CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service Stability System codes ABS 1287 1288

basod2002

Searched through the forum and found only 2 issues on this with little resolution. The "Service Stability System" came across the display about 2 months ago, right around when I hit a bump. It cleared and then started back a week ago, seems to be setting during every initial drive cycle. I'm wondering where the steering position sensor is located, and is it accessible? I haven't had the intermediate shaft regreased since ~45K and she just rolled 93K, and has needed regreased/replaced for some time. If its a big pain to get to the sensor I'll put it in the shop and have both jobs done at same time, I can't figure out how to get the intermediate shaft out? Any tips or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Perform a search on 1287, and you will come up with 2 entries in the archives. Read both entries.

Since you just had your brake worked on there is a possibility that the brake pad wear sensor weren't re-installed properly or it's the steering sensor.

Below is the response from KHE...

The steering position sensor is at the base of the steering column according to the shop manual. That should be at or near the firewall but I didn't have enough time to verify that. If the steering sensor is bad, that is why you're getting the service stability system message.

The brake pad sensor message is either one of two three things: 1) someone knocked the plug loose when they were R&Ring the rotors. 2) the pads are worn out. 3) The pads were replaced and new sensors were not used.

I did search and thats why I posted this question. I assume the steering sensor has to be installed in a specific orientaion as its a feedback device - if its installed slightly out than the feedback to actual will be incorrect if that makes sense? I located it and think it is just a dirty connector. i pulled and sprayed with some contact cleaner as there isn't any way to reach in and clean physically. Will report back if the condition persists.

....I assume the steering sensor has to be installed in a specific orientaion....

Correct.

But there is no way you (or an assembly line worker) could install the steering wheel position sensor in any position other than the 'designed' specific orientation.

Assembly line component design engineering is your friend.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

...I assume the steering sensor has to be installed in a specific orientaion as its a feedback device....

This post will not help you solve your immediate issue. BUT.

The "feedback device" part of your statement is misleading. The steering wheel position sensor is an "input device" in the world of closed loop servo systems.

In the case of GM/Cadillac stability control systems for your year/model, the "feedback device(s)" are lateral and longditudinal accelerometer signals.

This probably falls in the realm of "picky, picky information". :)

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for setting me straight. I work on large industrial gas turbines(my day job anyways). In the hydraulic positioning circuits I work on theres servo coil current that functions as a diagnostic (triple redundant coil servos), and a DC null bias adjustment for coil inconsistencies/degradation. The cicuit is closed loop using dual LVDT's for actuator position feedback. I guess with my background I was thinking the position sensor was feedback to the CPU for actuator output calculations. I guess my curiosty on the sensor being an accelerometer its pretty much plug and play, I was thinking it was a gear or cam driven sensor which is why i asked about more steering position in relation to the sensor during replacement. The only accelerometer sensors I typically work with are siesmic vibration probes on turbine bearings, calibrating loop feedback circuits with a Gilchrist shaker table.

Archived