CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire Recommendations

Wildcard

Hey guys i was woundering if any one with exp could recommend to me some good tiers for my 2000 deville. safty and reliabilty is my #1 concern but id also like them to have long tread life,grip in dry and wet condetions and ride nice and smooth. no michellens or related tiers please. i just had a Michelin exp tread separation while i was doing 90mph resulting in 3k $ worth of damnge including a ABS sensor that was ripped off, thank goodness for full coverage;).But i'll tell you that was one wild ride. also iv seen it happen a lot with other people.my step dad had 2 new ones blow out on his truck in the same night no joke.

the last tiers i bought were for my 2005 monte carlo ls. they are goodyear eagel triple tread. iv had them for over a year and so far there great. fantastic traction and beyond fantastic grip even when cutting threw standing water on the highway.and so far good wear. the down side is there noisey. real noisey.prob the noisest CAR tier iv heard. though unless some one can recommend a better buy for me i'll put them on my caddy as well as minus the noise i love them, they even look cool wink.gif. plus there a bit pricey but still with in my budget. i cant afford any super high end tiers. id say some were in the ball park of 150$ or below a tier is my budget.i live in north florida so snow is not a factor but we do see a lot of rain.

thanks in advance

I have Yokohama tires on mine.. but they are more pricey than you indicated you wanted.

This thread has a lot of info on tires.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=348

Also look on the web at Discount Tire.

There is a TON of info there also.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MSN_Local&s_kwcid=TC-5888-4932781410-e-441218391

Posted Image

Don't pan Michelin because you had a bad experience with one tire.

Michelin in my opinion is the best. Maybe you had a damaged tire or wear that you did not know about.

Check the Hydroedge for a quiet riding tire, if you want an awesome riding tire consider a Pilot

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hey guys i was woundering if any one with exp could recommend to me some good tiers for my 2000 deville. safty and reliabilty is my #1 concern but id also like them to have long tread life,grip in dry and wet condetions and ride nice and smooth. no michellens or related tiers please. i just had a Michelin exp tread separation while i was doing 90mph resulting in 3k $ worth of damnge including a ABS sensor that was ripped off, thank goodness for full coverage;).But i'll tell you that was one wild ride. also iv seen it happen a lot with other people.my step dad had 2 new ones blow out on his truck in the same night no joke.

the last tiers i bought were for my 2005 monte carlo ls. they are goodyear eagel triple tread. iv had them for over a year and so far there great. fantastic traction and beyond fantastic grip even when cutting threw standing water on the highway.and so far good wear. the down side is there noisey. real noisey.prob the noisest CAR tier iv heard. though unless some one can recommend a better buy for me i'll put them on my caddy as well as minus the noise i love them, they even look cool wink.gif. plus there a bit pricey but still with in my budget. i cant afford any super high end tiers. id say some were in the ball park of 150$ or below a tier is my budget.i live in north florida so snow is not a factor but we do see a lot of rain.

thanks in advance

When your tire choice is based upon how long they last, you may be showing some ignorance of what that actually means. Hard tires give worse rides and poor traction compared to soft tires. The traction and ride your tires can provide should outweigh your disdain for replacing them more often. Soft may be safer and probably are. You do not wear leather soles on winter days because they lack grip. Tires are like that. My pref is more related to upsizing for many reasons including more clearance for snow and easier ingress and egress. I live in Michigan and also like to look for an agressive and deep tread. I just raised a 2010 Corvette and a 2010 CTS Sport Wagon some by going to taller aspect ratio tires. If you want to know which tires are actually better, go to TireRack.com and check out the surveys. This site provides great info on wear, snow and ice traction, noise, cornering, etc., but once again - do not put too much weight on how many miles you get out of a tire unless you only drive in a straight line on clear roads at high speeds. Also, when someone recommends Yokohama tires, please consider the price of most anything we buy can include your neighbor's job, your country's security and your children's future, so please try to buy American. Thank you and my children and grandchildren also thank you.

Don't pan Michelin because you had a bad experience with one tire.

Michelin in my opinion is the best. Maybe you had a damaged tire or wear that you did not know about.

Check the Hydroedge for a quiet riding tire, if you want an awesome riding tire consider a Pilot

I agree with you BodybyFisher... Michelin has some great tires and a very good track record. I have had many sets of their tires including the set of Michelin LTX A/T 2's I just put on my Tahoe. It is the 5th set of tires I put on that truck (251K miles now!) and by far the lasted the longest and performed the best of the 3 choices I tried on the truck, especially in the first 50-75% of their life. They can be pricey of course, but what is it worth to you and what are they going on is the biggest qestions. I just drove thru almost 300 miles of blizzard-like cond. last weekend with great confidence due mostly to these great tires.

My Eldo has a few issues and just not sure how long I'm going to keep it... I couldn't justify the extra cost, I felt. I had great luck with the General Altimax HP tires on my Buick Riviera, so I just chose those for my Eldo as well. Very happy with them and far better traction and quieter ride than the Brigestone Insignia SE tires that were on there. For $92 a tire they are a fantastic choice.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+HP&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=26VR6AMAXHP&tab=Sizes

Good luck with your search!

