CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Off Topic...Kind Of

67coupedeville

Water base or oil base. I would think whatever you use to clean up with, either water with soap or thinner would take the paint out. Let it soak, you will need to use some elbow grease. Whatever you do, don't let it continue to dry, leave it in water or thinner.

You must love that shirt, :D Anyway, my guess is that it is a solvent based paint and its unlikely a water based paint as its undercoating. Its difficult to know whether or not the thinner will damage the shirt. It can't make it worse other than spread the paint more, but you really don't have anything to lose, if you ask me. I would dip it in thinner (the proper thinner for the paint used, but that seems to be a problem in your case, maybe you can search on line to see what it thins with), and I would rub the hell out of it back and forth... I dont think you should let it dry long it probably will set more... Thats my humble opinion, good luck

It's oil based. Take it to your local Drycleaners asap. Please don't put anything on it, as it may make the stain worse or color loss may occur! The chemical you put on it may react adversely to the chemical the drycleaners will use. And don't rub it as you may do more harm than good (color loss or damage to fibers). The drycleaners will have POG (paint, oil, grease remover) that will safely take the stain right out without damaging your shirt and they will then dryclean it to flush the POG out. Trust me, as I've been in the Drycleaning business all my life. ;)

It's oil based.  Take it to your local Drycleaners asap.  Please don't put anything on it, as it may make the stain worse or color loss may occur!  The chemical you put on it may react adversely to the chemical the drycleaners will use.  And don't rub it as you may do more harm than good (color loss or damage to fibers).  The drycleaners will have POG (paint, oil, grease remover) that will safely take the stain right out without damaging your shirt and they will then dryclean it to flush the POG out.  Trust me, as I've been in the Drycleaning business all my life. ;)

You saved my hide, bigtime.... :blink: I said to do the total opposite.... (hey it would have looked good from my seat!)... Oh well :D

Hopefully spence is not working on it right now... Wait, don't do it... :lol: Wait I have some more advice "lighter fluid" :lol::lol::lol:

Assuming the undercoating is oil based...and the fabric does not have synthetic fibers....

I'd give some starting fluid (ether) a try - outside with plenty of ventilation. NO Smoking, sparks or open flames ! This might not be exactly according to label... An old-fashioned, (serious) carb cleaner with carbon-tetrachloride might be another choice

Spray the ether through the back side of the fabric while holding the dirty side down (such that the residue falls to the ground). Let it air dry very well before washing.

If stains are embedded in the threads, then clean paper towels may be needed under the fabric to "blot" the stains out (move to another, cleaner substrate and be held).

Escalating the power a few notches... one could soak the fabric in an ultrasonic bath (jewlery cleaner). Then ther's always the trusty low power laser to selectivly vaporize particles (with really-tight focusing). Ah, just how much do you like that shirt anyway ?

Good luck and I hope "she" didn't tell you to put your old clothes on - before you got started ! (been there - done that). :(

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Oh well, you meant well!  You do a great job with your Caddy advice though.  :D

Thank you, but I have BOMBED a few times badly in the last week or so, bbobynski has smacked me down, not that I mind as its all a learning experience. I really don't mind being wrong and having bbobynski correct the issue, it has made me more aware and less apt to blurt out something not fully thought out. Sometimes its a lack of knowledge and I learn something new. There a lot of sharp people on this board, its a a constant learning experience. Sometimes I can go off half cocked and forget that I am still in my mind driving a 91 and the 96 NS system is totally different, I am learning to think first. Like today, the emergency brake in the 91 is vacuum released and on the 96 its an electric solenoid. I enjoy the learing however. What is great is the NS system continues to evolve and blossom. I can definitively say sitting here I will be a Caddy guy forever (unless Cadillac hits a 1980s like decade again :blink: ). Its such a logical car.

Favorite shirt...why risk it? Guaranteed residue and sizing ring with the starting fluid. Take it to the cleaners and let the pros handle it. Might cost you $5.00 and it's a sure bet as opposed to taking a chance of ruining it beyond repair.

Thank you, but I have BOMBED a few times badly in the last week or so, bbobynski has smacked me down badly, not that I mind as its all a learning experience. Sometimes I can go off half cocked and forget that I am still in my mind driving a 91 and the 96 is totally different, I am learning to think first. Like today, the emergency brake in the 91 is vacuum released and on the 96 its an electric solenoid. I enjoy the learing however and what is great about it is the NS system continues to evolve and blossom. I can definitively say sitting here that unless Cadillac hits a 1980s like decade again I will be a Caddy guy forever. Its such a logical car.

