CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1994 Concours PCM replacement?

Hello, I just recently purchased a 1994 Cadillac Concours for an excellent price. The outside is excellent, and the inside is flawless. I drove it for a half an hour putting it through the test before I decided to purchase it. Nothing appeared to be wrong at all. It had a shake in the front and replacing the two front tires fixed that problem. Car seems perfect and an exceptional steal for the price of $1700. Had the car for nearly a week. I pull up to an intersection, come to a stop, and three seconds later it stalls. It started right back up and drove home fine. The stalling problem is happening more and more frequently lately and usually happens after it has warmed up. After a week of stalling I decided to take it into a reputable dealership to have the problem diagnosed. I was given a list of codes that were stored

P032, P041, P052, P056, P071, P095, P109, I032

They recommended that I have the whole PCM unit replaced. I've done my research but cannot seem to come to any conclusions as to if replacing the PCM is my only option, or if it is even possible for me to replace that on my own. I was thinking at first I should probably just take it in to get it done, but at a price of nearly $500 to do the PCM I would rather take my chances on installing it myself. Does it sound right that my problem is caused by a faulty PCM unit? Is it simple enough to replace that on my own, and what is involved in replacing the unit? I got a quote at a local auto parts store for $250 + $80 core charge... Sorry for writing a book here, but I am a little lost as what to do and I would hate to drop that much money into it if the PCM is not the solution. Thanks for your time, I look forward to an answer.

P032..... Open MAP Sensor Signal

P041..... No cam reference signal from Ignition Control Module.

P052..... PCM Memory Reset

P056..... Transmission Input Speed Sensor

P071..... Intermittent MAP Signal

P095..... Engine Stall Detected

P109..... Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Reset/PCM has lost primary battery power

I032.......Loss of ABS/TCS Data

At this point I see no reason at all, to replace the PCM.

The P052 and P109 are probably related. The battery has probably been disconnected.

I think that you have a couple of fairly minor things that need to be fixed, and you will be OK.

It would be a good idea to CLEAR ALL THE CODES and then see what comes back.

Click on the "HOW TO" at the top of the page.

Posted Image

Thank you! I will try resetting the codes and see what comes back later on after driving it for a while. I'll post my results when I get back home.

Okay, I just drove the car for over an hour and it refused to stall. I assume that is a good thing, but since all I have done was clear out the codes, I doubt any problem was fixed. I rechecked the codes after clearing them out last night. The codes I am seeing are:

P041H, P056C, I032H

I am still not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Okay, I just drove the car for over an hour and it refused to stall. I assume that is a good thing, but since all I have done was clear out the codes, I doubt any problem was fixed. I rechecked the codes after clearing them out last night. The codes I am seeing are:

P041H, P056C, I032H

Looks like this one is intermittent...since it is now HISTORY.

This one will definitely cause it to stall if it happens as you stop.

I am not real sure where it gets it signals from...the ignition module or the distributor..or both.

Someone with more knowledge of your system will chime in.

These two are most likely related....Fix the P056 and they will both go away.

What I think it means is...the Transmission Input Speed Sensor is not working right, or maybe not at all, and therefore the ABS and the Traction Control systems do not know what they are supposed to do.

Posted Image

P041H, P056C, I032H

Looks like this one is intermittent...since it is now HISTORY.

This one will definitely cause it to stall if it happens as you stop.

I am not real sure where it gets it signals from...the ignition module or the distributor..or both.

Someone with more knowledge of your system will chime in.

These two are most likely related....Fix the P056 and they will both go away.

What I think it means is...the Transmission Input Speed Sensor is not working right, or maybe not at all, and therefore the ABS and the Traction Control systems do not know what they are supposed to do.

So to take care of the P041 code should I be looking into replacing the ignition control module, distributor or something else? Thank you for your help Texas Jim and Ranger. It is much appreciated.

So to take care of the P041 code should I be looking into replacing the ignition control module, distributor or something else? Thank you for your help Texas Jim and Ranger. It is much appreciated.

Before replacing ANYTHING...carefully check all wiring and connectors to both the ignition control module and to the distributor.

It could be as simple as a bad or corroded wire or maybe a connection.

I am not familiar with the EXACT module on your model car, but just double check..carefully ... all wiring and connections to both the ignition control module and to the distributor,and report back what you find.

I will help all I can, but there are several other guys here that know your system better than I do, that can help you/us, find the problem.

Posted Image

Archived