CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NEW PLUGS & WIRES - 05 ESCALADE

Howdy Fella's.........

I spoke to one of my professional auto mechanic friends (that I trust very much) a few weeks ago and he suggested that since I was serious about keeping my 2005 Escalade for the "long haul", I might want to change the spark plugs and ignition wires. I only have 70,000 miles on the vehicle and GM suggests that they can go to 100,000 miles, but his rational was to replace them BEFORE they cause a problem with burning out the coils. I ordered the AC Delco plugs & wires on line and received them in short order. Just a note: the plug numbers have changed. The owners manual calls for AC Delco plug # 41-985 but has been superseded by # 41-110. They are the same plug, they just got renumbered. When you order the ignition wire set (I ordered the AC Delco brand) make sure you get the correct one! What you have to do is unbolt the cowling that covers the top of the motor and pull a coil off to read the code numbers. For example, my year Escalade used two different type coils and they use different type wire sets. Cadillac installed either Delco or Melco coils and the only way to know which wire set to use is to get the code numbers off the coils.

After you get the proper parts, get yourself a spark plug wire puller tool (usually under $10.00). I did not have one on hand so I had to made do with a pair of Channel Lock pliers. They did work, but probably not as well as the designated tool would have. I was not too concerned about tearing the rubber since I was replacing the wires anyway. PULL ON THE RUBBER BOOT OVER THE WIRE, NOT THE METAL HEAT SHIELD. YOU WILL NEED TO REUSE THE HEAT SHIELD SO YOU DO NOT WANT TO BEND THEM! The first 7 plug wires and plugs came out fairly easily although I had to remove the red colored battery junction box blocking the front drivers side plug. The eighth one which is located on the rear of the passenger's side was another story! Taking it out was a pain, but getting it back in was a 45 minute ordeal. After a lot of cursing and a few torn up knuckles, FINALLY the sucker went in. SUGGESTION: On this plug you can use a jointed spark plug socket, but use a few pieces of electrical tape to keep the socket from drooping and changing positions while you are trying to get the plug in. You have to do most of this by feel, as you can't really see the plug hole that is behind he fire wall.

A FEW MORE HINTS: Use dielectric grease on the inside of the boots that cover the ceramic part of the plugs. It will keep moisture out and will make the boot slide on and off the plug easier. Use anti-seize on the plug threads which will make it easier to get them out the next time you change the plugs. Take care in not getting the anti-seize on the plug tips! Oh. by the way, CHECK THE GAP!! The plugs are supposed to be pre-gapped, but some of them were a few thousandths off so I corrected them. While I had the cowling off the top of the motor, I cleaned it up and got 70,000 miles worth of dust & grime off. If nothing else, the motor looks impressive.

Well, I guess I am set for another 5 years or so, glad I did it. I don't know if it's my imagination or wishful thinking, but the vehicle seems to have a bit more "ZIP" than it had before doing this. By the way, "read" your old plugs. They should have a grayish beige color to them and they should NOT have any black oil fowling on them. If they have oil on them, you might have an issue with oil bypassing the rings. All of mine were fine, so that was another worry off my mind.

Hope this helps!

Regards.....

Twocoltbob

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I am a new owner of a 2005 escalade esv platinum and also new to this site and I just wanted to say thank you for the information.

The previous owner kept very detailed service records from the caddy dealer, however I am a DIY guy with all my vehicles.

There seems to be a lot of useful info on this site, for that I am greatful.

Thanks, ESV

• 6 months later...

Nice write up on changing the plugs. I would like to add a little trick I learned. When putting the plugs back in, especially hard to get to, you can use a piece of tubing that fits snuggly over the tip of the plug. Spinning the tube to screw the plug in will help you to not cross thread the plug in the hole. Never happened to me personally but I have heard of it happening to others. Then once you got the plug started you can come back with socket and tighten.

Thanks to everyone helping out others,

Nice writeup on the plug R&R.

The AC Delco wires are impregnated with a silicone and do not require a subsequent treatment of dielectric grease. Sometimes, that can cause carbon tracking. Anti-sieze is not recommended on the plug threads since it will allow the plug to be torqued tighter than the factory spec. vs. not using anti-sieze. The plugs have a very good plating treatment on the threads to prevent siezing in the heads.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived