CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Check Coolant Light, Coolant Added

My 2003 CTS has 83,000 miles. The check coolant light came on last week, so my husband looked at it for me, before I went to have my oil changed for its regular change. We noticed the coolant was yellow, so my husband didn't add any of what kind he had on hand.

The oil change place added some when they changed the oil, on Saturday. I didn't drive the car Sunday, but I drove it Monday (yesterday) and backed it into the garage overnight last night. I drove away today without noticing until I came home today that there was a significant amount of pink coolant where the car had been parked. I wiped it up really well before I drove the car into the garage.

Is it OK that there is pink coolant under my car? I have never noticed any coolant under my car before. Could it be overflow from the addition of too much? Thanks.

Could be that a little coolant was released. I would keep an eye on it and if you see more then you must have a leak somewhere. One sign of a leak is if you smell coolant while driving, which means some is leaking under pressure.

My 2003 CTS has 83,000 miles. The check coolant light came on last week, so my husband looked at it for me, before I went to have my oil changed for its regular change. We noticed the coolant was yellow, so my husband didn't add any of what kind he had on hand.

The oil change place added some when they changed the oil, on Saturday. I didn't drive the car Sunday, but I drove it Monday (yesterday) and backed it into the garage overnight last night. I drove away today without noticing until I came home today that there was a significant amount of pink coolant where the car had been parked. I wiped it up really well before I drove the car into the garage.

Is it OK that there is pink coolant under my car? I have never noticed any coolant under my car before. Could it be overflow from the addition of too much? Thanks.

Your yellow coolant became pink? Transmission fluid is rather pink. Does it smell like oil?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

adallak, oh - transmission fluid is pink! I didn't think about that. Also, other types of coolant are green, aren't they? There wasn't any under my car this morning after I parked it in the garage last night.

When I cleaned up the spill of pink fluid yesterday morning, it was sort of slimy, not watery. Ugh, transmission fluid. I didn't smell anything so far.

Thanks, guys.

I called my husband and asked him about the "pink" fluid. He saw what was on the garage floor on Monday.

He told me, "Transmission fluid is red." Also, he added, "The pink fluid was in the front of the car."

So, would transmission fluid leak in the rear of the car?

I called my husband and asked him about the "pink" fluid. He saw what was on the garage floor on Monday.

He told me, "Transmission fluid is red." Also, he added, "The pink fluid was in the front of the car."

So, would transmission fluid leak in the rear of the car?

Fresh transmission fluid aka ATF is red, but it can pale and look rather pink than red. The transmissin lines run to the radiator, so I would not be surprized if one of several connections leaked and you found ATF in the front of the car. Pulll the transmission dipstick and compare the color and smell of ATF with what you get on the ground. Make sure it is transmision dpstick and not the motor oil one.

I would check the tranny cooler lines at the radiator. could be that one is loose. also check the color of the radiator coolant. yellow is normal for types like Prestone, but you say your shop added coolant they may have used a brand that is pink. sounds like overflow if that is the case. best of luck to you.

OK, storm_beck, I can do that. I know the coolant in the car was yellow, because hubby and I both looked and saw it. I don't know what the guys added. I can't imagine that all that came out was pink, if there was already yellow in there. Mysterious.

I appreciate your thoughts, and will ask hubby to check the tranny cooler lines at the radiator. This oil change place was new, as my regular one closed, and this new one was recommended to me. They seemed competent. I hope it isn't just a coincidence that something went wrong about this time!

adallak, got 'cha! I didn't smell what was on the floor. I wiped it up really good, because we have a cat, and I wanted to make sure he didn't get into it. I still need to make sure no lines are loose, because it was definitely pink and not watery.

I'm confused. Trans fluid is closer to red and has the consistency of oil. Dex-Cool (which is what SHOULD be in your car) is either pink or orangish and more of a watery consistency. If it is yellow, then maybe someone used a generic coolant (some are yellow). Where exactly was this spot in relation to the car?

Update

I took my car back to the Lube place, and they looked underneath it for me. They said it looks like the "intake". I have not seen anymore coolant under it, though.

Three days ago, the Check Coolant light started coming on again. My best friend is in, visiting from Michigan. I took her to my house overnight Saturday night. Her brother was at her mother's house yesterday (Sunday), and I told him about my Check Coolant light coming on. He drives a 2003 Buick.

He told me that his car had the same problem, and his extended warranty paid for the repair, and it was the intake. I didn't tell him I was told about the "intake". He said the cost for his repair was $1200.

I have an appointment for tomorrow to take my CTS to our mechanic. I have 3,000 miles left on the Universal Warranty I purchased at the time I bought my CTS with 50-some thousand miles on it.

I made a quick stop back to the Lube place for them to top off my coolant to get me thru tomorrow.

I'll check back when I know more.

I'm confused. Trans fluid is closer to red and has the consistency of oil. Dex-Cool (which is what SHOULD be in your car) is either pink or orangish and more of a watery consistency. If it is yellow, then maybe someone used a generic coolant (some are yellow). Where exactly was this spot in relation to the car?

Ranger,

It really was the coolant. It was pink. Where I saw it under the car was in the very front, center. I have seen no more, but the car is evidently losing or using some, enough to cause the Check Coolant light to come on.

Update

I took my car back to the Lube place, and they looked underneath it for me. They said it looks like the "intake". I have not seen anymore coolant under it, though.

Three days ago, the Check Coolant light started coming on again. My best friend is in, visiting from Michigan. I took her to my house overnight Saturday night. Her brother was at her mother's house yesterday (Sunday), and I told him about my Check Coolant light coming on. He drives a 2003 Buick.

He told me that his car had the same problem, and his extended warranty paid for the repair, and it was the intake. I didn't tell him I was told about the "intake". He said the cost for his repair was $1200.

I have an appointment for tomorrow to take my CTS to our mechanic. I have 3,000 miles left on the Universal Warranty I purchased at the time I bought my CTS with 50-some thousand miles on it.

I made a quick stop back to the Lube place for them to top off my coolant to get me thru tomorrow.

I'll check back when I know more.

They mean the intake manifold gasket is leaking.

UPDATE

My mechanic called with the diagnosis. During the pressure test, he found the leak to be the water pump! He said it was a bit hard to get to. He is going to be able to fix it for me by tomorrow afternoon.

Adallak, what you said, is what my friend's brother told me to expect. I'm relieved it not to be. Water pump sounds so much better. The warranty will cover either repair, but total repair including the pressure test for the water pump will be $305. My deductible is $250.

I breathed a sigh of relief!

UPDATE

My mechanic called with the diagnosis. During the pressure test, he found the leak to be the water pump! He said it was a bit hard to get to. He is going to be able to fix it for me by tomorrow afternoon.

Adallak, what you said, is what my friend's brother told me to expect. I'm relieved it not to be. Water pump sounds so much better. The warranty will cover either repair, but total repair including the pressure test for the water pump will be $305. My deductible is $250.

I breathed a sigh of relief!

A correct diagnosis is 50% of treatment. Hopefully everything will be fine as soon as the water pump is replaced. Make sure they use OEM parts.

Adallak, this is our usual mechanic in our home town. He is certified to do the warranty work. I don't know if he is using OEM parts; I didn't ask. I had read a thread on this site when I signed on a couple of weeks ago about someone using the less expensive parts and paying dearly for it.

My car was actually ready a few hours ago, but it will be this afternoon when I go to get it and pay for it. I never heard any noise, and there was not anymore sign of leakage since the beginning. There was, however, loss or use of coolant within a matter of days.

I'll be observant of any sounds or lights coming on for a couple of weeks to assure the repair corrects the problem!

This was a nice story

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived