CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi All,

I am new to the site and a new Cadillac owner. I just bought a 92 STS with 140,000 on it. The car came from NY and the exhaust is all rusty and needs replacing. other than that the car is in immaculate shape. Does anyone have any suggestion on some aftermarket exhaust. I have heard that the Camaro muffler will work on the STS. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also I have noticed that the air compressor for the air ride does not turn on to auto level the car. Any help with the troubleshooting of that issue would be helpful. The car rides ok but I and others think it could be better, a little wavy upfront sometimes but the back is solid. Would you suggest an aftermarket passive system like the one from Strutmasters? Thanks again in advance.

Rick

Sorry posted in the wrong forum wanted to post in General Help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello friends.Nice to meet you all.I just bought a 92 STS with 140,000 on it. The car came from NY and the exhaust is all rusty and needs replacing. other than that the car is in immaculate shape. Does anyone have any suggestion on some aftermarket exhaust?Please help me!!!!

medical tourism

d-bol

• 3 months later...
Hi All,

I am new to the site and a new Cadillac owner. I just bought a 92 STS with 140,000 on it. The car came from NY and the exhaust is all rusty and needs replacing. other than that the car is in immaculate shape. Does anyone have any suggestion on some aftermarket exhaust. I have heard that the Camaro muffler will work on the STS. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also I have noticed that the air compressor for the air ride does not turn on to auto level the car. Any help with the troubleshooting of that issue would be helpful. The car rides ok but I and others think it could be better, a little wavy upfront sometimes but the back is solid. Would you suggest an aftermarket passive system like the one from Strutmasters? Thanks again in advance.

Rick

Sorry posted in the wrong forum wanted to post in General Help.

best thing i can think of is to take it to a exhuast shop. have them put on new pipe and mufflers. just make sure they use galvanized pipe or stainless if you want it to stay shiny. for mufflers if you dont want the car louder then have them order OEM mufflers. but a set of delta flow 50 series flowmasters would prob sound sweet. you can look up mufflers for caddys on you tube to get an idea of there sound.here is a link to a 97 seville with above mufflers.

The car comes with a stainless steel exhaust system that should last the life of the car. The pipes may not be as bad as they look on the outside. If you do need to replace them, do use stainless steel if you plan to drive your car in snow and keep your car two years or longer -- you will find that you will be saving money.

The stock mufflers were out of production in September of 2006 when I needed both (I was rear-ended). I got Borla general replacements, which come in stainless steel and lots of guys here swear by them. Flowmaster didn't make stainless steel mufflers for our cars in 2006 but they do now, and there are other good brands that let you have a choice of sound.

Any good muffler shop will have anything else you need -- pipes, Y-pipes -- in stainless steel and can bend to fit where necessary (behind the rear Y-pipe). Re-use your existing tips if they are factory. Tips that look good on an STS are hard to find and the factory ones are chromed stainless steel and will clean up just fine. Mine are 1994 STS tips from a salvage yard. Make sure that the muffler shop that you use does a lot of stainless steel so that their welder has stainless steel rods.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If u have access to a garage and a gas welder its not too big a job to do on your own! Me and my father replaced the old 3" steel system on my STS 1995 and built a new 2" stainless steel system from the cat to the endpipes!

If you visit the link below, you can see how we built it!

http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/roma707m/

Roger Martinsen

Archived