CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Electronic Dimming Mirrors

Dave in Texas

I recently took a 800mi round-trip and my car, with its new engine, performed flawlessly. Engine has 1100mi on it now. During the return trip I did some night driving and found out my auto-dimming mirror doesn't dim anymore. I bought one from an ebay source some years back and it worked well.....for a time. The compass was supposed to be a constant display, but it quit that and I had to punch a button to view it. Couldn't view it with sunglasses on during the day because the LEDs were Blue. The dimming feature quit too. Company sent me a replacement and now it's acting the same way....made in China, BTW. I need the auto-dimming feature, especially when a car has those darn blue bulbs.....even at low-beam those things a blinding to the car in front.

Anyway, no more China mirrors. Anyone know of a reliable brand in this type (constant compass display/auto-dimming) of mirror?

Something you don't want to see at night doing 75+: a herd of wild hogs grazing along side of the dark road!! Those things are huge......

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

I would really suggest EBay, or a local scrap yard for genuine GM. I got mine with the compass for $20.00. my old one with auto dim still works, and it was 12 years old.

Maybe your old one still works, just the electric eye got a little dirty?

The DHS has an electric rear window shade. I keep mine up all the time and my mirror seems to work just fine.

My first DTS had the electric rear window shade. The inside mirror worked fine.

I really like the rear shade. That is about the only option this one don't have.

My outside mirror works fine, it is just the inside one that is slow to react now.

It worked fine till I had the REALLY DARK (almost limo) tint put on the back window.

Now a car has to be real close before it dims very much.

That it is no longer a big deal, because the dark tint also keeps the outside light from the other car from coming in. :D

Posted Image

Don't have tinted windows and the mirror is an electrocromatic type. Don't think there is an electric eye needed to activate the automatic dimming. I found/bought a used GenTex brand mirror out of a GM vehicle, so maybe it will work for me...

My rear view dimming is not working either. Lately I've been adjusting my side mirrors to reflect the ridiculous bright Xenon or whatever they are back on the driver behind me. I also do the same if someone has their brights on. I wish those Xenon lamps would be outlawed. They are excessive and unnecessary. <_<:lol:

My rear view dimming is not working either. Lately I've been adjusting my side mirrors to reflect the ridiculous bright Xenon or whatever they are back on the driver behind me. I also do the same if someone has their brights on. I wish those Xenon lamps would be outlawed. They are excessive and unnecessary. <_<:lol:

I'll second that.

Received my GenTex 120 today. No wiring diagram! 5-wires: Yellow, Black, Green, Gray, White w/Blk stripe.

This mirrow is auto-dim and Compass.....lotsa wires for 2 funtions? Anyone know the correct electric hook-up for this unit? Thanks

I figured it out.....

Well...don't keep it a secret. :D

Someone else may need help and not be as good as you are.

All joking aside...you have done a good job changing the engine in your coupe and DOING IT RIGHT.

I respect that.

Posted Image

I figured it out.....

Well...don't keep it a secret. :D

Someone else may need help and not be as good as you are.

All joking aside...you have done a good job changing the engine in your coupe and DOING IT RIGHT.

I respect that.

Thanks Jim. I had to do it right....it's a Cadillac. Mirror only needed a ignition controlled 12v source and a ground. I tried finding the factory wires that are supposed to be in the headliner, but couldn't find/see that DD7 harness, so I punted.

I have some problems with my dimming mirrors. My inside one is constantly dimmed and my outside one is...well...broken; I think. It looks as if there is black fluid just pooled on the bottom half of the mirror. I'm guessing I need a replacement, but I don't really need the outside one to be dimmed, because let's just face it, the mirrors on the early 90's caddy's were too tiny to see anything anyway. Is there anyway to drain that fluid?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Archived