CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

U.S. Air Crash

WarrenJ

Terrific landing. I just wish that other heroes like firemen, policemen, doctors, fire jumpers, aid workers, etc., received as much air time or proportionate. What I've been hearing and reading about landing options confirms what Larry said. The Hudson was the only reasonable option. And if you'll recall, it was just over 20 degrees and winds were calm. It was late in the day when the weather kicked up. I find it interesting that every news source chose to do live feeds during the following days. I guess the relatively calm weather on the day of the accident didn't provide enough drama for the media. !Anyway, it was still a fantastic landing. Sully has nerves of steel obviously.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I wonder how much simulator time he has logged to be able to manually fly this aircraft. It was my understanding that the pilot does very little in a routine flight other than take offs and landings, once its on auto pilot thats it. I may be wrong but, I don't think they manually fly these planes much, anyone know the scoop?

That is absolutely correct Mike. Once they take off, the autopilot is set and it is hands off from there. In fact, when making a CAT III (Category 3) landing, which is the lowest allowable minimum visibility (as low as 300 ft with a 100 ft ceiling), the airplane is in autoland mode. Yes, it actually lands itself.

Hand flying is boring and routine. Most pilots will not take the plane if the autopilot is inop, which is legal. They are in the sim every 6 months. The time they spend in the sims is practicing things similar to this, though I don't think they actually run this scenario. They loose engines (at altitude where they have time to recover), have fuel leaks and other simulated problems.

I spend time in the cockpit once a year per FAR's (Federal Aviation Regulations). I've also sat in on a few sim rides. One of which (just for fun) they did this exact scenario, but we where able to turn around and land (more like a controlled crash) where we took off from (SFO). Don't mind admitting I was a little puckered. Those sims are extremely realistic. I once "flew" an A320 under the golden gate bridge.

I wonder how much simulator time he has logged to be able to manually fly this aircraft. It was my understanding that the pilot does very little in a routine flight other than take offs and landings, once its on auto pilot thats it. I may be wrong but, I don't think they manually fly these planes much, anyone know the scoop?

That is absolutely correct Mike. Once they take off, the autopilot is set and it is hands off from there. In fact, when making a CAT III (Category 3) landing, which is the lowest allowable minimum visibility (as low as 300 ft with a 100 ft ceiling), the airplane is in autoland mode. Yes, it actually lands itself.

Hand flying is boring and routine. Most pilots will not take the plane if the autopilot is inop, which is legal. They are in the sim every 6 months. The time they spend in the sims is practicing things similar to this, though I don't think they actually run this scenario. They loose engines (at altitude where they have time to recover), have fuel leaks and other simulated problems.

I spend time in the cockpit once a year per FAR's (Federal Aviation Regulations). I've also sat in on a few sim rides. One of which (just for fun) they did this exact scenario, but we where able to turn around and land (more like a controlled crash) where we took off from (SFO). Don't mind admitting I was a little puckered. Those sims are extremely realistic. I once "flew" an A320 under the golden gate bridge.

Nice Ranger thanks for confirming that. All the more reason this pilot was a hero.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I thought all landings were, by definition, "controlled crashes." :) I once flew an FA-18 under the Golden Gate Bridge. The Commodore Amiga simulator, however, provided no pucker power.

Beginning in post #12 of this thread, an A320 pilot began a discussion that brought many commentaries:

http://skepchick.org/skepticsguide/index.p...ic,17499.0.html

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Sometimes the truth isn't stranger than fiction.

Here's something you should pay close attention to:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBuc...ooseamladen.jpg

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived