CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Pressure Regulator Problem

PAUL T

I made the mistake of removing my FPR to check it out on my 97 Deville and now I can not get it to stop leaking at first start in the morning. I have reseated it three times and it still on first startup in the morning spews gas everywhere around where the FPR seats in its bracket, until the pressure builds up and seals it. I even went to my manual to see what I was doing wrong but I am reseating it just like the book. I install the small O-ring first, then the screen, then the large rubber O-ring, then the plastic O-ring, then install the FPR twisting it so it will seat good, then putting on the retainer clip, and finally putting on the vacuum hose. I go to start it and it spews again. It will go all day and no problem but if it sits long enough for the pressure to bleed off it will spew again. I have checked the o-rings but they look fine. The only thing I noticed was that the plastic screen is warped a little. Just short of buying a new one, I am seriously considering some sealant around the flange. I also considered bending the retainer clip to put more pressure on the seal. It all started after I noticed it cranking a little more than usual in the mornings before it would start. Has anyone else had this problem?

....I have checked the o-rings but they look fine. The only thing I noticed was that the plastic screen is warped a little. Just short of buying a new one, I am seriously considering some sealant around the flange. I also considered bending the retainer clip to put more pressure on the seal....?

You are risking an out-of-control thermal event (FIRE).

Replace the O rings and the screen. Even if that means buying the entire fuel pressure regulator just to get the parts.

The pay back will come in the form of future insurance premiums.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

O.K. I decided not to install it as the manual said and looked at the pictures on Rockauto to decide how the FPR was put together. The pictures showed the FRP with all the O-rings attached to it. So this turned a few light bulbs in my head on and I decided to install it in one piece rather than as the manual says, one piece at a time. After the install I tested it and no gas spewed. So I am going to try it again in the morning and if no gas is spewing then I will consider it fixed, but keep my insurance paid up as a backup. :D My guess is that when I installed it one piece at a time the large O-ring(blue) was not fitting on the FPR and it was not sealing.

post-26-126921874849_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

I made the mistake of removing my FPR to check it out on my 97 Deville and now I can not get it to stop leaking at first start in the morning. I have reseated it three times and it still on first startup in the morning spews gas everywhere around where the FPR seats in its bracket, until the pressure builds up and seals it. I even went to my manual to see what I was doing wrong but I am reseating it just like the book. I install the small O-ring first, then the screen, then the large rubber O-ring, then the plastic O-ring, then install the FPR twisting it so it will seat good, then putting on the retainer clip, and finally putting on the vacuum hose. I go to start it and it spews again. It will go all day and no problem but if it sits long enough for the pressure to bleed off it will spew again. I have checked the o-rings but they look fine. The only thing I noticed was that the plastic screen is warped a little. Just short of buying a new one, I am seriously considering some sealant around the flange. I also considered bending the retainer clip to put more pressure on the seal. It all started after I noticed it cranking a little more than usual in the mornings before it would start. Has anyone else had this problem?

....I have checked the o-rings but they look fine. The only thing I noticed was that the plastic screen is warped a little. Just short of buying a new one, I am seriously considering some sealant around the flange. I also considered bending the retainer clip to put more pressure on the seal....?

You are risking an out-of-control thermal event (FIRE).

Replace the O rings and the screen. Even if that means buying the entire fuel pressure regulator just to get the parts.

The pay back will come in the form of future insurance premiums.

I had same thing butmy friend took it off and didn't tell me what it was for so I tried to crank it one more time after listen to the raido for 30 min ......yep u guessed it BOOM!!!!! but it ant hurt got lucky .but still wont crank..

Modifications to the fuel system are a definate no go. sealant and gas do not go together well.

Glad you got it fixed

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived