CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Changing Spark Plugs

mike33

Gentlemen, I'm thinking of replacing my spark plugs on the 02 Deville. So, I realize I don't have plug wires on this car. Do I just remove the ignition pacs? Any pitfalls with the 4 on the fire wall? I read something in a previous post about "air check valve"

Thanks in Advance,

MIke

Not hard to replace just remove the packs and replace plugs make very sure no Bosch spark plugs will not run well at least over 10,000 miles and auto zone and advanced auto parts loves to push those stick with ac delco plugs or in my experience if you want to save a little money you can use autolite platinum I use them and I have never had a problem with these plugs in northstars...

Thanks Ranger. You know it's interesting, the car has 105,000 miles and runs like a dream. I'm only considering replacing the plugs because of the mileage requirement. Anybody ever let them go to 150,000 or 200,000? Tks, Mike

Thanks Ranger. You know it's interesting, the car has 105,000 miles and runs like a dream. I'm only considering replacing the plugs because of the mileage requirement. Anybody ever let them go to 150,000 or 200,000? Tks, Mike

It wasn't a Cadillac, and I don't recommend it for anyone else, but in a couple of my Chevy work vans...I have let the plugs go a lot longer than recommended. :D:D

I monitor my fuel mileage fairly closely because I drive a LOT of miles.

I used that to justify me not changing them as recommended. :D

I figured as long as the fuel mileage stayed the same..it was running OK.

I am pretty particular about my vehicles and the maintenance on them, but I am also kinda of the mindset of..."If It Ain't Broke...Don't Fix It." :D:D:D

One of the vans which I sold at around 150,000 miles. It was still running great.

The other one, which burned in my garage fire in 2006...had over 200,000 on it.

That one was a real good, almost totally trouble free vehicle. 1999 Chevy Astro Van with the 4.3 V6.

About all you ever had to do to it was put gas in it and drive it. Oh, and change the oil every once in a while. With the miles I put on it, the oil changes were sometimes once a month. :D:D

I really hated that it burned.

I was planning on AT LEAST 300,000 from it, and maybe much more.

I figured I would just keep it and drive it till it started giving me trouble.

Posted Image

We have heard of many people with well over the 100K "recommended" miles on the plugs. I'm with Jim. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

116K and counting on the plugs in my 2000 STS. Runs great!

Charles

I have changed the spark plugs a few times in my Northstar (I've owned 3 in a row now) with no noticeable change in performance. In my experience I find my Northstar responds noticeably better to a throttle body cleaning than a new set of plugs

In my experience, platinum tipped plugs will exhibit loss of the miniscule platinum layer soon after 100K miles. It might be hard to feel or measure a meaningful difference in engine performance or fuel economy, but the plugs are worth changing as recommended.

Examine high mileage plugs with plenty of light and a magnifying glass and compare what you see to a new platinum plug.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I recently changed them in my Northstar, after 140K plus miles. (I encountered no problems when replacing them at this late stage. It was very easy.) And, the car was running fine with the old plugs. The old plugs were worn and the gaps enlarged, but they still fired fine.

Depending on how much longer you are going to keep your car, you can decide when to change them. Replacing them once will give you another 100K miles, but only if you use the correct OEM plugs.

I have 139K on my 2001 DTS and have found no reason to change my plugs yet. I have not noted any change in either fuel mileage or overall performance since I purchased it with 77K three and a half years ago. I've changed all four power window regulators, but that's another story!!

Thanks Terry. I replaced to two rear window regulators, those windows were hardly used :( not sure what's up with those things.

I have 139K on my 2001 DTS and have found no reason to change my plugs yet. I have not noted any change in either fuel mileage or overall performance since I purchased it with 77K three and a half years ago. I've changed all four power window regulators, but that's another story!!

Thanks Terry. I replaced to two rear window regulators, those windows were hardly used :( not sure what's up with those things.

Either a plastic fitting breaks or the cable snaps and chews up the rollers/pulleys. POS design in my opinion. When the window regulators were the old style sissors type, there were rarely any problems with the regulators. Ever since the design was changed to the cable & pulley design, the problems began.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Either a plastic fitting breaks or the cable snaps and chews up the rollers/pulleys. POS design in my opinion. When the window regulators were the old style sissors type, there were rarely any problems with the regulators. Ever since the design was changed to the cable & pulley design, the problems began.

Why is it that they just can't seem to leave well enough alone when they have a proven reliable design?

Why is it that they just can't seem to leave well enough alone when they have a proven reliable design?

I'm sure the roller/cable design is much cheaper. What I don't understand is why don't they improve the existing cable regulator so that it IS reliable.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived