CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fleetwood traction control

Has anyone heard of a way to disconnect the traction control on a 93-96 fleetwood? There is a push button in a crevice inside the glove box but is annoying to shut off everytime you start the car. The only thing Ive heard is that the traction control and ABS are tied together somehow, same fuse or same computer or something..

For those that dont know, it is a very primitive traction control. In my 2000 DTS you could push the gas as far as you wanted on ice but the engine would only rev so high till it got traction. On these fleetwoods if the tire slips it literally pushes the gas pedal back at you so you lose power completely and slow way down. Sure, kind of annoying in the winter, well its also so primitive that everytime you hit a pothole or your tires hit a little gravel on the road it kicks in and you lose power. Like say you want to turn onto a road and see a car coming so you need to hurry up and get out onto that road, but you give it a little gas and theres some gravel and the wheel spins a little bit and now you pulled out onto the road and you cant go for a second or 2. ANNOYING!

Does anyone know how the system works? Is it a sensor on the rear axle or in the transmission? Is there a computer for it? I gotta get rid of it. Guess I could try to unplug the switch but it will probably default to traction control ON...

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

The traction control and ABS are integrated. The traction control uses the ABS sensors at each wheel to monitor wheel slip. I doubt there is a quick/easy method to disable the traction control system. If your tires are worn, the traction control will kick in more often.

RWD and FWD traction control systems are calibrated differently - they need to be. A FWD car will tolerate more wheel spin over a RWD car. On slippery roads, a RWD car won't tolerate much wheel spin before the car wants to spin around 180 degrees. That's why the traction control is calibrated to be more sensitive.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Im just curious more how it works. If theres a solenoid that is pushing the gas pedal back at me maybe Ill disconnect that thing and it wont work anymore. Because if thats the only thing that keep you from continuing to go then it will have no affect on my driving anymore.

If nothing else is possible ill relocate the switch onto the dash with a bright lighted button that turns off when i turn the traction off so it reminds me.

The PCM reduces the fuel first and if that does not stop the wheel spin, the solenoid prevents the pedal from being depressed, if that combination doesn't stop the drive wheel from spinning, the ABS will activate on the wheel that is spinning.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I know on OBD1 Cadillacs you can disable the traction control by using the on board computer. Yours being a 1996 is OBD2 equipped, so I'm not sure if you can do it with yours. It's worth looking into though. I'll see if I can find anything about it.

big4870885.jpg

Yes its supposedly OBDII but on the onboard diagnostics it still shows the previous 01-12 type codes. Kind of a transition year I guess.

I should bring up the tach on my onboard diagnostic display and see if the traction REALLY affects the RPM also. To me all it does is shove the gas pedal back at ya. And really thats all it would take to slow you down, no need to shut off injectors too. I know the newer cars do the injector thing. If I take out the thing that pushes the gas pedal, then, Ill really be able to see if the engine is affected at all.

Archived