CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DIC Codes(service engine soon)

Hi, out there new to the site as a member but have read very many interesting subjects about caddy's in the past. I had the service engine light come on today and I used the DIC to find that I had a P0741 code (TCC stuck off) okay by the code configuration Its something with the transmission. But what is the TCC I cleared the code and drove the car but the code didn't reappear. Just in case I'd sure like to know what the code meant. Cand someone help

....I used the DIC to find that I had a P0741 code (TCC stuck off) okay by the code configuration Its something with the transmission. But what is the TCC

TCC = torque converter clutch.

....I cleared the code and drove the car but the code didn't reappear.

If the Service Engine light stays OFF for a some period of time, go out and buy a lottery ticket before the rocks orbiting the sun change position.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

....I used the DIC to find that I had a P0741 code (TCC stuck off) okay by the code configuration Its something with the transmission. But what is the TCC

TCC = torque converter clutch.

....I cleared the code and drove the car but the code didn't reappear.

If the Service Engine light stays OFF for a some period of time, go out and buy a lottery ticket before the rocks orbiting the sun change position.

Thanks for responding.

ouch !!! sounds bad........so i take it i have a torque converter problem that's gonna bleed me dry.......any idea about rough cost ?

Thanks for responding.

ouch !!! sounds bad........so i take it i have a torque converter problem that's gonna bleed me dry.......any idea about rough cost ?

I don't see a "problem" unless the code returns every day or every week or every ???

The onboard diagnostic system is very good and getting better. But it ain't perfect (yet).

Erroneous codes do occur.

Someone move this thread to the appropriate forum.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks for responding.

I don't see a "problem" unless the code returns every day or every week or every ???

The onboard diagnostic system is very good and getting better. But it ain't perfect (yet).

Erroneous codes do occur.

I have been driving with TCC codes (TCC engagement problem, and TCC stuck off..they kind of alternate) since I got my car over a year ago. It comes on almost every day...roughly around 45mph. The only ill effect I have noticed is a slight drop in my gas mileage, and the annoyance of the SES light constantly being on. It doesn't SEEM to be effecting my transmission's performance at all..still shifts smooth as ever and my fluid is nice and clean. I'm not saying it's a GOOD thing to have hangin around...but in my humble opinion it isn't worth sweating bullets over.

big4870885.jpg

I get the P0741 every couple of months. Just popped up today as a matter of fact. Hoping it does not start happening more often.

thanks for responding.......spoke with a friend who works on trannys and 4x4's he says that the TCC off shouldn't hurt the transmission if it was TCC on then the car would probably stall as i came to a stop and the cause of this error code is usually a faulty solenoid. will be watching it closely

Ouch that sucks, I have had sour luck on cadillacs with 2 trans related problems.

P0741 TCC solenoid

And the ISS code.

I find that the TCC code has to do with an internal seal inside the transmission that leaks and loses pressure.

It seems to me that it occurs on a behicle that hasnt been driven for an extended period of time and then is driven normally again. It will not allow the tcc solenoid to lock the convrtor around 35mph and up, therefre it throws a service engine light and a service transmissin indicator on the DIC. No matter what the transmission has to be disassembled and resealed with new torque convertor. I have never seen a solenoid be the actual problem in itself which is a downside for one to take the chance of replacing just the solenoid only to have the same exact problem,

Now the ISS is usually the sensor but is still a large PITA to get done.

My bet friend drove his 96 for almost 4 years before the transmission went, the convertor barely ever worked and over the 4 years it did get worse.

The by far worst thing about it is In NYS inspection is not passable with the light on and to complete the drive cycle it isnt easy at all.

My best advice to you. Pray like hell that it doesnt come back and if it does either plan to spend a good amount to ge it fixed or just keep driving it. You shouldnt even notice much of a difference

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Ouch that sucks,

I find that the TCC code has to do with an internal seal inside the transmission that leaks and loses pressure.

It seems to me that it occurs on a behicle that hasnt been driven for an extended period of time and then is driven normally again. It will not allow the tcc solenoid to lock the convrtor around 35mph and up, therefre it throws a service engine light and a service transmissin indicator on the DIC. No matter what the transmission has to be disassembled and resealed with new torque convertor. I have never seen a solenoid be the actual problem in itself which is a downside for one

Nah. I have 84K on mine and it was a daily driver until I retired last April. Now I don't use it nearly as much, but I have gotten the P0741 since Jan. It's been getting more frequent recently. Got it two days ago and again today, though the TCC solenoid IS working. I can verify that with the brake switch test, but I notice less of an RPM drop than I used to so I suspect there is some slippage. I think the PCM trips the P0741 code when a slippage over a certain amount is detected. For now I'm gonna live with it and take a wait and see attitude.

my 1996 deville trans was slipping in o/d.changed the fluid and filters now it will not shift into o/d.1-2-3 and reverse works fine.am getting the 0741 code..also at 55 mph the rpm are 3600 and at 65 the rpm are 4200.fuel mileage has dropped to 15 mpg.caddy has only 123k on it.i am afraid to drive with the rps so hi,motor is really winding out.any suggestions?

my 1996 deville trans was slipping in o/d.changed the fluid and filters now it will not shift into o/d.1-2-3 and reverse works fine.am getting the 0741 code..also at 55 mph the rpm are 3600 and at 65 the rpm are 4200.fuel mileage has dropped to 15 mpg.caddy has only 123k on it.i am afraid to drive with the rps so hi,motor is really winding out.any suggestions?

Just my opinion...but based on the RPM's ...I don't think you are shifting into 3rd...

That looks like the RPM you would be running if it was in 2nd...not 3rd...

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I haven't seen the infamous service engine soon light in awhile. My buddy suggested that I add a transmission conditioner to the tranny fluid. I used Wynns conditioner and it seems to have done the trick....................hope it solved the problem.......will advise if anything changes or if it really worked.

• 4 weeks later...

mine comes on around 55mph only uphill. code will clear and not come back until another large hill. so this is not a terrible thing to drive around with?

My 03 Deville had/has the same issue at 70K miles

P0741 sets when I am driving uphill between 45-55 up a steep hill usually with a full passenger load and cruise control on. I can feel the torque converter clutch disengage and see the RPM's increase on the Tach.

If I travel faster than 60-65 this issue doesn't occur. So I have been resetting the code so far with no significant problems for an additional 20K miles. Anyone know what the true cause is. The Solenoid getting weak or something else?

• 1 year later...

Archived