CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2004 DTS Service Stability Sys

2004 DTS w/103K miles, recent plug change, on long road trip started coming up with "Service Stability Sys" while driving. No other symptoms. Can remove by touching Info button on right of DIC; but, will periodically re-appear. I re-set, then will come back later. I (accidentally) cleared all codes, ran errands (SSS came back once), and re-looked at codes, which were ABS C1287 HISTORY and IPC U1016 HISTORY, no current codes. What reason(s)/faults cause the SSS? A must fix; or, an annoyance? Can I take 7K trip w/o worry? I know IPC is loss of comm w/PCM - no problem. ABS = brakes; what does C1287 (HISTORY) really say? Front brakes were replace at 88k w/rotors turned, etc. Rears were fine.

C1287 is the classic code for a bad steering wheel sensor. It will almost always be in history status since once the computer senses an error with that sensor it turns off the Stability system and the sensor is no longer "in play"

Replace the sensor at the bottom of your steering column and all with be fine...

The sensor will cost around $80 but it does need the removal of the steering column to get to it. I would guess about $200 at the dealer.

It is safe to drive, but know that your stability system is off line.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Get your code definitions here and post them with the codes.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

OK, looked up the reference and confirmed that the ABS prefix is Antilock Brake System (that I knew). The code further breaks down as follows:

C = Chassis

1 = MFG (Manufacturer)

2 = Fuel & Air Metering (Injector)

87 = Fault (00 to 99)

So, where does that leave me? How does the ABS relate to the fuel/air injector? What do I have here to tell me what the problem is? More importantly - how do I determine what's triggering the 'Service Stabillity Sys" to trip on?

C1287 is the classic code for a bad steering wheel sensor. It will almost always be in history status since once the computer senses an error with that sensor it turns off the Stability system and the sensor is no longer "in play"

Replace the sensor at the bottom of your steering column and all with be fine...

The sensor will cost around $80 but it does need the removal of the steering column to get to it. I would guess about $200 at the dealer.

Thank you so much. That does help clear up the mystery meaning behind the code; and, gives sound advice on how to correct/fix it. Thanks again!

Thank you so much. That does help clear up the mystery meaning behind the code; and, gives sound advice on how to correct/fix it. Thanks again!

BTW, this also made me think about the sensor situation a little more. I understand that there are four of them place about 15 minutes apart from each other. Can't they just be reset with a magnetic tool (like you do with the TPMS); or, do they all just have to be replaced because they're mis-reading?

OK, looked up the reference and confirmed that the ABS prefix is Antilock Brake System (that I knew). The code further breaks down as follows:

C = Chassis

1 = MFG (Manufacturer)

87 = Fault (00 to 99)

So, where does that leave me? How does the ABS relate to the fuel/air injector? What do I have here to tell me what the problem is? More importantly - how do I determine what's triggering the 'Service Stabillity Sys" to trip on?

I don't know where you got all this, but you're doing it wrong. For future reference, got to the link provided. Your code was a "C" (Chassis) code. Scroll down to chassis codes and click on that. All the chassis codes will be displayed. Scroll down to C1287 and you find Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction.

C = Chassis

1 = MFG (Manufacturer)

87 = Fault (00 to 99)

I don't know where you got all this, but you're doing it wrong. For future reference, got to the link provided. Your code was a "C" (Chassis) code. Scroll down to chassis codes and click on that. All the chassis codes will be displayed. Scroll down to C1287 and you find Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction.

Thanks, it all came from the link referenced; though, I did miss the subsequent links. Now, do you know if this is something which can be reset, like with the TPMS, or do the sensors have to be replaced?

Thanks, it all came from the link referenced; though, I did miss the subsequent links. Now, do you know if this is something which can be reset, like with the TPMS, or do the sensors have to be replaced?

The steering sensor will have to be replaced.

There is no "RESET" for it.

Posted Image

I have no idea what you are talking about. There is ONE steering wheel sensor. It is at the bottom of the steering column, it is about the size of a small donut and it cost about $80.

Texas Jim is Correct.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

I have no idea what you are talking about. There is ONE steering wheel sensor. It is at the bottom of the steering column, it is about the size of a small donut and it cost about $80.

Texas Jim is Correct.

Thanks to all for the info. This may be a stretch; but, when the mechanic changed all eight plugs, is it possible he buggered the steering column sensors for the stability system? Or, is this just totally bad luck timing in showing up?

Archived