CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'93 Eldo ETC Intermittent Engine

F16Vet

I have an '93 Eldo ETC that has been giving me intermittent running problems and Codes P073, Intermittent Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Signal; P095, Engine Stall Detected; and finally, a P036, EGR Valve Pintle Out Of Range. The P036 and P073 came back after allowing the car to cool and the codes cleared then driven for a week. It also gives an (apparently) bogus Engine Hot and Stop Engine Now warnings. I say bogus because the car does not actually seem hot and the Inst Panel Display appears normal. I suspect the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor is the culprit but have replaced the Thermostat just to be sure. SO, my actual question is: How in the WORLD do I get TO the ECT Sensor to CHANGE it? I have shop manuals but haven't found out what needs to come off to get at it. Thanks, F16Vet

Explain "intermittant running problems"

Check the connection at the coolant temp sensor's connection and consider replacing it.

Here is the location, its not bad to get at with the proper tools

ETClocation.gif

The P036 EGR code probably means that you need to clean and free up the pindle, they need cleanings once in awhile, if it has an electrical component as part of it don't submerge it, use GM carb/upper intake cleaner and small brushes, try to clean the pindle seat. Tap it with a hammer. Clean till the pindle is free. DO NOT BREATH the EGR DUST its TOXIC

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

By intermittent I mean rough idle, surging, sometimes stalling at stoplights, etc. It will run fine for days then all of a sudden start these actions after the car has been running for maybe 5 minutes or so. If I open the coolant cap and allow the pressure to release, it usually fixes (temporarily anyway) the problem. From what I've been able to gather, a bad Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor can send bad info to the PCM and cause such issues so I plan on replacing it. I know where the sensor is, but can barely see it, so what all needs to be removed to get at it?

Thanks for the reply,

F16Vet

Your rough idle, surging, and stalling is most likely due to the EGR valve. Mine is on my to-do list as well so I have researched it pretty thoroughly. According to your info you have 246k miles on your car, and if the EGR system has never been cleaned now would be a good time to do it. It is recommended (from what I have been told) that it should be cleaned every 100k miles or so.

The EGR valve itself has three 10mm bolts holding it on, with a lead gasket underneath it. You may want to buy a new gasket in case the existing one breaks during removal. It is located on the top-rear of the driver side, and is a bit smaller than a soda can. These images are from a 1995, but yours should look pretty much the same.

This shows the location and what it looks like:

EGR2.jpg

This is what the bottom of it looks like. In this, the gasket is attached to it. The blackened screw-looking part is the pindle, which is what normally needs cleaning to get it moving freely again.

EGR1.jpg

There are also the EGR passages and mouseholes under the manifold that should be cleaned too. If I can find the info on that I will post it here.

big4870885.jpg

Besides cleaning your EGR valve you may want to decarbon the engine.

The 93/94 4.6L engines have phanolic spacers between the intake manifold and the heads. They should be cleaned every 100k miles. This is also referred to as de-carboning the engine. Remove the 4 bolts in the top cover and raise up the intake manifold on the passinger side just enough to insert a 2X4 to hold it up out of the way. The spacers lift out easily.

Plug the intake ports in the head with rags while doing the scraping and then vaccuum thoroughly. Then do the same thing on the other head. Becareful not to raise up the manifold any more than necessary, you don't want to bend the fuel lines. Be sure to scrap out the mouse holes in the heads, the little "V" notch.

This cleaning should improve your gas mileage by 10%.

Archived