CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blog Post: The Cadillac of CO2 offsets?

After Matt Daimon mentioned CO2 offsets during his cameo appearance for OneXOne on Entourage (great job btw), I got to thinking about this topic.  The idea of carbon offsets is that if your normal lifestyle, such as driving a Cadillac, causes CO2 emissions, then you would do things like plant ...

View the full article

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

After Matt Daimon mentioned CO2 offsets during his cameo appearance for OneXOne on Entourage (great job btw), I got to thinking about this topic. The idea of carbon offsets is that if your normal lifestyle, such as driving a Cadillac, causes CO2 emissions, then you would do things like plant ...

View the full article

It is probably just me being a ol' uneducated redneck...but I have trouble seeing how you can be held responsible for emitting over 19,000 pounds of CO2 when the TOTAL WEIGHT of your fuel per year is only about 4,000 pounds or 2 tons.

I am responsible for even MORE than you because I burn more fuel.

70,000 miles in less than 3 years in the Cadillac and another 75,000 miles in less than 3 years in my Chevy van.

On your car...That is over 4 TIMES the TOTAL WEIGHT (almost 5 times) of all the fuel you burned.

I realize that there are other factors that add to the total, but even if your total fuel weight was converted to CO2, (which it isn't)... that is a great big number to blame on the individual consumer.

Surely they don't "FUDGE" the numbers for their agendas.

They wouldn't do that...or would they? :D

I am sorta curious how they come up with that number.

Looks like I need to go buy about 100 acres and plant a bunch of trees to offset my footprint. :D

Posted Image

One of the things that the EPA shows on your window sticker calculation is the "CO2" figure. Go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/findacar.htm then choose your year, maker, model, etc.

As noted:

The carbon footprint measures greenhouse gas emissions expressed in CO2 equivalents. The estimates presented here are “full fuel-cycle estimates” and include the three major greenhouse gases emitted by motor vehicles: carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane. Full fuel-cycle estimates consider all steps in the use of a fuel, from production and refining to distribution and final use. Vehicle manufacture is excluded. (U.S. Department of Energy, GREET Model 1.7, Argonne National Laboratory).

So it includes everything from well head to refinery to car exhaust for the fuel somehow.

I agree that I would like a bit more info on the somehow part.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived