CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rough Idle, Hesitation while accelerating, cruising

Rough idle and hesitation while accelerating started a week ago, has become much worse. Didn't show any codes yesterday, but switched out the fuel filter today and now I have two codes:

PCM P1645

PCM P0300

Just had the intake manifold, coil, water pump replaced several months ago. Mechanic said, at that time, that the head gasket was good (I know that can be a prob on Northstar engines).. Anyway, I need help!!! I'm not much of an electrical guy but am able to replace most parts.

PS - Also noticed that it's hard to get the engine to get up past 2000 rpm. Massive loss of power for this engine

How old are the plugs and wires? I had similar symptoms after the fuel rail recall on my '97. Old wires seem to break down after being jostled around as would have been done in replacing your intake. A new set of A/C Delco wires did it for me.

How old are the plugs and wires? I had similar symptoms after the fuel rail recall on my '97. Old wires seem to break down after being jostled around as would have been done in replacing your intake. A new set of A/C Delco wires did it for me.

I've only had this particular Cadillac for 7 months. How do I tell if they're bad - I'm guessing they become brittle.. also, what do i have to do to check out the condition of my spark plugs?

Not sure what all has been checked but I just had this issue a couple weeks ago and wasn't around a computer so I took it to a mechanic. Lack of power even when standing on the gas pedal. At first glance he thought it was a plugged CAT but then had his GM certified tech get into it and the found the Fuel pump was only pushing 20 PSI. Replaced that and fixed some wiring harness issues for the O2 Sensors and she runs like a raped ape now. Check your fuel pressure might just be the issue. :)

Sean M.

1997 Cadillac DeVille

P1645 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Control Circuit

You have some issues in the wiring harness. Some things are unplugged, loose, or some wires are getting damaged by the exhaust heat or some such.

The plug wires are very sensitive to being moved around, expecially after they get really old. Even new wires can cause problems if they are not routed pretty much exactly like the FSM says because the Northstar spark so strong enough to couple spark from one wire to another. Old wires can crack, resulting in arcs to ground; you might be able to hear this under the hood, and even see it at night if you remove the beauty cover.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived