CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire pressure monitor sensor calibration

I have found that two of the tire pressure sensors are bad on my 2001 Deville. Due to the age, maybe the batteries have gone bad. The dealer wants over $70 for a sensor but I have found new ones on the internet for $35 plus shipping (same model and mfg as the original). My question is, when installing a new sensor, what is the procedure to calibrate it? I am assuming that means that a Tech Tool would have to be used which means going back to a dealer and they probably wouldn't be too interested in helping me if I didn't purchase the sensors from them. Or, does the term calibrate just mean using the magnet method to reset the sensor to locate the position on the vehicle.

Use a fairly strong magnet.

1) Ignition ON.

2) Press LOCK + UN-LOCK key fob buttons until the horn chirps.

3) Starting with LF tire, hold the magnet against the valve stem

for 3 or 4 seconds until the horn chirps. Then RF, then RR,

then LR. After LR, horn will chirp twice to indicate programming

is complete.

There is a timer running that allows 1 minute between wheels and

5 minutes total elapsed time.

Sensor mounting torque = 62 lb in.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Is this all that is required for a new sensor? When I see the word calibration, I assume it means something other than just telling the computer where the sensor is located on the vehicle. I just don't want to shell out a lot of money for the sensors and find that I have to go to a dealer to have them calibrate them. I have done the magnet thing myself before so that portion isn't a problem.

I don't see any "calibration" being required. If the new sensor is the OEM part number the RKE is prepared to receive the signal.

All that remains is to have the pressure sensors tell the RKE what corner they are transmitting from.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 9 months later...

1) Ignition ON.

is complete.

Took my car to Dealer couple weeks ago to have a "CKP" sensor variation re-learn done, my TPMS was telling me my right front tire was low, so I asked service tech to please add air. He did variation and came back and told me the sensor was bad on rf tire. Now I don't get reading from any of them. Tried procedure above and got horn chirp from all but rf. Also had 2 remotes programmed then.

Before it was taken to dealer I was getting read-out from all tires including rf, now no readings.

Any feedback would be gratly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody ever go thru the magnet procedure below, and not get the final two chirps from the LR? That's what I'm stuck?

1) Ignition ON.

is complete.

Took my car to Dealer couple weeks ago to have a "CKP" sensor variation re-learn done, my TPMS was telling me my right front tire was low, so I asked service tech to please add air. He did variation and came back and told me the sensor was bad on rf tire. Now I don't get reading from any of them. Tried procedure above and got horn chirp from all but rf. Also had 2 remotes programmed then.

Before it was taken to dealer I was getting read-out from all tires including rf, now no readings.

Any feedback would be gratly appreciated.

Archived