CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Metal line from bottom of radiator

Yungd145

Ok on my 4.9l the radiator started leaking coolant from the passenger side bottom of radiator. I thought it could he the lower radiator hose connecting to the water pump but since I changed it, it looks like it got worst!!!

Could I have put the tube on backwards? Maybe the clamps were too tight, it barely fit around the tube and I had to open it all the way to wrap it around the tube and I still tightened it pretty tight..

I took a better look and o see coolant looks like it's coming from the the metal line right on top of the lower radiator hose. Does it have an oring? How do I remove it to change o-ring?

It was a slow leak at first before I changed the lower hose((((oh yea I reused the spring from inside the bottom hose)))) now it's all over the ground and I spent my like half my whole check on like 5 gallons of coolant, tubes, gaskets, thermostat,and radiator cap and itall just leaks out!! Any help would be appreciated!!

Maybe it's always been the metal line and maybe I put the lower hose on backwards so now it's leaking more?!!!.... Wat u think??

That is the transmission cooler line which is connected to the transmission cooler located inside of the radiator side tank. You may need to tighten that big nut (35mm?) which seals the internal cooler to the side tank by means of a flat big o-ring.

Another possibility is a tiny crack somewhere nearby you cannot see. The side tanks are plastic and they may become very brittle on a 16 years old car.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Yea there are 2 one on each side of the radiator but I'm talking about the one on the passenger side right on top of the bottom radiator hose!! It looks like it might be leakin from the o-ring.

......... Or I'm really thinkin it's the hose because when I squeeze the bottom hose i see drips of coolant hitting the cardboard I placed under the car.

Can the clamp be too tight?

Is there a wrong way to put the bottom hose on?

I also hear coolant boiling from the thermostat housing and smoke coming out!

I opened the housing but there was no thermostat even there, but it still boils after putting one in.

As far as I remember the o-ring is inside the radiator tank, so you cannot replace it. But careful tightening of that big nut can help IF the o-ring is the problem.

The lower radiator hose may be defective (a cut), or the radiator tank fitting you pit the hose on is cracked. It is strange someone would remove the thermostat... It looks like the car belonged to someone who did strange things to it.

That said, I am afraid the coolant is not of right 50/50 concentration. Find the source of leak, if fixable , fix it, drain all old coolant, put a new thermostat, correct coolant mixture, a tube of Bar's Leaks Golden seal coolant supplement you can buy at a local Wal-Mart (it is a powder) and add it to the radiator neck (not into coolant reservoir).

By the way, the side radiator tanks are known to develop cracks. Inspect carefully the side tank all around, not only the hose connection part.

Check the radiator side tanks for bulging and/or cracks. My guess it that is where the coolant leak is.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Tell me about it..... The guy I bought the car from had all the vacuum lines cross crossed, a/c wasn't working, cel, ses, abs, tc, all lights were on! Now I fixed all except the one that comes on when the car reaches normal operating temps it's a code p030 current... Any help on this???

I'm going to try and change the hose once more because I don't see any cracks or bulges... I'm going to use the old metal clamp that was on the old hose see if it makes a difference. Can I just take the spring out of that hose maybe the spring is the problem it was kind of bent up from when I was trying to force it in the hose!

I use the peak 50/50 don't add water coolant that mixes with any.

When I changed te lower ruby I only drained the radiator not the whole system!!! Could that be why it's boiling over?

Maybe there was water still in the block and when I put the coolant (that doesn't need water mixed in) they mixed making it the wrong mixture?????

Hahah this is why I'm asking y'all for help, I'm lost!

Thanks too by the way for the insight on what's going on with my baby!!

I use the peak 50/50 don't add water coolant that mixes with any.

When I changed te lower ruby I only drained the radiator not the whole system!!! Could that be why it's boiling over?

Maybe there was water still in the block and when I put the coolant (that doesn't need water mixed in) they mixed making it the wrong mixture?????

Hahah this is why I'm asking y'all for help, I'm lost!

Thanks too by the way for the insight on what's going on with my baby!!

The 4.9 engine cooling system is very simple and reliable. Do not get frustrated. The radiator drain will give you only about a gallon of coolant. The whole system uses as far as I remember 11 qts. By the way, I used to siphon coolant from the radiator neck every year. If the original mixture is correct, that is enough.

Now, the cracks on the side tank usually visible when it is hot (they open up). Use a flashlight and inspect all the side tank, particularly the upper side facing the fans. I will be surprised if you do not find any cracks particularly on the inlet (driver side) tank. It may be a disaster waiting to happen.

Replace the lower radiator hose if it looks like collapced or twisted.

Buy a set of FACTORY service manuals if you gonna work on your Cadillac.

Suddenly you say, "is that why it is boiling over"

You must check

1) that the thermostat is good

2) that you have at least a 50/50 coolant to water mixture

3) That the system holds pressure, fix leaks till it does, check cap for correct cap and that it holds pressure, fix leaky radiator

4) check fan operation

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yea there are 2 one on each side of the radiator but I'm talking about the one on the passenger side right on top of the bottom radiator hose!! It looks like it might be leakin from the o-ring.

......... Or I'm really thinkin it's the hose because when I squeeze the bottom hose i see drips of coolant hitting the cardboard I placed under the car.

Can the clamp be too tight?

Is there a wrong way to put the bottom hose on?

I also hear coolant boiling from the thermostat housing and smoke coming out!

I opened the housing but there was no thermostat even there, but it still boils after putting one in.

Edited to delete response.

The car seems tO inky leak when the car is cold and sitting overnight! I changed the thermostat and put the sealant around it!

It stopped overheating for now!!

Also I have a p030 code pull up and I changed my o2 sensor but it's still on!! I was told it was the isc motor that was tampered with when I was trying to clear my codes, I just need to know what do I set the idle speed to??? And how do I go about setting it to normal??

The car seems tO inky leak when the car is cold and sitting overnight! I changed the thermostat and put the sealant around it!

It stopped overheating for now!!

Also I have a p030 code pull up and I changed my o2 sensor but it's still on!! I was told it was the isc motor that was tampered with when I was trying to clear my codes, I just need to know what do I set the idle speed to??? And how do I go about setting it to normal??

What is exactly "inky leak"? I would not worry about idle speed. First FIND and fix the leak so you would not get stranded if say, your radiator tank falls eventually apart.

Sorry it was a typo.... I meant it only leaks when the cr has sat overnight and barely any when warming up or driving!!

I took the radiator out and no visible cracks but the bottom tube is wet like the coolant it seeping out somehow.. I turned the tube around and it looks like it fits better.

Can it just be the metal clamp that tighten the hose on the radiator?

The clamp I used was kinda small but I opened it all the way wrapped it around the tube and tightened it.....

Sorry it was a typo.... I meant it only leaks when the cr has sat overnight and barely any when warming up or driving!!

I took the radiator out and no visible cracks but the bottom tube is wet like the coolant it seeping out somehow.. I turned the tube around and it looks like it fits better.

Can it just be the metal clamp that tighten the hose on the radiator?

The clamp I used was kinda small but I opened it all the way wrapped it around the tube and tightened it.....

Yes, it could be a bad clamp. You do have leaks when you drive, it just dries out. When engine is hot the pressure increases, so do the leaks. Get a new clamp from Advance Autoparts or a dealer. Tell them it is for radiator hose.

Again it says engine coolant hot idle engine.....

Ima try with the Old clamp hopefully it works or is there any radiator sealant you recommend? In case it really is a crack in the radiator?!...

I heard pepper works good?!!..

Big puddle of coolant under car again!!!

Again it says engine coolant hot idle engine.....

Ima try with the Old clamp hopefully it works or is there any radiator sealant you recommend? In case it really is a crack in the radiator?!...

I heard pepper works good?!!..

Big puddle of coolant under car again!!!

Sealant will not stop such a big leak. If you cannot find it, take it to a shop. Let them pressure test the system and find the leak. An external leak should be easy to find.

Archived