CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

looking for a donor car for a engine

rockfangd

Hi all I am looking possibly for a donor cadillac between 1996-1997 with a good engine. Looking to swap an engine and possibly a good transmission into my SLS. Looking to purchase around February so I am taking my time.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Personally, with all the work required to R&R the engine, I would recommend repairing your existing engine. Then you know what you have. A used engine could blow the headgaskets or have other problems in short order and then you'd need to R&R the engine again.

A good, used engine will probably run $1200 from a junkyard. You can fix your existing engine for around $800 in parts.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Personally, with all the work required to R&R the engine, I would recommend repairing your existing engine. Then you know what you have. A used engine could blow the headgaskets or have other problems in short order and then you'd need to R&R the engine again.

A good, used engine will probably run $1200 from a junkyard. You can fix your existing engine for around $800 in parts.

I am very aware of the possibility unfortunately, but the only place around here strictly quoted me 3,313, for the job and although this is the main plan I a just running a few possible options.

GM FAN FOREVER

Another thing that has taken a lot of '96-'97 engines out of the market is the idiotic "cash for clunkers" program... when you search for an engine on car-part.com, any time there is an engine that says "parts only" or CARS, that is one that was destroyed due to the cash for clunker mandate.

Timeserting the Northstar is not a difficult job. It takes some time but is doable as a DIY project. For about $800 in parts to Timesert and re-seal the engine and you're good for 250,000 more miles.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 6 months later...

I have a 1996 seville that I'm getting ready to part out. It has 98k on it, was well maintained with regular oil/plug changes. The car really runs good still, but it was t-boned and the driver side doors and body were smashed beyond repair, being a unibody car. If your looking for a new engine & transmission combo I can do that too since there were 2 types of engines in these cars, the only difference being the camshaft and a higher ratio final gear to compensate for the camshaft difference. Let me know here or thru e-mail @ matt_jr@rocketmail.com if your still interested in doing a swap.

• 2 years later...

hey wuts up man my name is rich i was reading ur wanted post and i might have the perfect set up for you. i have a 97 deville with the 4.6L northstar with a fully overhauled tranny im looking to sell the car as a whole. Im looking for a 4x4 vehical so im open for trades besides cash but it has to be worth it. if you would like to talk a little more give me a call at 631-293-0090 and ask for Rich Jr this is my work # im here between 8-5 m-f. i hope to here from u soon ttyl.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I tore down and repaired the engine I had so that is all set. But I would like a trans for my 96 Deville, where are you located?

How much are you looking to get if you were to sell the vehicle?

Thank you for the response

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived