CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stuck emergency Brake !!

JLAWS

I have that problem on my '93, but there is a manual emrgency release lever near the park brake. I bought a replacement front parking brake cable but I haven't put it on yet because I simply stopped using the parking brake.

When in "Drive", will the pedal come up if you put your foot under it and exert upward pressure? I had the same problem. The mechanism under the dash was a bit rusty. Sprayed it down with aerosol Breakfree CLP and that was the cure.

FWIW

YMMV

Have you tried the (pardon the expression) manual release?

:lol:, I haven't tried that yet. I guess it's somewhere on the e-brake lever ? I'll play with it and see what happens. Hopefully it'll release the tension.

If the brake pedal (as opposed to the brakes themselves) is not releasing, then you are loosing vacuum to the release mechanism. if you look at the parking brake assembly you will see the vacuum servo as shown in Mike's diagram. Attatched to it is a small lever to manually release it in the event of a malfunction. Use caution as to where you put you're head & hands when you pull the lever lest you get a quick lesson in brake pedal spring pressure.

There is a diaphram in that vacuum servo motor that goes bad. One way to check it would be to pull the vacuum hose of the servo and connect a length of hose to it. Either used a hand held vacuum pump or suck it.. (LOL, sorry).. if your diaphram it defective you will not be able to build up pressure and the brake will not release. If the hand held or sucking method releases the brake, your problem is elsewhere. Do you hear any air noise from the vicinity of the parking brake? Mike

Glad to hear the problem is solved. It sounds like either the vacuum servo has a leaky diaphram or there is no vacuum supplied to the servo. Should be an easy fix either way.

Just a little FYI--on the 98+ Sevilles and the 00+ Devilles, the emergency brake release is no longer operated by vacuum but it is an electric release AND, much to my dismay, the 04+ Caddy's no longer have any type of automatic release. Apparently for safety reasons.

Max

I don't see how the brake release could be a safety issue. Do you? I think Cadillac is just getting rid of one more thing that makes our cars Cadillacs, ie trunk pull down, brake light monitor above the rear glass, and the headlight monitors on the front fenders.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

Archived