CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2005 sts-acceleration issues

Has anyone heard of the 2005 sts cadillacs having any issues with unexpected acceleration?

When I went to brake when I was driving up to my garage felt the car accelerate. I may have pushed on the accelerator instead of the brake-but I don't believe I did. It happened so fast that all I know is that I went to hit the brakes and I felt the car accelerate. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

....I may have pushed on the accelerator instead of the brake-but I don't believe I did.

Here comes the "me too" group.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Check your mat placement, but we have never had anyone complain of that here

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

On my 1998 and 2002 Eldorado, when turning on the turn signals by flipping the lever, I've gotten a finger into the cruise-control button by mistake a few times, and it's accelerated, but, putting on the brake always cancels it. At first I thought I had a problem, until I analyzed my last moves prior to the acceleration.

It happens to my car, but that's due to a high idle problem. NOT the accelerator.

Cruise control is electronic, and like anything electrical it can fail. My suggestion would be to see if it happens again (while being prepared for it if it does, of course...we don't want any accidents here). It's possible that you may have simply hit the wrong pedal. I'll be the first to admit that I've done it before...blink.gif

big4870885.jpg

Has anyone heard of the 2005 sts cadillacs having any issues with unexpected acceleration?

When I went to brake when I was driving up to my garage felt the car accelerate. I may have pushed on the accelerator instead of the brake-but I don't believe I did. It happened so fast that all I know is that I went to hit the brakes and I felt the car accelerate. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

First I will say that I am glad you controlled it and that you are ok.

I my 4 years on this forum, I have never heard of a Cadillac with unintended acceleration.

There are a few "IF's" here...but...

"IF" you had on shoes with wide soles... the right part of the sole may have nudged the accelerator.

"IF" you only had your foot on the right side of the brake pedal... you may have nudged the accelerator.

"IF" you had a combination of the above... I think it would have been fairly easy to nudge the accelerator.

Keep a watch on it and be careful.

Posted Image

A few years back, I had a "sticking" throttle problem with my '97 Eldo. Turned out that the throttle cable had been rubbing against something, wore through, and the cable rusted. A couple times before I replaced it, I would have to pull the throttle "back up" with the toe of my shoe. But it never became 'dangerous', or started accelerating on its own.

I think I paid about $10 for a new cable, took about 15 minutes to install it, and it felt like new again. Not only was the throttle sticking open a little, but it wasn't letting me full-throttle either. A new cable made a world of difference!

I was just checking the oil on my Caddy and saw a zip tie on my return throttle cable and it reminded me of this post. My Caddy one day was revving high when I was coming to a stop light, the brakes didn't stop as normal and I looked at the tach I was at 2000 rpm's. I put it in nuetral and it went to 3000 rpm's. When I got home I was checking what the problem was and found the clip that holds the return cable no longer was doing it's job, it allowed the cable to come out of it's place and not allow the throtttle to return to closed. I zip tied it in place and have not had a problem since.

I have had a "sticky" throttle a couple of times, it turned out to be the floor mat. After cleaning and replacing them, I did not notice one corner had flopped over the accelerator pedal. Black mats with all black interior.

Drove it for a couple of hours before finally realizing what I had done. I am now more careful when placing the mats back in the car.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived