CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bought another old caddy!

95SevilleSLS

I was out selling some insurance and I went to an old lady's house to renew her of her old policy and I saw she had an older Caddy sitting in the driveway. One thing led to another and she said I could have it for $150! So I jumped on it!

It's a Coupe DeVille D'Elegance with 144,000 miles on it. It's a light tanish color. I'll get some pictures when some of the snow melts around here. It is in VERY good condition. I drove it 120 miles home from where I bought it with no problem at all. Here is a picture of one, it's not mine, but just to get an idea.

2564754096_81a4f62769.jpg?v=0

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Good luck to you and your "new" car. Post of pics of it soon!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

What year is the car - 1978 or 1979? They were pretty much identical except for subtle differences. '78 had the steering wheel center that was straight across (same as the '77) and larger cross hatches on the grille. The '79 had the angled steering wheel center and smaller crosshatching on the grille.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Sorry, I forgot to mention that! It's a '79. That thing is a blast to drive. It has a lot of power. It actually feels like it has more power than the 500 that I had in my eldorado, but that wouldn't make any sense.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to mention that! It's a '79. That thing is a blast to drive. It has a lot of power. It actually feels like it has more power than the 500 that I had in my eldorado, but that wouldn't make any sense.

When the 425 is running RIGHT...they are pretty darn strong. :D

Remember... that is SEVEN LITERS. :D

Posted Image

When the 425 is running RIGHT...they are pretty darn strong. :D

Remember... that is SEVEN LITERS. :D

Can't beat the good old cubic inches!

It's been sitting for 6 years so it has a few things that need fixing. I probably need to go through the carb. Everytime I touch the gas the idle goes up. I thought the choke was staying on, but it's not. I think something is sticking in the carb.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

It's been sitting for 6 years so it has a few things that need fixing. I probably need to go through the carb. Everytime I touch the gas the idle goes up. I thought the choke was staying on, but it's not. I think something is sticking in the carb.

That is the Quadrajet carb. They are relatively easy to work on.

One thing that sometimes happens is... people tighten the wingnut on top of the air cleaner too tight and it puts stress on the crossbar that the choke plate fastens to and can cause sticking.

When you take the air cleaner OFF to check it.. it ain't sticking. :D

The wingnut needs to be snug... but not REAL TIGHT.

Posted Image

That is the Quadrajet carb. They are relatively easy to work on.

One thing that sometimes happens is... people tighten the wingnut on top of the air cleaner too tight and it puts stress on the crossbar that the choke plate fastens to and can cause sticking.

When you take the air cleaner OFF to check it.. it ain't sticking. :D

The wingnut needs to be snug... but not REAL TIGHT.

Thanks for the advice! I'll see if it's too tight.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

My auto-tech used to have a '79 Coupe and would loan it to me whenever I brought my car in for service.

That torque monster was an incentive for regular service! ;)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I had a 1978 Sedan de Ville and a 1979 El Dorado Biarritz, both with the 425.

Loved the power and torque of the 425.

There was a company in California, way back then, that sold headers for the 425.

I bought a set and had them put on the 78 Sedan de Ville along with true duals and an "X" pipe. It ran real good.

Posted Image

My '71 MkIII with the 460c.i. 365hp engine (rejetted and recurved) was also something of a torque monster. That thing had amazing performance in 2nd gear.

Of course, gas was a bit cheaper in those years. :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

My '71 MkIII with the 460c.i. 365hp engine (rejetted and recurved) was also something of a torque monster. That thing had amazing performance in 2nd gear.

Of course, gas was a bit cheaper in those years. :D

Regards,

Warren

I bought a 1972 Mark lV in 74. Also had the 460. Also recurved the distributor. Didn't know anyone else that did that. It helped it quite a bit.

Lets see...in 1971...in Texas, Premium was around 30 cents a gallon.

Sometimes less when we had a GAS WAR.

I remember buying it as cheap as 23 cents a gallon. :D:D

I was driving a 1970 Duster 340 for a daily driver.

Couldn't keep transmissions in it.

Wife usually drove my 59 El Camino with the 348 / Tri Power.

Was in partnership with a guy with a 70 Hemi Cuda automatic. That was our 1/4 mile weekend car.

Aaahh.. the good old days... :D

Posted Image

I have a quick question, what exactly is an "x" pipe? I've heard of it a couple of times, but never knew what it was. I plan on beefin' this thing up in the summer. I know it's going to be difficult to get ahold of parts, but I really want to scare some people when I pull up in a "big old boat cadillac" and then blow their doors off. Any ideas where I can get ahold of some good performance parts for it?

I'm also taking pictures tomorrow of it.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Here's a picture of an x-pipe and H pipe. The x-pipe is more free flowing than the H but the H is still a big improvement over not having any connection between the 2 sides.

xhpipes.jpg

A x-pipe setup fitted with a set of glasspacks would make this car sound awesome. I recommend the following glasspacks by Thrush.

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/products.html#Glasspack

IPB Image

That's what I tought it was, but I didn't want to say anything if I was wrong.

I'm going to get personalized licence plates on it, but I don't know what to get. My 93 has "CADYGUY" on it right now. I can fit 7 letters, numbers, or spaces on the plate. Any suggestions? Here are a few I thought of:

"CADIGUY"

"COUPDVL"

"79 CADY"

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived