CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

automatic parking brake release

unclefuzz

Until you get it fixed I believe there is a manual release, check your owner's manual. If the later models are the same as my 91, the brake releases by vacuum. Do you hear a vacuum leak under the dash near the emergency brake. Its possible that the vacuum hose came of the vacuum servo/motor or that the servo's (motor) diaphram is bad and you need to replace it. I needed to replace one on my 91. Mike

Until you get it fix, if you get into a situation where you have to use the Parking Brake there is a manual release for it. If you look behind the mount for the parking brake pedal, just to the left of the courtesy light there is a little metal tab with a steel cable running out of the top. When the pedal is depressed, you can pull down on the tab and it will release the brake. It's a pain in the *smurf* to do but if you have to, just makes sure not to get in the way of the pedal because it springs bak into place rather quickly. Hope this helps. ;)

I have the opposite problem. My parking brake pedal doesn't stay all the way down when I step on it. The first time, it stays about a third of the way down. The second time I step on it, it stays about two-thirds of the way down. After about the third time. it stays all the way down. It always releases fine, though.

I have never been in the habit of setting the brake except when I park on a hill, so it's not a huge problem for me. Still, I would like to have it working right.

Any ideas?

Thanks

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Poobah, you might want to check the tension of the brake cable and spring leading up to the pedal mechanism. If the cable is a little bit loose or the spring is worn out, that might cause the pedal not to stay all of the way down. Either that or the locking device that holds the pedal in place until you put it in gear could be failing to. Just an idea. I would check those and anything else that might look out of place or worn out on that whole assembly, before you do anything drastic. :)

At one point I had both problems, seemingly alternately. Finally, looking closely at the whole mechanism, I observed a thin, dry coating of rust. After a shot of WD40 it worked well for a while and then regressed. I then gave it a good dose of Breakfree CLP and let it drip off onto some rags. That was a couple of years ago and neither problem has returned.

FWIW

YMMV

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?: parking brake does not release like it is supposed when the car is put in R or D etc.

Have you checked the "PRK BRK" 20 amp fuse in the junction box under the rear seat cushion??

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

danbuc, DFBonnett - Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out when I get a chance.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Jim D, thanks for the suggestion on the fuse, will check, and 97 on the p-brake is electrical. I checked with a friend of mine whose son worked at GM fixing these cars and said the only way to truly correct the problem is to replace the entire unit. Unless I move to San Fran, not going to happen...heres hoping the fuse is the issue! thanks to everyone else for your suggestions. B)

Archived