CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 Cadillac STS Stability Service System warning:ABS/Traction Control

There is no logical way anyone here can help you with anything approaching technical accuracy until you tell us what codes are being displayed.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I agree. Did not record error codes. Is there a way to look at past error codes?

Not easily. Drive the car until the messages appear and then display codes again.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Should I feel anything when pressing brakes

Depends on the road surface conditions. You will feel and hear some pulsing in the brake system when the road surface is wet or snow/ice covered and the anti-lock brake system (ABS) engages.

....i.e. traction control engaging etc..?

Perhaps you are confused about the difference between ABS and traction control??

They are two different systems.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Just came back from mechanic. Could not find error codes. No wheel speed sensor repair needed. I was told that when the "Service Stability System"-ABS and Traction control light come on it's due to electrical problem. I am taking car in to electrical shop later in the week. In the meantime, every time I drive, I must turn off traction control to stop abs/traction control from engaging on it's own. Warning lights still come on. No more pulsating action. What may be the problem?

....Warning lights still come on. No more pulsating action. What may be the problem?

If you are getting messages and warnings, I don't care what your mechanic tells you, there will be codes. And we are still waiting for you to tell us what "C" codes you can display.

Only after we know the "C" codes can we hope to zero in on the problem. See post #2.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I flipped a coin and decided to use this set of codes.

Just rechecked codes:

ABS: c1223 and c1227

C1223 - Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal is 0

C1227 - Left Rear Excessive Wheel Speed Variation

Pointing directly at the LR wheel speed sensor (part of the hub). It could be a simple as a damaged or corroded or loose electrical connector between the hub and chassis wire harness. Or it could be a failed sensor.

IPM: b1341

This is a HVAC door movement code.

RSS: c1738

C1738 - Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to GND

This code is related to the rear suspension electronic level control system air compressor. Wire/connector damage is a possibility or a failed solenoid.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have no idea. No one puts a wrench on my car other than me.

You might think twice about hiring the "mechanic" who could not find error codes.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks. What cost estimates am I looking at?

Before taking it to "ANYBODY"...get under it and look at the wiring going to the left rear wheel sensor.

See if it is loose, corroded or maybe just not plugged in.

Maybe you just need to plug it back in...

Oh..and as JimD said... I would not take it to the guy that don't even know how to pull codes on it.

That indicates to me that he knows "NOTHING AT ALL" about Cadillacs.

Just my thoughts...

Posted Image

Thanks. I am a novice in this area. I wouldn't know the first place to look and check the rear wheel speed sensor.

Is there a "How to" information website?

I do not have a shop manual for your model car...

Hopefully someone who is familiar with your model will jump in and explain to you what to look for.

The manuals can be found on e-bay very reasonable.

The "HELM" manual is the one you want.

If you are going to do any maintenance yourself...the HELM manual is essential to have.

You can also buy them new at HELMINC.COM...but "I" would look for one on e-bay.. :)

You have a 13 year old luxury automobile that is going to need periodic maintenance.

Unless you want to pay 75 to 100 bucks an hour for a mechanic to work on it...I would advise getting a set of the manuals.

The first time you fix something yourself...it will more than pay for the manuals.

Posted Image

I have a 98 cadillac sts with abs light, traction control, and a message that says service stability......is there anyway to check these lights for codes? These lights are intermittent and when they are on the car pulls off in second gear. When they go the car pulls off in first properly. Can anybody help me?

I have a 98 cadillac sts with abs light, traction control, and a message that says service stability......is there anyway to check these lights for codes? These lights are intermittent and when they are on the car pulls off in second gear. When they go the car pulls off in first properly. Can anybody help me?

Here's how to display all DTC on you car;

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 1 year later...

Here's how to display all DTC on you car;

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Hi Jim, I had a 99 SLS with the same problem. It first started during the winter months. It would come on along with chimes until the car warmed and go off. During a road trip to S.C. I was riding throught the winding roads in W.V. I loved how the system soaked up the road and adjusted at a moment's noticed when I would change driving patterns. Well, I think that's what did, coming back from S.C. the lights came on and stayed for +2 years. This car was very sluggish coming off the line and made up for it on the highway. Another good thing was I gained more mileage. My c/c went out. It was a small sensor under the dash. They wanted to chrage me $800 to fix it. Otherwise, it was one of the best Cadillacs I've ever owned. I think it's a sensor that connect that needs replacing.

Archived