CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2005 STS-V8 Catalytic Converter Problems

Anyone with a 2005 STS with a V8 engine should be aware, if you haven't already received notice from GM, that the catalytic converters are prematurely breaking down and that GM will replace them free of charge. If the check engine light is on take it to a Cadillac dealership for diagnosis. If it involves one or both catalytic converters then schedule an appointment for replacement. If the dealership determines the problem is one or both catalytic converters, GM will replace them free of charge. This warranty has been extended by GM until 12 years or 200,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I had both catalytic converters replaced. The job took all morning into the afternoon.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I´ve the problem with my ´05 STS with V8...

Where can I read this warranty from GM,

because my STS is an US model and I live in Germany.

Where can I download a certification from GM

that the german dealer repair the converter with warranty ?

Thanks

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a link to the notice. You can zoom it in with the icon at the upper right side. Then you can zoom it with the +/- icons on the left. The notice says:

October 2010

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2004-2005 model year Cadillac SRX or a 2005 model year Cadillac STS vehicle, equipped with a 4.6L engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2004-2005 model year Cadillac SRX and 2005 model year Cadillac STS vehicles, equipped with a 4.6L engine, may have a condition where the Check Engine light may illuminate, there may be a lack of engine power, or there may be an underbody noise due to the failure of the catalytic converter.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the catalytic converter assemblies. If this condition occurs on your 2004-2005 model year Cadillac SRX or 2005 model year Cadillac STS vehicle, equipped with a 4.6L engine, within 12 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by October 31, 2011.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

• 2 months later...

Do you know if this applys to the 2006 STS V8. We are having the same problems and have been told by a GM dealer that both of our converters are bad and need to be replaced!

Here is a link to the notice. You can zoom it in with the icon at the upper right side. Then you can zoom it with the +/- icons on the left. The notice says:

October 2010

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2004-2005 model year Cadillac SRX or a 2005 model year Cadillac STS vehicle, equipped with a 4.6L engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2004-2005 model year Cadillac SRX and 2005 model year Cadillac STS vehicles, equipped with a 4.6L engine, may have a condition where the Check Engine light may illuminate, there may be a lack of engine power, or there may be an underbody noise due to the failure of the catalytic converter.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the catalytic converter assemblies. If this condition occurs on your 2004-2005 model year Cadillac SRX or 2005 model year Cadillac STS vehicle, equipped with a 4.6L engine, within 12 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by October 31, 2011.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

My "other car"

100_05472.jpg

1968 Pontiac GTO, 400, 4 speed, 366 h.p., matching numbers car

*Get well soon, John Force!!!*

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know if this applys to the 2006 STS V8. We are having the same problems and have been told by a GM dealer that both of our converters are bad and need to be replaced!

To my knowledge, GM has not issued an extended warranty for the 2006 model year. If they did, I would think you would have been advised by the GM service department.

Archived