CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Chrome Rims on '98 Deville

After repeated attempts to get my chrome rims clean at a local commercial car wash who advertises a process called "Wheel Bright", brake dust is there. Any suggestions as to what I can do. Perhaps someone knows of a good commercial product I can use at home, or maybe a good "home remedy" solvent. Help!

After repeated attempts to get my chrome rims clean at a local commercial car wash who advertises a process called "Wheel Bright", brake dust is there. Any suggestions as to what I can do. Perhaps someone knows of a good commercial product I can use at home, or maybe a good "home remedy" solvent. Help!

Only suggestion I have is NOT to use anything on the painted part of the wheels that you would not use on the paint of the car.

NEVER use any kind of rubbing metal polish, as it will polich the chrome off the wheels and instead of chrome wheels, you will have nickel wheels (that do not complement the car as much as shinny mirror chrome). ALSO, don't use any kind of abrasive pad in the "spokes" either. If the paint is removed, you will start to get pitting over time in there.

I have used a very small amount of goo-gone on a white towel and after cleaning a single "spoke" section, observed it took the accumulation of brake dust & grime off the wheel without removing the paint. (be careful you don't see any grey paint on the towel)

after you are satisfied with your results on the entire wheel, apply a coat of wax, and a more periodic cleaning will be necessary so you can just use a soapy solution to keep your wheels sparkling.

Only suggestion I have is NOT to use anything on the painted part of the wheels that you would not use on the paint of the car.

NEVER use any kind of rubbing metal polish, as it will polich the chrome off the wheels and instead of chrome wheels, you will have nickel wheels (that do not complement the car as much as shinny mirror chrome). ALSO, don't use any kind of abrasive pad in the "spokes" either. If the paint is removed, you will start to get pitting over time in there.

I have used a very small amount of goo-gone on a white towel and after cleaning a single "spoke" section, observed it took the accumulation of brake dust & grime off the wheel without removing the paint. (be careful you don't see any grey paint on the towel)

after you are satisfied with your results on the entire wheel, apply a coat of wax, and a more periodic cleaning will be necessary so you can just use a soapy solution to keep your wheels sparkling.

Thanks for the tip. it so happens I have some Goo-Gone in my garage that I purchased for another purpose, will give it a try and let you know the results

My car wash uses Wheel Brite also, my wheels are clean when I get it, but not perfect, there is lots of black brake dust on them. In order to get them clean I need to use a detail brush and lots of elbow grease

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived