CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

"SMART CAR"

My daughter and I laugh at the SMART CAR, much like my Dad and I used to laugh at the Japanese imports in the 60's where he referred to them as vacuum cleaners as we blew by with our 60's 429 and 472's.

Yesterday I was with my daughter and there was a SMART CAR parked in the parking lot, I pulled up broadside to it, and it was about as wide as my Deville. I looked at my daughter and said, could you imagine if that car was hit broadside in an intersection by my car, or worse an Escalade or truck? The occupants would be dead. How smart is that?

Newsweek tends to be a liberal publication but I found this article interesting regarding what it takes to break 50 miles per gallon.

Miles to Go

Why automakers don't sell a car that gets 50mpg.

Keith Naughton

Newsweek Web Exclusive

Apr 4, 2008 | Updated: 11:35 a.m. ET Apr 4, 2008

So gas just hit another miserable milestone. Unleaded regular is averaging a record $3.30 a gallon and seems likely to blast past $4 by Memorial Day. Wouldn't it be great if you could drive a car that gets 50 miles per gallon? Well, you can. Just hop on a plane and fly to Europe, where all new cars average 43mpg, or Japan, where the average hits 50mpg. Here in the United States, we're stuck at 25mpg in our considerably larger and more powerful cars, trucks and SUVs. So why can't we do better? Here's the dirty little secret: we can. "If you want better fuel economy, it's just a question of when auto companies want to do it and when consumers decide they want to buy it," says Don Hillebrand, a former Chrysler engineer who is now director of transportation research for Argonne National Labs. "Auto companies can deliver it within a year."

A 50mpg car would certainly put a tiger in the tank of the moribund U.S. auto industry. But don't get your checkbook out quite yet. The reality is that you won't see a car on a showroom floor in America with 50mpg on the window sticker for at least three years and maybe longer. Sure, all auto companies are focusing on jacking up fuel economy, especially since Congress just mandated that all new autos sold by 2020 must average 35mpg. The new mileage mantra also is motivated by the fact that car sales are weak, partially because of panic at the pump. But putting out a 50mpg car any time soon is daunting even to the maker of America's mileage champ, the 48mpg Toyota Prius. "We're close enough to spit at that now," says Bill Reinert, Toyota's national manager of advanced technologies. "It's not an incredible stretch, but it's an incredible stretch to do it on a mass-market basis."

It might seem ludicrous to you that there isn't a mass market right here and now for a 50mpg car. For crying out loud, we've entered the age of the $128 fill-up. (The cost of topping off a Chevy Suburban). But here's the problem: to get to 50mpg in the near future, consumers would have to trade off at least one of three very important things—cost, drive quality or safety. That's because the quickest way to make a car more fuel-efficient is to make it smaller, lighter and equip it with some high-tech (a.k.a. costly) propulsion system like a plug-in gas-electric system.

Consider the exercise Ford just went through. It ran a computer simulation on what would happen to the mileage of a Ford Focus small car if you built it entirely out of lightweight aluminum. Losing the steel allowed the Focus to drop 1,000 pounds—30 percent of its body weight. That enabled Ford to outfit it with a tiny one-liter engine, half the size of its old engine, but far more fuel efficient because of new technology. Best of all, the small motor goes just as fast as the big one because the car is so much lighter. The result: fuel economy on this fabulous Focus went from 35mpg to 50mpg. What's stopping Ford from moving this car from pixels to pavement? The cost of an all-aluminum car could top $50,000—not a sum the typical economy-car buyer is willing to pay. "What's going to be the cost acceptance for this much improvement in fuel economy?" asks Dan Kapp, director of Ford's advanced engines and transmissions. "We don't know yet."

Still, all the major automakers are putting their cars on a crash diet. Ford wants to drop 250 to 750 pounds in all its models by 2012. Toyota and Nissan want to cut the fat by 10 to 15 percent. But this slim-fast campaign is running into the drive for more safety features in automobiles. Back in the 1980s, the Honda CRX-HF and the Geo Metro each got more than 50mpg, but they didn't have airbags or steel beams in their doors to protect occupants in a crash. These days, cars are equipped with six air bags, steel safety cages and electronic stability control to prevent spinouts. That makes cars much safer—but a lot fatter. "We are working in two directions," says Toyota's Reinert. "One is to make cars as safe as possible, and that generally makes them heavier. And the other is to make cars as fuel efficient as possible."

Downsizing also has its drawbacks. For starters, U.S. highway statistics show the smallest cars have death rates 2.5 times higher than the biggest. What's more, wimpy engines often (under) power small cars and that's a drawback many Americans won't abide. I recently drove the diminutive Smart car for a week. While it's certainly cute, its puny 70-horsepower engine and slow-shifting transmissions made me feel like Fred Flintstone could outrun me. That might be enough power for twisty Old World roads, but here in America, we have a need for speed. "Going zero to 60 in 15 seconds doesn't fit the average American consumers idea of mobility today," says Reinert. "That's too doggy."

Another quick way to improve fuel economy—and chase away customers—is to strip out stuff that makes the ride comfortable. For example, engineers could remove the soundproofing material that keeps road and engine noise out of the cockpit. Back in the '90s, when Detroit was fond of noting that gasoline was cheaper than bottled water, Hillebrand worked on the popular Chrysler minivan. They were having problems making the cabin quiet, so they sacrificed mileage to add sound insulation. "We just sprayed penny a pound asphalt into it to quiet it down because that was what the customer wanted," recalls Hillebrand. "Another mile per gallon would not make Car and Driver headlines. But having no wind noise did."

These days, though, more mpg makes news. And GM has certainly been getting plenty of mileage out of the Chevy Volt plug-in electric car it hopes to have on the market by 2010. On Thursday, they took reporters inside their Volt lab for another in a series of updates--unusual for a work in progress. And next week, GM will conduct a global online discussion with journalists to address the question: "Why don't automakers produce a 100mpg car?"

So when I called to ask why there are no 50mpg cars, Volt chief engineer Frank Weber practically scoffed at me. "Fifty miles per gallon is not the target," he said in his German accent. "We are working in the three-digit range." All hype aside, analysts say GM just might be the first to achieve 50mpg with the Volt, which Weber assured me will get well over 100mpg. Crackling with confidence, he "guaranteed" the car's advanced lithium-ion battery is ready for the road. Many automakers are racing to develop lithium-ion batteries (like those used in laptops), which juice up faster and go farther on a charge. But only GM is claiming to have cracked the code. Weber also said there is "no doubt" the Volt will deliver on GM's promise of driving for the first 40 miles on pure electric power. After that, a tiny engine kicks in, but only to recharge the battery, not to turn the wheels like conventional hybrids. "Our goal," says Weber, "is to avoid the usage of gasoline completely."

Wouldn't that be nice? But at what price? Analysts predict the Volt will top $30,000, and consumers might have to pay an additional $100 to $200 a month to lease that advanced, but unproven, battery pack. Weber dismissed battery leasing as "an old idea," but declined to divulge pricing on the Volt so far from its launch. Any new technology like this, though, comes with a hefty premium, which takes years to pay off in savings at the gas pump. So taking the high-tech road to high mileage comes down to a question of pay now or pay later. (In the case of some high-priced hybrids, like the late and not-so-great Honda Accord hybrid, the payoff never came.)

In the end, what I found most fascinating about raising this 50mpg question is just how nervous its made Honda and Toyota. Honda wouldn't even speak to me about it. Perhaps that's because Honda has a Prius competitor in the works that it has promised will have better mileage when it hits the road next year. Let's see, what's better than 48mpg? And Toyota is in the midst of creating an entire lineup of Prius models, which will include a wagon, a family car and a tiny urban runabout beginning in 2010. So if you take the Prius power plant and put it into a Smart-size car, what do you get? Toyota isn't saying, but there could be a hint in Reinert's assessment of Mercedes's mighty mite. "The Smart is incredibly attractively packaged," he says. "It could be the iPhone version 1 of cars." Version 2.0 could roll into a Toyota showroom in a few years—with a window sticker well above 50mpg. And not a moment too soon.

URL: http://www.newsweek.com/id/130439

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Neat article.

There is a flooring company (carpet/hardwood/vinyl) down the street from me, that has one of the smart cars sitting out front with their name on it.

It is SO TINY. :D

I did like you...pulled my Cadillac in beside it one day.

My car is as WIDE as the stupid, Smart car is LONG.

I don't know what it weighs, but my Cadillac is close to TWO AND A HALF TONS, with me, a full tank of fuel and all the junk that is normally in it.

In an accident...sorry to say...whoever is in the Smart car...LOSES.

I have also passed a couple of them on the freeway when I have been driving my fullsize Chevy Van.

I could just about put one in the back of my van and close all the doors. :D:D:D

The top of them only comes up halfway on my doors.

As long as there are still big cars and trucks on the road...I don't think you will be seeing me in one of them.

Posted Image

The issue of crash survive-ability is high on my "must have" list of things that I desire in a vehicle. That is why I have a 2003 SLS for the wife, a 1996 FWD Suburban for getting to work, and a 2005 Chevy FWD 2500HD Diesel pick-up for hauling stuff.

I would put these vehicles up against most any thing except an 18 wheeler or 10 wheel dump truck.

Anyone who chooses to drive or ride in one of these so-called "smart" cars should take into account the utter lack of survive-ability that these cars have.

On the horizon. Look for mandatory scrapping of automobiles after they reach a certain age. I believe that Singapore has such a law now.

Britt

The issue of crash survive-ability is high on my "must have" list of things that I desire in a vehicle. That is why I have a 2003 SLS for the wife, a 1996 FWD Suburban for getting to work, and a 2005 Chevy FWD 2500HD Diesel pick-up for hauling stuff.

I would put these vehicles up against most any thing except an 18 wheeler or 10 wheel dump truck.

Anyone who chooses to drive or ride in one of these so-called "smart" cars should take into account the utter lack of survive-ability that these cars have.

On the horizon. Look for mandatory scrapping of automobiles after they reach a certain age. I believe that Singapore has such a law now.

It has already started.....They want your trucks.

http://www.sema.org/Main/ArticleDetail.asp...contentID=61134

Posted Image

I have a neighbor who panicked and traded her SUV for a "smart" car when gas hit $4.00. I can't help but wonder how she feels now. I have to shake my head and chuckle every time I see one of those silly little wheeled coffins.

When I see a SMART CAR I don't know whether to be fascinated or bust out laughing. :huh: I think the SMART CAR is un-American. I stuck a vinyl American flag on the inside glass of my rear window of my Eldo. But I would feel stupid putting one in a SMART CAR. There's just something not right about it. Oh well, we'll just have to get use to it. Let me see, Cadillac STS or SMART CAR? Which is a chick magnet? :lol:

Let me see, Cadillac STS or SMART CAR? Which is a chick magnet? :lol:

Hmmm...let me think a minute...

SMART CAR= Wild eyed, radical, environmentalist, vegan type that only bathes once a week and is going to SAVE THE PLANET...whether you want it saved or not. And in addition, she will complement you on not having leather seats, because that saved some animals, but still complain and B!TCH, because you are burning gas and not riding a bicycle.

Cadillac STS= A girl with enough sense to appreciate style and comfort. She likes the finer things in life and can probably carry on a conversation of more than two sentences at a time without going off on some kind of tirade.

Hmm...hard choice...I need to give this more thought. :D:D:D

Posted Image

This question is an obvious no brainer!

Do you think that these two obviously intelligent women would be fawning over a smart car?

2008-d3-cadillac-cts-oc-angels-side.jpg

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

This question is an obvious no brainer!

Do you think that these two obviously intelligent women would be fawning over a smart car?

2008-d3-cadillac-cts-oc-angels-side.jpg

Probably not.

In fact I pretty sure they wouldn't.

On second thought/look...I KNOW they wouldn't.

:D:D:D

Posted Image

One of these things was next to me on the L.I.E. a few days ago doing around 75mph. My jaw dropped! I was stunned anyone would drive at such speed in that lunchbox. Along came a gust of wind and he suddenly looked like he was going to be in my glove box in short order. I put some distance between us in a hurry.

I'm sure he thinks he's a very SMART driver, in this life anyway. He may be in the next life sooner than he thinks.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Sunday I played cards with some friends. They spend the winter months here in the good ol' US of A, but they summer in the Mediteranean aboard a sailboat doing what they call a "Terror Tour."

They explained they rented a SMART car in Turkey. It was fully a foot SHORTER (!) than the version we see here (is that even possible?). As such, you can park it head-in at a curb as it's no longer than a car is wide.

I can only hope it has fourteen airbags.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 10 months later...
SMART CAR= Wild eyed, radical, environmentalist, vegan type that only bathes once a week and is going to SAVE THE PLANET...whether you want it saved or not. And in addition, she will complement you on not having leather seats, because that saved some animals, but still complain and B!TCH, because you are burning gas and not riding a bicycle.

Sounds like a typical Swede to me.

The governments here won't stop until the only CO2 emissions from this country will come from wood-burning when we are trying not to freeze to death because all of the wind power stations are standing still. They won’t stop until we travel with a horse and carriage again.

We have a law forcing gas stations who sells over a certain (low) amount of fuel to also sell E85 or equivalent. This makes less profitable gas stations close for good because the investment is too expensive for them.

We also have a law forcing investments in railroad track laying. I.e. for every 2 miles of planned road there has to be 1 mile railroad too. This makes road building too expensive.

We are also forced to drive slower for every year. For” safety” and “environmental” reasons we now have to travel mostly at 45-50 mph if we don't want a speeding fine...

We have to pay environmental fees on the gasoline prize and taxes on that plus extra taxes based on the vehicles fuel efficiency AND the morons are seriously talking about introducing toll roads over here.

What for? We have already paid for our lousy excuses for roads with taxes, taxes and even more taxes.

And I thought the USSR was gone.

What really makes my day is that everyone is so darn brainwashed that they seriously feel that everything here is getting better by the day.

Wow Jan, that is incredible. What is it that some people see, that I can not see?

Emissions from engines has dropped substantially since the 70s and no one gives us credit for what we have done. See this chart

avg-emissions-by-result.gif

I dont know what the statistics are but I am sure that average mpg have increased also. We have changed Air Conditioning freon and lowered CFCs in everything EVEN the inhalers my wife uses for asthma.

I have heard stories about STATES leasing and selling their highways to investors

http://archive.seacoastonline.com/news/041..._nati/98531.htm

We are talking about legalizing pot, for the tax revenues,

what the hell is wrong with us? we shipped all of our jobs out of the country, and China a country with serious human rights issues and censorship, buy all of our oil from countries that hate us, when we have domestic oil. We have put men on the moon, built a space station, operated remote vehicles on mars, landed on a moving asteroid and if there was a miracle clean power source, I have NO doubt that we would have it. I do believe that the solar panel technology has progressed because of the space program.

I dont know the answer the political climate in the world is immobilizing. I do believe however that things are going to get better

Wow Jan, that is incredible. What is it that some people see, that I can not see?

Emissions from engines has dropped substantially since the 70s and no one gives us credit for what we have done. See this chart

avg-emissions-by-result.gif

I dont know what the statistics are but I am sure that average mpg have increased also. We have changed Air Conditioning freon and lowered CFCs in everything EVEN the inhalers my wife uses for asthma.

I have heard stories about STATES leasing and selling their highways to investors

http://archive.seacoastonline.com/news/041..._nati/98531.htm

We are talking about legalizing pot, for the tax revenues,

what the hell is wrong with us? we shipped all of our jobs out of the country, and China a country with serious human rights issues and censorship, buy all of our oil from countries that hate us, when we have domestic oil. We have put men on the moon, built a space station, operated remote vehicles on mars, landed on a moving asteroid and if there was a miracle clean power source, I have NO doubt that we would have it. I do believe that the solar panel technology has progressed because of the space program.

I dont know the answer the political climate in the world is immobilizing. I do believe however that things are going to get better

That picture talks for itself. The amounts of emitted HC, NOx and CO are almost non-existent today. Since the fuel economy has increased greatly it probably also means that CO2 has decreased.

Ford is selling Volvo to China and nobody here sees anything wrong with that. Many believe that they will be a better owner...go figure. In a couple of years all of the car industry left here will be moved to China. The politicians in a nearby county proudly announced that "There won't be any American flags on the WTC" (there is a business group trying to establish business centres all over Sweden called WTC). The same politicians also talks about "the great opportunities with making business with China". As if an industrial country can compete with that kind of regime on equal conditions.

I’ve been working as a mechanical engineer on quite a lot of places and companies and I can’t tell how many stories I’ve been told about Chinese companies stealing technologies and duplicating machines, cars etc. They also dump the prices in order to crush the competition.

I’m not a keen fan of government intervention but the whole idea of buying cheap crap from countries with low wages without any measures taken to protect us from this kind of “free market” will put the whole western civilization back to the dark ages.

I concur, we need to shut down CHINA immediately, they are destroying the worlds economy. They do not play well with others, steal, etc, how the world continues to allow this CANCER to exist is beyond me. China is a serious problem, that needs to be resolved

Do I need to go down the line of CRAP they sell? Their products suck

Melomine in DOG and BABY food?

I bought a Farberware coffee pot for my wife at christmas and its made in china, I am CONCERNED about the stainless steel, chrome and if it can poison me! It weights 7 ounces less than the old one that was made in the US, it feels like a feather compared to the old one. The coffee tastes funny, should I be concerned? :o

SOMEONE wake the hell up

Who is going to stop this? Ralph Nader? China car crash-test auto Magazine Аutoreview broke ordinary Chinese car The driver has 90% chances to die. China car crash-test auto Magazine Аutoreview broke ordinary Chinese carThe driver has 90% chances to die. Category: Autos & VehiclesTags: China car crash-test EuroNCAP autoreview ncap auto Chinese geely badly crash test

A good friend of mine had a prius. To heck with a spare tire, I swear I could have put the thing in my trunk and used it as a spare car. She just traded it in for an '06 Pontiac Grand Prix. Go her. I dunno about the rest of the world, but I know I feel safer driving around in a big car that is made of STEEL versus a tiny one made of mostly plastic.... I don't care how many air bags and safety features you put in it.

big4870885.jpg

I may be forced someday to have a little bitty toy car.

I hope not and until then, I will keep driving Cadillacs as long as I can.

I am getting too old and stiff to be a contortionist getting into and out of a little cracker box.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it. :D

PS...Another reason..........the baby cars can't spin the wheels like my Cadillac can.

Posted Image

Now, I understand all cars have their issues, but how safe is this for a "smart car"?

Toyota Prius Recalls

Prius VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL Recall – ID# 27154

Recall Date

OCT 05, 2009

Model Affected

2009 TOYOTA PRIUS

Description

TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2004-2010 PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL CAN GET STUCK IN THE WIDE OPEN POSITION DUE TO ITS BEING TRAPPED BY AN UNSECURED OR INCOMPATIBLE DRIVER'S FLOOR MAT.

Consequence

A STUCK OPEN ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY RESULT IN VERY HIGH VEHICLE SPEEDS AND MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO STOP THE VEHICLE, WHICH COULD CAUSE A CRASH, SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

Remedy

TOYOTA FILED AN AMENDED DEFECT REPORT ON NOVEMBER 25, 2009, STATING THAT DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND, ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, ALTER THE SHAPE OF THE FLOOR SURFACE UNDER THE PEDAL. THESE CHANGES ADDRESS THE RISK OF PEDAL ENTRAPMENT DUE TO INTERFERENCE WITH THE FLOOR MAT. REDESIGNED ACCELERATOR PEDALS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE BEGINNING IN APRIL 2010 AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE ANY MODIFIED PEDAL WITH THE NEW PEDAL IF DESIRED. ALSO, DEALERS WILL REPLACE ANY GENUINE TOYOTA OR LEXUS ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS WITH REDESIGNED ALL-WEATHER MATS, OR REPURCHASE THE PREVIOUS MATS FROM OWNERS WHO DO NOT WANT THE NEW ONES. ADDITIONALLY, SOFTWARE MODIFICATIONS WILL BE INSTALLED ON CAMRY, AVALON AND LEXUS ES 350, IS 350 AND IS 250 MODELS THAT WILL ENSURE THAT THE BRAKE OVERRIDES THE ACCELERATOR IN THE EVENT BOTH BRAKE AND ACCELERATOR PEDALS ARE APPLIED. TOYOTA WILL BEGIN MAILING LETTERS TO OWNERS IN DECEMBER 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331, LEXUS AT 1-800-255-3987.

Potential Units Affected

Notes

TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION

Source = http://www.automotive.com/2009/49/toyota/p...alls/27154.html

Sorry, just found this amusing.

big4870885.jpg

A good friend of mine had a prius. To heck with a spare tire, I swear I could have put the thing in my trunk and used it as a spare car. She just traded it in for an '06 Pontiac Grand Prix. Go her. I dunno about the rest of the world, but I know I feel safer driving around in a big car that is made of STEEL versus a tiny one made of mostly plastic.... I don't care how many air bags and safety features you put in it.

Hey post some photos of that Eldo

Here is my 74 Eldorado, its 20 years older than yours

74EldoReartight.jpg

Well yours is definitely bigger than mine :D

These are the pics I took of my car when I went to look at it before I bought it. I haven't taken any recent ones since cars don't look pretty here in the winter, lol.

I think I made out pretty well for 500$.

eldo1.jpg

eldo2.jpg

eldo3.jpg

big4870885.jpg

These are the pics I took of my car when I went to look at it before I bought it. I haven't taken any recent ones since cars don't look pretty here in the winter, lol.

eldo2.jpg

Do you want to double your money real quick?

I could make a quick trip to new York. :D:D:D:D

Posted Image

Hey post some photos of that Eldo

Here is my 74 Eldorado, its 20 years older than yours

74EldoReartight.jpg

Mike,

I had a 76...almost the same color.

The center of my wheel covers was the same color as the car.

Mine was the Biarittz with a sunroof.

The front half of the top was Stainless Steel and the back half was vinyl.

Used to drive it in parades and stuff...my niece would sit on top with legs hanging down thru the sunroof and throw candy and trinkets to the little kids that were watching the parade.

It was fun.

I used to drive it around on weekends just to watch people stare at it. :D:D

Posted Image

eldo2.jpg

Do you want to double your money real quick?

I could make a quick trip to new York. :D:D:D:D

Lol, no. I'm sorry. I don't think I'll ever part with this car. I put about 300$ into it when I got it for front wheel bearings, and new coil springs (which I was aware it needed before I bought it). I got lucky. Its old owner abandoned it at the garage my brother Eddie works at because he didn't want to pay for the new bearings and coil springs. He signed the title over to Eddie's boss, gave him the keys, and went back to Texas. His boss sold me the car for 500$ with all the service records he had from the previous owner. He just wanted it off his lot. He was originally asking 1,500$ for it, but dropped it when Eddie told him I was his sister. So far it's been a great car (though it does still need some work) and after driving it, I don't think I would ever want anything but a Cadillac. :D To me this car is worth fixing no matter what goes wrong with it.

big4870885.jpg

Archived