CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Disable ONSTAR

• 7 months later...

I would say just unplug the module in the trunk behind the carpet in the right rear. It is just forward of the antenna.

I have never had any issues with my tomtom in my 97 Seville which has the integrated phone, hands free, abd onstar. I am honestly not a fan of garmin personally

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 6 months later...

I have disabled the OnStar in every unit I have owned with it. I just did my STS-V too. The hardest part to do it correctly is to find the VCIM junction block. This info is available by going over a shop manual or registering with Alldata and just looking for it.

To disable COMPLETELY:

Locate the VCIM and disconnect the two outer lines, one will be a computer wire and the other will be a phone line. When disconnected this prevents any info from being received or sent.

For added security on late models you can disconnect three of the four remaining plugs into the VCIM. Unplug J1, J2,and J3. These are all of the connections for all of the telemetry data and when they are disconnected it can not even be collected yet alone sent.

On Vettes I dc'd these and on the Caddy I just unplugged the phone and computer lines at both ends of the VCIM.

NOTE: if you dc OnStar you will no longer have a nav system for obvious reasons - - can ya' read a map?

I have disabled the OnStar in every unit I have owned with it. I just did my STS-V too. The hardest part to do it correctly is to find the VCIM junction block. This info is available by going over a shop manual or registering with Alldata and just looking for it.

To disable COMPLETELY:

Locate the VCIM and disconnect the two outer lines, one will be a computer wire and the other will be a phone line. When disconnected this prevents any info from being received or sent.

For added security on late models you can disconnect three of the four remaining plugs into the VCIM. Unplug J1, J2,and J3. These are all of the connections for all of the telemetry data and when they are disconnected it can not even be collected yet alone sent.

On Vettes I dc'd these and on the Caddy I just unplugged the phone and computer lines at both ends of the VCIM.

NOTE: if you dc OnStar you will no longer have a nav system for obvious reasons - - can ya' read a map?

Just curious... why do you feel the need to disable OnStar ??

Posted Image

To disable COMPLETELY:

Just curious... why do you feel the need to disable OnStar ??

Jim,

Long story short was when I was called about an 08 Vette and asked if I drove the car. After replying that I do I was told my OnStar did not seem to work..told them I DC'd it and thy said I couldn't do that as it was not safe. Oh please! Not to add I own the thing don't tell me what I can and can not do with it.

Told them of an acquaintance who got a message, while doing hot laps at Pocono, tellin him they were going to slow him down - I was flabbergasted. Frankly, I don't think they need to know what anyone is doing in a car or where they are doing it - it is just my sense of paranoia I guess.

olddog

Jim,

Long story short was when I was called about an 08 Vette and asked if I drove the car. After replying that I do I was told my OnStar did not seem to work..told them I DC'd it and thy said I couldn't do that as it was not safe. Oh please! Not to add I own the thing don't tell me what I can and can not do with it.

Told them of an acquaintance who got a message, while doing hot laps at Pocono, tellin him they were going to slow him down - I was flabbergasted. Frankly, I don't think they need to know what anyone is doing in a car or where they are doing it - it is just my sense of paranoia I guess.

olddog

I have the OnStar in my 2006 DTS Performance Sedan.

I use it a good bit when I am on trips... to locate good places to eat... direction to places when I am in a strange town .. etc.. etc...

A couple of years ago, OnStar called me when I was on vacation in Colorado.

I was on an old, really crooked mountain road and was driving rather "BRISKLY"...

Just having a good time. :)

Just before they called, I had it sideways a couple of times on some of the corners.

Then I stopped at one of the "SCENIC OVERLOOKS", because I had just got "THE LOOK" from Darling Wife...

We were just getting out of the car when they called...

They said the stability system had alerted them to the car being sideways and then stopping...

They were just concerned that maybe there had been an accident...

I told them I was just playing around on the mountain roads, and the girl laughed and said

"Have fun... if you need us... push the button" :)

The bad part of "THAT" was then Darling Wife told me...

"SEE.. even OnStar thinks you were driving too fast"...

When I am on a trip out in the western states... there are times it is over 100MPH for most of the day.

I have had it over 140 a couple of times... had it just over 130 yesterday... playing with a GTO...

That one time in the mountains is the only time they have ever called me...

I just don't worry about 'em... :) :)

Posted Image

Did you know that all of these 'fun excursions' are stored for "future reference"? Yeah, my thought too.

I don't believe that for a minute...

But, for the sake of discussion, I will concede that it might be possible...

But even if they are... why should I care ??

I don't see why they would be stored anywhere... and even if they were... it would have to be for a relatively short time.

Can you just imagine the hard drive storage space that it would take to store the movements of every car that is now, and ever has been, equipped with OnStar, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, FOR YEARS...

There are not that many available hard drives in the world, to store that much data on...

Posted Image

One of my customers in Australia was in the outback going about 85 to 90mph on an all but deserted straight into 'infinity'. He tried to explain the vastness there and I tried to understand but can not.

He drives a V8 Holden and when he arrived home three days later he had a time dated ticket in his mailbox from his OnStar. He said not only did they have the time but they had coordinates and how long he was at speed.

I am led to believe that some of the provinces in Canada are experimenting with this too.

And I want this why? No thank you.

One of my customers in Australia was in the outback going about 85 to 90mph on an all but deserted straight into 'infinity'. He tried to explain the vastness there and I tried to understand but can not.

He drives a V8 Holden and when he arrived home three days later he had a time dated ticket in his mailbox from his OnStar. He said not only did they have the time but they had coordinates and how long he was at speed.

I am led to believe that some of the provinces in Canada are experimenting with this too.

And I want this why? No thank you.

I can understand your concern... really I do.

I have given some serious thought to disconnecting mine also.

If I ever hear of anything like that in the states... I will take mine out forthwith... :)

So far, I have never heard of anything like this happening here.

I have spent countless hours in this car and the one I had before I got this one, in the Western parts of the country running at WAY ABOVE legal speeds and have never had an issue... "YET"

If I ever do... OnStar is gone.

Weather, road conditions and traffic permitting, once I get West of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area... it is seldom below 90.

Often it is in the triple digit range.

All I can say is....So far... so good...

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Over Easter weekend in Speedwell, TN I was trying to find a marina. No dice - what marina?

My wife was very quick to tell me that I 'just had to DC the OnStar and with it the Nav' and now, with no local map, we can't find the place we are staying. And she was absolutely correct too. I said, very lamely, that prior to GPS all used maps and asked for directions when lost but that didn't work with her at all. She was not angry but in a 'told you so' mode. Her OnStar is connected as per her wishes but all of mine are DC'd.

However, stopping at the local garage got us fine directions and all ended well. So, was it worth it to be off the grid and have to ask for directions to get to this place? For me it was worth it but not for my wife; this took about another 20 minutes to be honest.

Bottom line is if your wife is pretty normal do what you want with it but if she is quick to get angry - - well, you may want to consider options. Thus we see one of the down sides of DC'ing OnStar.

Probably unlike most people... I actually use the Onstar a good bit when we are traveling.

We travel in a pretty unstructured fashion... we know the general direction we are going, but we have no schedule to keep and no itinerary to adhere to.

We just drive till we are ready to stop for the night... which can sometimes make for an interesting evening... trying to find a decent place to stay...

Onstar is very good about finding you a place to stay and recommending a place to eat.

They have made hotel reservations for me countless times.

My Darling Wife, sometimes wants to eat at a particular chain restaurant when we are on the road...

I just push the button and OnStar tells me how far it is to the next one and which exit to take...

Saves me a lot of trouble and makes her happy..and you know the saying about a happy wife... :)

Last year for about 6 months... my Brother was on a "Lets eat at a new place every Friday night" thing.

He is in the A/C business and therefore does a lot of driving around and he finds new places to go.

He would call me on Friday evening and tell me the name of the new place and start giving me directions, and I would tell him I didn't need directions... I knew where it was.

He was puzzled for three or four months about how I knew every place in town and where it was at.

We were going some place in my car one day when it finally dawned on him that I had been using OnStar to find the places and that I had just been messing with him.

Posted Image

Archived