in it, and there is no corrosion, and the cables are clean. It's the second battery for this 7 year old car. I'll probably never buy a non-AC battery for the Cadillac...I've had too good of luck with them to try anything else.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'm not sure what you mean but, got to any Sears and give them the  information for your vehicle (they will ask) and they will hook you up.

Peace ByStorm

I'm willing to bury this dead horse but my point in several posts to this thread remains: -- ACDelco is the only source for a "bolt-in" battery for 1998 - 2004 (K platform) Sevilles.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

With all the electronics under the hood these days that are very suseptable to corrosive fumes and fluids I would not use any battery but a sealed type such as the Optima. The envrinomental conditions under the hood (heat) can really stress a unsealed battey over time and set up conditions for all sorts of headaches. I switched to Optima on my STS and a few other cars, and have had great sucess for some time and miles now.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived