CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bluestar Experience - Onstar-Bluetooth

coolnesss

I'm considering a Bluestar, which is a device that de-activates the Onstar and integrates with a bluetooth module which is included. It is advertised as plug and play, and runs through the mike and speakers in the car.

Does anyone have experience with this?

THANKS

Where did you find something like this? I'd like to have something like that!

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

http://costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html

I emailed them this morning, and they replied immediately.

Here's a piece of their email:

It's easy to hook up, provided you can get access to the onstar module. I'm

not sure where it is in an Eldorado. In the Deville, it is located behind

the rear seat, accessed from the trunk. You can ask in the Cadillac forums,

someone there can tell you where it is and how easy it is to access. Once

you locate the onstar module, you simply unplug it, and plug in the BlueSTAR

in its place. No wires to cut or splice, so it's pretty easy.

The only issue I've heard of is with iPhone 3G. There is a delay connecting

to received calls for some reason. Outgoing calls are fine. It seems to be

an apple issue, but most people just deal with it.

I offer 60 day full refund so if you have any problems with install or use,

you can return it for a full refund.

I'm currently out of stock, but should be getting more in next week. That

will give you some time to locate the onstar module to see what you're up

against.

Very cool!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I'm considering a Bluestar, which is a device that de-activates the Onstar and integrates with a bluetooth module which is included. It is advertised as plug and play, and runs through the mike and speakers in the car.

THANKS

You have Onstar in a '98 Eldo??

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have the BlueSTAR in my car. It works exactly as advertised. My issue is I bought an iPhone 3G to upgrade and it isn't completely compatible with the Motorola HF850 module that the BlueSTAR uses. That was me Chris was telling you about. It works well enough for me, however, and Chris at CoStar Technologies is working on an upgrade that may help. Chris provides EXCELLENT customer service and a very nicely engineered product.

Charles

WHAT?

Integrates what?

How?

Air bag deployment notification?

Online diagnostics?

Or just a hands free phone through the speakers?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

WHAT?

Integrates what?

How?

Air bag deployment notification?

Online diagnostics?

Ya, non of that..

Or just a hands free phone through the speakers?

Ya just that... But considering that Onstar is DEAD on any care build before 2001 and MANY built before 2005... this is better then Nothing... and unlike Onstar which costs you "another" $20 or $30 a month this system is "free"

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

My 97 seville had an early version of onstar in it. I have a couple of older sales brochures from the 90's and they were starting it around 95 I believe. It was obviously a very primitive version, but it was still onstar.

I would like to buy a couple of those bluestar things because I have onstar in my 02 seville and in my 2006 GMC and I don't have any plans to activate either one. I would like to use it for bluetooth though.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

You can find all about it - good points, bad points, praises, and gripes at:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadil...-completed.html

So far, the discussion is 14 pages. The guy designing and selling it is active in that thread.

It replaces the VCIM module located in the trunk. Just unplug the old one and plug in the new one. It is totally plug and play. It uses the buttons on the mirror to control it. Thus, you MUST have the OnStar buttons on the rear view mirror for this to work. However, there are workarounds for those that do not have this. See the thread and the vendor's website for details. This module changes the functions of the OnStar buttons. Since the older Caddys won't have OnStar activated anyway (99.9999% of them have the analog phone in them which will not work with OnStar anymore), loss of OnStar functionality isn't a concern.

The only issue I have with it is that if you have NAV and voice-recognition, this module disables the talk/end button on the steering wheel. This button allows you to control the NAV and BOSE radio with your voice without having to take your eyes of the road. This is a safety feature that I think should NOT be disabled. It is controlled by the VCIM module that Bluestar replaces.

This is the only reason why I do not get this module. However, not all cars have it, so this isn't a concern for most Caddy owners. If this module didn't disable the TALK/END button, I would have bought this module a long time ago.

The guy designing this thing is trying to solve this problem. The obstacle he faces is that he needs to find an STS that has the talk/end button that also has the NAV/BOSE system so he can take a snapshot of the CAN bus transactions when the TALK and END buttons are pushed.

There are a few things this module doesn't do that the GM-supplied phone does: Caller ID in the instrument cluster (or was it on the NAV display?) and maybe a few other things.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

You can find all about it - good points, bad points, praises, and gripes at:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadil...-completed.html

So far, the discussion is 14 pages. The guy designing and selling it is active in that thread.

It replaces the VCIM module located in the trunk. Just unplug the old one and plug in the new one. It is totally plug and play. It uses the buttons on the mirror to control it. Thus, you MUST have the OnStar buttons on the rear view mirror for this to work. However, there are workarounds for those that do not have this. See the thread and the vendor's website for details. This module changes the functions of the OnStar buttons. Since the older Caddys won't have OnStar activated anyway (99.9999% of them have the analog phone in them which will not work with OnStar anymore), loss of OnStar functionality isn't a concern.

The only issue I have with it is that if you have NAV and voice-recognition, this module disables the talk/end button on the steering wheel. This button allows you to control the NAV and BOSE radio with your voice without having to take your eyes of the road. This is a safety feature that I think should NOT be disabled. It is controlled by the VCIM module that Bluestar replaces.

This is the only reason why I do not get this module. However, not all cars have it, so this isn't a concern for most Caddy owners. If this module didn't disable the TALK/END button, I would have bought this module a long time ago.

The guy designing this thing is trying to solve this problem. The obstacle he faces is that he needs to find an STS that has the talk/end button that also has the NAV/BOSE system so he can take a snapshot of the CAN bus transactions when the TALK and END buttons are pushed.

There are a few things this module doesn't do that the GM-supplied phone does: Caller ID in the instrument cluster (or was it on the NAV display?) and maybe a few other things.

I didn't know it disabled the talk/end button. I probably won't be getting one on my STS then. I still will probably do it for my GMC though.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

THANKS

He now has a 2002 Eldorado...was posted in another thread...commemorative edition.

Charles

• 3 months later...

I finally got it installed! Man - it works GREAT!!!!!!!

The call quality is perfect. The buttons on the mirror control it. It's seamless.

I had to get a pigtail to hook it to the "lever lock" cable end in the ETC - so - before you order it, take a photo of the onstar connectors and send it to Mike so you can get all the right stuff at once. Mike is great - fast, responsive emails.

Coolness,

You wouldn't happen to have the Bose Nav system, would you? There is a bit of an issue with the Bluestar and cars that have the Nav system. It seems Bluestar disables the Call/End button on the steering wheel with cars with Bose and Nav.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

IPB Image

Rumor has it that the iPhone issues with the Motorola HF850 that the BlueSTAR uses are corrected in the version 3.0 software slated to be released by Apple soon. That would be awesome!

Charles

This looks pretty cool to me I always thought the onstar was kinda neat but I would never pay for it and never have. So now it sits idle in my CTS. I does any one know with this blue tooth will it play mp3's from the phone? I dont c why it wouldn't but also didn't notice anything even mentioning it. If it does that I am definitely all over this idea.

Nope, no nav system.

Is Mike working on a cure for the call/end button?

I think he is. Problem is that he needs a car with Bose/Nav so he can take a snapshot of the CAN2 bus transactions when that button is activated. Until then, he can't do much. He is way over on the other side of the country from me so I cannot help him.

IPB Image

Archived