CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

older caddys on the road

joeb

i was driving on the interstate coming out of downtown yesterday and had a similar year STS on my tail. all of a sudden a little newer eldo blew by us by 20mph or so. I went to the store and when i came out, another same year STS was parked across from me. everywhere i look i see old caddy's. maybe its the nice weather we are having.

i was driving on the interstate coming out of downtown yesterday and had a similar year STS on my tail. all of a sudden a little newer eldo blew by us by 20mph or so. I went to the store and when i came out, another same year STS was parked across from me. everywhere i look i see old caddy's. maybe its the nice weather we are having.

Age is a number... :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I drive my 93 with 170,500 miles at least 120 miles a day for my job. In the summer I'll fire up the 79 and drive that around too. I don't even think twice about starting up my 93 and driving it 300 miles.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

I see older Cadillacs around here all the time.

Most of them are kept up pretty nice and look pretty good.

The few old Town Cars I see...they are mostly all dirty and beat up and you can tell they haven't been taken care of AT ALL.

Since they are of a similar price when new...wonder why the huge difference in upkeep and maintainence just a few years later.

It is kind of strange when you start noticing the huge differences between the two.

Posted Image

I see older Cadillacs around here all the time.

Most of them are kept up pretty nice and look pretty good.

The few old Town Cars I see...they are mostly all dirty and beat up and you can tell they haven't been taken care of AT ALL.

Since they are of a similar price when new...wonder why the huge difference in upkeep and maintainence just a few years later.

It is kind of strange when you start noticing the huge differences between the two.

I've noticed that too. I see ratty TCs all the time, but rarely see older Caddys in that condition. Maybe be a numbers game. Lots of affordable Ford parts around so when the TCs break they can be kept going. Cadillac parts aren't like that especially with the FWD models...those cars get 'recycled'.

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Very similar observation here too! Lots of 10-15 year old Caddy's seen around here. Even the Caddy's that are 'abused' seem to hold up a lot better than the Towncars. I was once told that our cars are double-galvanized to keep the rust at bay. I see TONS of rust-bucket fords, but I don't think I've really ever seen a Cadillac with any more than a small spot or surface rust. I've yet to say "hey look! It's an STS with half the quarter-panel rotted off!"

The other thing I've noticed... nothing really decays severely under GM cars, or under the hoods. When I have my car up on a lift, some areas still look showroom fresh, after 12 years and over 100k miles. I once popped the hood on a 2004 Durango with under 30k miles, and EVERYTHING metal within sight had a thick layer of corrosion on it.

Back when I was at college (UMass Amherst), there was a used car dealer that only sold beater Towncars, Marquis, and Crown-Vics. I had plenty of friends who would go buy a mid 80s TC with 200k miles on it for well under $500. I spent a good deal of my time under the hoods, trying to figure out why they'd only run on 6 or 7 cylinders! Even if I could get them fixed, I'd always get a call a week later about some other mechanical meltdown. I even recall fixing a problem with them being able to start the car, but not turn it off! Maybe that's why I'll only drive GM now... :lol:

I was once told that our cars are double-galvanized to keep the rust at bay. I see TONS of rust-bucket fords, but I don't think I've really ever seen a Cadillac with any more than a small spot or surface rust.

I agree, my car is virtually rustproof. Many TC owners complain on rust issue. On the other hand, if TC and CV were not good vehicles, police and taxi and rental companies would not buy thousands of them. I saw many TC and CV with well over 400.000 miles and still going strong. People who know well the both Fords and Cadillacs say that Fords are easier and cheaper to work on. That may be the reason you can find a lot of minty looking Cadillacs at junk yards... :(

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I'm one of the few GM people that doesn't *hate* ford, I just prefer GM. I'd completely agree that Fords are 100x easier to work on, and the 4.6-V8 is a decent work-horse with lots of cheap, available, and easy to replace parts. My biggest complaint about the TC is that there's nothing 'special' about it. The ride feel is ok-at-best, the engine is just another ford V-8. That's what sold me on the Cadi - the engineering that went into it is inspiring, and as close as 'poetry-in-motion' as you can come for a mass-produced lux car.

Just another observation... has anybody EVER been in a taxi (Crown Vic) that doesn't have the check-engine light on? It seems every cab in NY and Boston is running with the Check Engine light on! I flew into NY last winter, and happened to get a cab that was a new crown vic, fully detailed, and spotless. The driver was well dressed and spoken, and kept the cab perfect. I took his number, and whenever I'm in the city, I call him for a ride! I'd rather support somebody who takes pride in their vehicle and career!

Archived