CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Case Study: XLR HUD

Historic case study from DuPont, but I like the details given:

Case Study

Butacite_175x100.gif

Case Study: Cadillac XLR has new-generation Head-Up Display (HUD)

General Motors' 2004 Cadillac XLR will offer the option of head-up-display (HUD) from Nippon Seiki thanks to a special laminated windshield incorporating Butacite® Wedged PVB interlayer.

Application Description

General Motors announced in February that its 2004 Cadillac XLR, "a luxury roadster with performance car roots" according to the company, will offer the option of head-up-display (HUD) from Nippon Seiki thanks to a special laminated windshield incorporating The WedgeTM Butacite® PVB interlayer from DuPont.

GM’s chief engineer for the XLR, David Leone, said: "HUD is an excellent feature for performance-oriented driving and is in keeping with GM’s philosophy to maximize the ability of drivers to keep their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel."

Nippon Seiki confirmed that innovations on the Cadillac XLR HUD include its reconfigurable liquid crystal display (LCD), which is easier to read than previous HUDs. The instructions can be configured in several colours and settings, and in six languages – English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Italian and Japanese.

In addition to speedometer and turn signal indicators, the new-generation HUD shows audio system data, gear indication and adaptive cruise control (ACC) settings. The XLR is among the first vehicles to be offered with adaptive cruise control. Production of the 2004 model Cadillac XLR commenced in spring 2003. The windshield laminator is AP Technoglass of Kentucky (USA).

Materials Selected and Why

DuPont™ Butacite® wedged PVB interlayer was chosen because it provides the best cost-performance choice for today’s automotive manufacturers for HUD technology.

Benefits Gained

* Improved cost-performance factor promoting mass commercialization

* Eliminates windshield image “ghosting”

* Expanded display range for alphanumeric driver information

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

configured in several colours and settings, and in six languages – English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Italian and Japanese.

Hi Bruce

Thanks for the information.

@configured in several colours

Sounds good to me, but I didn't know it. I have to check it out.

@and in six languages

I am shure "60" is "60" in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Italian exept in Japanese and not really important.

Also a CAR sign is a CAR sign. There is not a lot more to read with the HUD.

Tom

Archived