We still Love you man! :D

Favorite shirt...why risk it?  Guaranteed residue and sizing ring with the starting fluid.  Take it to the cleaners and let the pros handle it.  Might cost you $5.00 and it's a sure bet as opposed to taking a chance of ruining it beyond repair.

I was just kidding about the lighter fluid (after my original fix, he might as well put a match to it) :lol:

I was just kidding about the lighter fluid (after my original fix, he might as well put a match to it) 

I knew that. I was referring to the advice TDK gave:

I'd give some starting fluid (ether) a try - outside with plenty of ventilation. NO Smoking, sparks or open flames ! This might not be exactly according to label... An old-fashioned, (serious) carb cleaner with carbon-tetrachloride might be another choice

If only people would leave their stains alone and bring them in to the cleaners asap, it would make our job so much easier and thus more effective. What ever you do, don't ever put Dawn on your clothes...if you like them anyways! I hear it every other day, "I put some Dawn on it, hope that helped"...NOT!

If only people would leave their stains alone and bring them in to the cleaners asap, it would make our job so much easier and thus more effective. What ever you do, don't ever put Dawn on your clothes...if you like them anyways! I hear it every other day, "I put some Dawn on it, hope that helped"...NOT!

I always use Dawn 'grease cutter' :lol:

A little Dawn (just enough to turn the water slightly blue) mixed with a little ammonia (industrial strength) and water, works great for ring around the collar and ground in dirt...nothin better! Don't tell anybody though as I haven't yet patented that formula. Dawn on a stain straight can be devastating though...especially if it's not rinsed out well. Leaves a real nice unremovable blue stain...looks real good! :D

The correct way to deal with this problem is to take it to the dry cleaners. They have the necessary solutions and equipment for dealing with this problem. Good luck!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Be very careful when mixing ammonia with any soap or detergent product. If the soap or detergent product contains bleach or any form of bleach, some very nasty and dangerous fumes can form.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I got paint on my fave shirt today :( , anyone have a secret of getting it out? Any witch craft kind of thing or experience would be super duper.

Spence

Next time, remember in addition to wearing your favorite shirt while you paint, throw in the pants too while you're at it. ;)

Assuming the undercoating is oil based...and the fabric does not have synthetic fibers....

I'd give some starting fluid (ether) a try - outside with plenty of ventilation.  NO Smoking, sparks or open flames !  This might not be exactly according to label...  An old-fashioned, (serious) carb cleaner with carbon-tetrachloride might be another choice

Spray the ether through the back side of the fabric while holding the dirty side down (such that the residue falls to the ground).  Let it air dry very well before washing.

If stains are embedded in the threads, then clean paper towels may be needed under the fabric to "blot" the stains out (move to another, cleaner substrate and be held).

Escalating the power a few notches... one could soak the fabric in an ultrasonic bath (jewlery cleaner).  Then ther's always the trusty low power laser to selectivly vaporize particles (with really-tight focusing).  Ah, just how much do you like that shirt anyway ? 

Good luck and I hope "she" didn't tell you to put your old clothes on - before you got started ! (been there - done that).  :(

If you decide to go this route, and I don't recommend it, make sure you HAND WASH the shirt with plenty of soap and warm water after you are done "treating it with flammable substances". Putting the shirt into a washing machine with all those fluids and oils on it might cause a fire inside the washing machine. The inside lid of my Whirlpool has a warning to this effect, never wash anything that's flammable in the machine or has been soaked in oil, grease or any other flammable substance. Fumes can build up inside the machine and sparks inside the motor or transmission, or sparks causes by the timer switch could ignite them. Take it to the dry cleaners instead.

I was just kidding about the lighter fluid (after my original fix, he might as well put a match to it) :lol:

That would fix the shirt for sure. :huh:

Finally a thread where I'm the expert. :P Figures it would have nothing to do with cars. :lol: Trust me though...take it to the cleaners. I've been doing Drycleaning literally ALL my life. Your stain is oil based, so it will need to be flushed with oil based chemicals, i.e. POG and Drycleaning solvent (Perchlorethylene...Perc). As you may already know, oil & water don't mix! ;)

Archived