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

tell the tire store employee what you want. ride comfort? noise level? expected tread life? how do you drive? a deville is not a sports car. big. long. heavy. i have a grand prix and a seville and they ride different. florida is hot and wet. you mentioned that driving thru standing water is common. look at sites that rank tire performance in wet/dry conditions to get some ideas. i have not seen a website that lists american made tires though.

When you look at the tires at TireRack.com, it shows country of manufacture. Tire Rack offers a great deal of info and some superb prices. They also charge no sales tax unless they have a facility in your state. Shipping is surprisingly reasonable, also. They are not good for their own suggestions, though, due to so many lawyers in this country so they always recommend staying with stock size, stock this and stock that. I like to fill my wheelwells with rubber and have learned tire size changing can do good things in many ways. Sorry about my one post above that happened inadvertently.........

When your tire choice is based upon how long they last, you may be showing some ignorance of what that actually means. Hard tires give worse rides and poor traction compared to soft tires. The traction and ride your tires can provide should outweigh your disdain for replacing them more often. Soft may be safer and probably are. You do not wear leather soles on winter days because they lack grip. Tires are like that. My pref is more related to upsizing for many reasons including more clearance for snow and easier ingress and egress. I live in Michigan and also like to look for an agressive and deep tread. I just raised a 2010 Corvette and a 2010 CTS Sport Wagon some by going to taller aspect ratio tires. If you want to know which tires are actually better, go to TireRack.com and check out the surveys. This site provides great info on wear, snow and ice traction, noise, cornering, etc., but once again - do not put too much weight on how many miles you get out of a tire unless you only drive in a straight line on clear roads at high speeds. Also, when someone recommends Yokohama tires, please consider the price of most anything we buy can include your neighbor's job, your country's security and your children's future, so please try to buy American. Thank you and my children and grandchildren also thank you.

I just spent a fair amount of time at Tire Rack...

In looking at the list of tires... I didn't see country on manufacture listed anywhere.

I "ALWAYS" buy American .. when I can.

I am willing to pay more for a quality American product...

But I have to agree with Body by Fisher about the Michelin tires.

For the past 30 or 35 years I have run MOSTLY MICHELIN tires on all of my vehicles.

Considering the approximately ONE AND A HALF MILLION MILES miles, or more, the various tires have covered and the way I drive.. the Michelin has been the best tires I have ever ran.

And before you bash me for now running Yokohama tires...at the time I bought these... a year ago... there were VERY FEW CHOICES for 245x50x18 tires.

Most were summer only tires or sport tires.

Per the reviews AT THAT TIME...the Yokohama were one of the few tires available to me that even partially met the criteria I was looking for.

I needed a smooth riding, quite tire.

Most of my driving is on the highway and the Factory BridgeSTONES were very noisy, and very rough riding.

Sorry about you, your kids and grand kids... reckon y'all can't be grateful for me buying what I did.

Posted Image

I am about as American as you can get and a statement like this is assinine.

Competition is what the world is about, if a foreign company makes the best tire, use that tire, when a domestic's sales slump, they will rise to the competition. Think CTS-V and now GM who has has a record year in sales, the CTS-V is now one of the best cars in the world.

Protectionism to me, breeds poor products, build the best product and sales will follow. If that means getting rid of the bloodsucking unions so be it

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I am about as American as you can get and a statement like this is assinine.

Competition is what the world is about, if a foreign company makes the best tire, use that tire, when a domestic's sales slump, they will rise to the competition. Think CTS-V, its now one of the best cars in the world.

Protectionism to me, breeds poor products, build the best product and sales will follow.

If that means getting rid of the bloodsucking unions so be it

I too am an American and buy American ... WHEN I CAN.

The last foreign car I bought was in 1966...a brand new 1966 VW.

That was the biggest POS car I have ever owned.

It was on it's 3rd engine at 35,000 miles.

Since then it has been mostly GM.,, with a couple of Fords and one Dodge Pickup and a couple of Plymouths.

But, that being said...I am also going to buy the best product I can get for my money... no matter "WHO" makes it.

Wisconsin is making a start on getting rid of the Unions... :)

Posted Image

thanks for the replys guys. i dont mean to slam michalin but iv just seen and heard of to many failurs to buy them. the one that went out on me was the first tire iv had do any thing like that so im going to pass on them. please dont any one feel angry with me over it. as far as buying USA products, i try to but to be honest when it comes to something that is as important to my safty as tiers i'll buy what ever is the best i can afford. Like the guy a few post up said, compatition breeds inovation ect. if a USA based company cant keep up with the compatition from over seas then i dont see them worth what little money iv got, not that im not for supporting my country. every car iv owned has been USA. 1980 dodge omni,1992 f150 flarside,05 montecarlo and my 2k deville. my mother,step father and father bought all domestic for better or worse. But like i said i dont have a lot of cash income so when i do buy something i have to get the best bang for my buck.

