CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Anyone ever drop a northstar

I have a 94 eldo touring coupe. The motor is good but i hit a deer and the cabin has saw better days. So i went and found a eldo same year and all but has bad motor. I want to take my nothstar and put it into eldo #2. I can wrench ok but any instruction or free serv manual would be awsome.

I suggest that you look on eBay for a factory service manual for the 1994 model year. I did a search on "Cadillac service manual 1994" and turned up several in the $20 price range.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You need to make sure the engine code from the donor car is the same as the receiver car. Both cars should either be the VIN Y (270 HP) or the VIN 9 (295 HP) for that year.

As long as the codes are the same, the engines will swap. Personally, I would lift the front of the body off the powertrain and transfer the entire powertrain (engine, trans, subframe)to the "new" body.

I've pulled just the engine out the top and there are a lot of fasteners that are in awkward angles that are a PITA to access. With the entire powertrain removed, those fasteners would not be a problem.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

:D

Thanks for the help i,m sure threw the swap i'll be here more.

Glad to help - don't hesitate to post questions.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived