CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

hi im new to the caddyinfo forum... im wanting to put either a L37 or a LD8 into my 2000 monte carlo ls... i am willing to put the hours in to the removal, customization and installation to make this happen but as u can beleive i will need a lot of help with research to make this happen... im only 18 and finishing WYOTECH in september...

Are you swapping the entire drivetrain and PCM? I suppose anything is doable with enough time and money, but this sounds like an awfully big undertaking.

What you will need to address is that the Northstar will likely need its own PCM. This can be simplified if you go to a carburetor but a PCM is necessary in any case because there is no distributor so a PCM must use the crank and cam sensors to drive a spark module which in turn drives the coils. But, I would keep the stock fuel injection.

The bell housing pattern is identical to that used on Chevrolets except for one bolt hole which is an inch off, on the lower right, looking at the engine from the rear. The starter is in what would be the lifter valley in an OHV engine, which means that you will need to modify the top of the bell housing for clearance, or move the starter.

I have heard of transplants of Northstars that use longitudinal GM transmissions like the THM 350/400 and the 700R4 and the 4L60E. The stock Northstar will trash a stock THM 700R4 or 4L60E unless it is rebuilt with tougher clutches and bands, so be sure that the transmission is rated for the 300 hp or so that you are bringing to the table; rebuild it with stronger clutches and such and add a transmission cooler if necessary.

You might browse the Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators web site. They build a lot of off-road front-engine stuff with the 1993-1999 Northstars and a little with the 2000+ Northstars. They have carburetor manifolds, PCMs, and other engine parts from gaskets to complete dual-turbo or supercharged stuff. They will sell you a rebuilt THM 700R4 that you can use, for example. You may be able to identify individual vendors of the few parts you will need for a simple transplant of a stock engine (PCM and bell housing).

If you use a 4L60E (rebuilt!), 4L80E, or 4L85E or other electronic transmission like the 4T80E used in the Cadillacs, you will need a TCM, which does the transmission control part that is part of the Cadillac PCM; you can get one from TCI.

The simplest thing might be to get a THM 700R4, PCM and bell housing from CHRFAB and do the motor supports locally. CHRFAB has a forum linked to their web site and someone there may be able to tell you if you can use your old PCM and give you other advice. Keep us posted, preferably with photos.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I would just by an STS or ETC and save the work and headaches

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I started compiling a list of problems that he would run into and just wrote, buy and STS or ETC. Its way too much trouble.

If my MOM had balls she would be my DAD, why take a Monte Carlo and try to make it a Semi-Cadillac? The PCM would go nuts.

I forget are there ABS speed sensors in the rear hubs or just the front hubs?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

BodybyFisher is right. If you get an application-specific PCM for the transplanted Northstar, you may end up with a setup that is clean, if you include the catalytic converters and such, but it won't be emissions-legal in any state unless you get an exemption of some kind.

If what you want is 300 horsepower, the cheapest route by far is to simply get a 2000+ STS, or a DTS with teh 304 hp DI V6. That will be hassle-free and emissions legal. If you want a sleeper, I find that no one on the East Coast knows what an ETC is, and they probably don't know what an STS is, either. For deeper cover, you can re-badge it as a Deville and most people won't know the difference.

If what you want is a hot rod and you are looking at the lower engine weight and its horsepower potential, and you want it in the 2000 Monte Carlo body, then go ahead, but it won't be street legal. A really nice hot rod engine that is street legal is the 430 hp E-Rod, an LS3 crate engine and emissions kit that is 50-state certified street legal. The biggest engine available in the 2000 Malibu was the 3.8 liter V6 but the LS3 should fit just fine. Check out the Summit Racing page; they offer this engine and cat/sensor/PCM kit for $8310. You aren't going to get 430 hp for that price any other way, and you aren't going to get a street-legal hot rod any other way.

You can get more information from the GM Performance Parts web site:

If you really want a Northstar, check out the parts, engine assemblies, and adapters at CHRFAB.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

• 1 month later...

all of that kinda bums me out:/ but ill keep researching, thank u for the information and yes im aware of the headaches... i was going to do a pcm, trannsmission annd engine swap, i have alot of patients and im into very heavy modifications... i hope i can find a way to do this... once again thank u for the help!

I think that the cheapest, best engine swap is the LS3 E-Rod, and all you have to do is the paperwork that comes with the motor and install the sensors and cat to get a street legal motor.

If you want more than 430 hp, Summit Racing has a nice selection of crate engines. I like the 383 small block Chevrolet from GM Performance Parts; at 425 hp it's nice for the price and will defintely work in your Monte Carlo. If they offered a 350 in it you can use the springs and stabilizers from the parts bin for that motor.

More? Blueprint offers economical 495 cid big block. Or, you can get 454 cid, 502 cid, or 623 cid big blocks from GM Performance Parts. All of these have one or two year warranties for street use.

Northstar? Call chrfab and talk it over with them. They can give you a working Northstar, dyno tested, a fuel injection (or carb) for it, and a PCM.

Archived