Any way ill check out that site you guys recommended me. i did check out discounttiers.com wich is were i normly get my tiers. so far iv loosly narrowed down my choices to these four.

Good year eagle GT 100$

Yokohamma AVID ENvigor 106$

Yokohama ADVAN 5.4 120$

good year triple tread 138$ "which is what im running on my monte"

Again please dont any one be offended by my not wanting Michaliens. And thank you guys for all the advice.

thanks for the replys guys. i dont mean to slam michalin but iv just seen and heard of to many failurs to buy them. the one that went out on me was the first tire iv had do any thing like that so im going to pass on them. please dont any one feel angry with me over it. as far as buying USA products, i try to but to be honest when it comes to something that is as important to my safty as tiers i'll buy what ever is the best i can afford. Like the guy a few post up said, compatition breeds inovation ect. if a USA based company cant keep up with the compatition from over seas then i dont see them worth what little money iv got, not that im not for supporting my country. every car iv owned has been USA. 1980 dodge omni,1992 f150 flarside,05 montecarlo and my 2k deville. my mother,step father and father bought all domestic for better or worse. But like i said i dont have a lot of cash income so when i do buy something i have to get the best bang for my buck.

Any way ill check out that site you guys recommended me. i did check out discounttiers.com wich is were i normly get my tiers. so far iv loosly narrowed down my choices to these four.

Good year eagle GT 100$

Yokohama ADVAN 5.4 120$

Again please dont any one be offended by my not wanting Michaliens. And thank you guys for all the advice.

Hey man...I'm not offended at all...

I am the one running the Yokohamas Advan S 4... :)

I have been very happy with the tires.

They grip well and are pretty quite.

But in the past... I have ran mostly Michelin and they have gave me excellent service.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with them.

The ones for your car are $100 bucks a tire cheaper than for my car. :)

Posted Image

I would read the reviews on tirerack and see what you find, if you look at this survey, you can see that we are big Michelin fans

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3489

I dont have any knowledge of the tires you are considering. But I would consider the Yokohama S4 for $110 that Jim is using since he likes it, see it at tirerack.com, I just did a search and they have it

Good year eagle GT 100$

Yokohama ADVAN 5.4 120$

But in the past... I have ran mostly Michelin and they have gave me excellent service.

geeze, why such a huge price def? are you running 20+ inch rims or something?

Good year eagle GT 100$

Yokohama ADVAN 5.4 120$

geeze, why such a huge price def? are you running 20+ inch rims or something?

My car came stock with 245X50X18 on it.

Seems like "ALL" the 18 inch stuff is really high... I don't know why.

Posted Image

all right guys. i put on a set of the goodyear triple treads. my front drivers side tire got so bad i could not wait any longer. it was vibrating really bad. i think it had a bubble on it or something. any way they told me it would take 3 days to get in the Yoko's but they could have the goodyears in today. cost me 860 odd dollors with mount,ballence ect and all the insurrance stuff. 155$ a tire iirc, about 25$ more than was listed on there web site. i got them at discount tires. a bit more than i wanted to spend but its done.

so far so good. they ride just fine and grip like a mo-fo lol. Car feels much more sure footed even when just crusing down the highway, it feels less wobbly and i can tell right away they are much better when takeing a curve or cornver enthusasticly :P.So far the tires are completly silent when iv the windows up but im sure they will get noiser as i stack on the miles but even still there MUCH quiter than the ones on my monte, prob because the caddy is a more solid built car and i hear less road noise ect as it is. Any way thanks for all the advice ect. i do appreciat it.

860 is 215/tire? used to wonder about tire hazard. got a new set on sons car. 2 months later he hit curb and blew sidewall. was at school 100 miles from home. went to dealer in town and he said he was not a company store but a franchise store so no warranty. called local office and manager sent new tire to dealer. says thats the way it is with stores. but he did me a favor. who knew?

860 is 215/tire? used to wonder about tire hazard. got a new set on sons car. 2 months later he hit curb and blew sidewall. was at school 100 miles from home. went to dealer in town and he said he was not a company store but a franchise store so no warranty. called local office and manager sent new tire to dealer. says thats the way it is with stores. but he did me a favor. who knew?

If you are talking about Discount Tire... that's kinda odd.

I have had tires fixed/balanced/replaced at different Discount Tire shops all over the US, over the last 20/25 years... and have never (so far) ran into "ANY" kind of a problem.

So far... :)

But obviously I have never been to all of them... LOL

The warranty has always paid off for me.

The original BridgeSTONES on the DTS were all replaced AT LEAST once.. most of them were replaced twice. LOL

Posted Image

that price included mount,ballence,insurrance,disposal of old tiers,tax ect. its about what it cost me last year when i put them on my montecarlo. Any way im totaly depressed right now. i have brand new tires,a full tank of gas and a cool car ......and no ware to go lol. i have no life :P

Any way im totaly depressed right now.

i have brand new tires,a full tank of gas and a cool car ......and no ware to go lol. i have no life :P

I just have two words for you..........

ROAD TRIP... :yupi3ti:

Posted Image

Archived