CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

"headlamps suggested"

tonyny

Lately I've been getting this message displayed even in BROAD DAYLIGHT. Not a big deal but annoying. Any idea what's causing this? The car is an '01 STS

Thanks

"Capital punishment means never having to say, "You again"?

It is most likely a bad photocell under the center dash defroster grill. Sometimes, the sensor drifts and is no longer the proper resistance. A new one is $25.00 and should fix the problem.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It is most likely a bad photocell under the center dash defroster grill. Sometimes, the sensor drifts and is no longer the proper resistance. A new one is $25.00 and should fix the problem.

Does this involve taking the dash apart or is it an easy fix?

My 02 does the same thing. It doesn't always do it, just every once and a while.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

My 2001 did the same thing when I picked it up from the dealer.

Finally figured out the wipers were in the auto position for rainsense.

Flip the wipers to true off, have the headlamps in the auto position, and the message should go away.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

That wasn't the case for mine. My issue is off and on. Some days it will be fine and read the light normally, but sometimes it will think it's dark out all the time. It's immpossible to read the navigation and instrument cluster on a sunny day with the lights on. I've just learned to deal with it. If I shut the twilight sentinel off and drive around awhile, it seems to straighten out.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Does this involve taking the dash apart or is it an easy fix?

Follow ted tcb's suggestions first. If that does not solve the issue, then replace the photocell. The defroster grill should just pop off and the photocell is below the grill.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

My 02 does the same thing. It doesn't always do it, just every once and a while.

First of all, I'd say most of these problems are in the photocell circuit, but we already knew that. Like ted tcb said, make sure the wipers aren't on, and not in rainsense mode.

Anyway, my 99 used to have that issue, but it was fixed when the dealership plugged the photocell back in! yes, somebody had the top of the dash off and forgot to plug it back in. I'd say for your intermittent problem, you should check the connector to make sure none of the connectors are loose or backed out of the plastic holder. If all the connections check out, a new cell is in order, like KHE said.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

My 2001 did the same thing when I picked it up from the dealer.

Finally figured out the wipers were in the auto position for rainsense.

Flip the wipers to true off, have the headlamps in the auto position, and the message should go away.

Worked like a charm when I shut my rainsense off! Left the auto position OFF as I rather turn on my lights when I WANT to. One reason I took the fuse out for my driving lights on the DTS.

I would never have thought to check the autosense for this -- like others I thought it had to do with a bad photocell on the dash. Hey I ain't complaining.

Thanks for the help!

Archived