CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hall of Fame

If you have not noticed, Jan lives in Sweden. He rebuilt a car that is rare in his country, that takes guts or love or both, I am not sure. I think I speak for all of us when I say, we are impressed Jan and we enjoy our long distance friendship. I know the STS is rare in Europe from discussions with my friend Stefan in Germany. As always if you ever need me to scour the scrap yards for you, I am ready to help. Congratulations on making the Hall of Fame!

Jan's timesert summary:

I did a timesert on my previous 1993 STS, the car wasn't running like it should due to a burned exhaust valve. That's a pretty uncommon thing on the Northstar engines according to the guru. Main reasons is not having done enough WOTs. I wasn't the one to blame since I always drove that car like I've stole it, but here in Sweden most of the Caddy owners drives like ol' farts I can only think of one other with the same problem and that was Barry.

Type of repair or procedure Timeserting and replacing some valves.

Dropped Carriage? How? No

Did a head gasket/timesert with the engine in car? Yes

Did you Lift the body? How? No

Case-half seals also? No

Have a lift? Only a jack

Anyone help? Caddyinfo of course and the factory repair manual

Estimated cost? Hmm 1000$ with tools and repair manual? The valves was cheap, gaskets etc too. Timesert kit, FSM and the air ratchet (to drill with) was the expensive parts.

Special tools? New Timesert kit, pneumatic ratchet, made a simple locking device to lock the flywheel in place.

What is your mechanical experience? I've been watching my father repairing cars and MCs since the late 1970's. Drove my first car at the age of 12, have owned and repaired several cars. All of them rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive mainly with a manual transmission ( only Volvos) until I bought my first Caddy. A 1988 Eldorado in 2002.

I have a bechelor degree of science and have been working mostly behind the desk as an engineer but I've also spent a couple of years "on the floor" too.

Can a DIYer do this? YES. But if you have the space, consider dropping the cradle or lift the engine since your back will be in pain for a while afterwards..

What was the hardest part of this job? The hardest part was to time-sert the head. Straight forward but time consuming.

How many miles since you did the job? I'm not the owner of the car anymore but it is still running strong and has at least 15000 miles on the repair and perhaps 3 years.

Did you replace anything else "as long as you were there?" No. I only did paint the cooler lines behind the engine and the engine oil lines and engine oil cooler. Well I replaced the rear mufflers too.

What do you regret doing or not doing? Nothing.

How is your Cadillac running now? I have never had a car running that good before...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If you have not noticed, Jan lives in Sweden. He rebuilt a car that is rare in his country, that takes guts or love or both, I am not sure. I think I speak for all of us when I say, we are impressed Jan and we enjoy our long distance friendship. I know the STS is rare in Europe from discussions with my friend Stefan in Germany. As always if you ever need me to scour the scrap yards for you, I am ready to help. Congratulations on making the Hall of Fame!

Jan's timesert summary:

I did a timesert on my previous 1993 STS, the car wasn't running like it should due to a burned exhaust valve. That's a pretty uncommon thing on the Northstar engines according to the guru. Main reasons is not having done enough WOTs. I wasn't the one to blame since I always drove that car like I've stole it, but here in Sweden most of the Caddy owners drives like ol' farts I can only think of one other with the same problem and that was Barry.

Type of repair or procedure Timeserting and replacing some valves.

Dropped Carriage? How? No

Did a head gasket/timesert with the engine in car? Yes

Did you Lift the body? How? No

Case-half seals also? No

Have a lift? Only a jack

Anyone help? Caddyinfo of course and the factory repair manual

Estimated cost? Hmm 1000$ with tools and repair manual? The valves was cheap, gaskets etc too. Timesert kit, FSM and the air ratchet (to drill with) was the expensive parts.

Special tools? New Timesert kit, pneumatic ratchet, made a simple locking device to lock the flywheel in place.

What is your mechanical experience? I've been watching my father repairing cars and MCs since the late 1970's. Drove my first car at the age of 12, have owned and repaired several cars. All of them rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive mainly with a manual transmission ( only Volvos) until I bought my first Caddy. A 1988 Eldorado in 2002.

I have a bechelor degree of science and have been working mostly behind the desk as an engineer but I've also spent a couple of years "on the floor" too.

Can a DIYer do this? YES. But if you have the space, consider dropping the cradle or lift the engine since your back will be in pain for a while afterwards..

What was the hardest part of this job? The hardest part was to time-sert the head. Straight forward but time consuming.

How many miles since you did the job? I'm not the owner of the car anymore but it is still running strong and has at least 15000 miles on the repair and perhaps 3 years.

Did you replace anything else "as long as you were there?" No. I only did paint the cooler lines behind the engine and the engine oil lines and engine oil cooler. Well I replaced the rear mufflers too.

What do you regret doing or not doing? Nothing.

How is your Cadillac running now? I have never had a car running that good before...

Thank you very much :grouphug: I've been around here since 2002 or so and learned so much from this forum! The STS has never been a success over here mostly because of the unjust taxes and evil tongues speaking about American quality as if it was non-existent. My STS for instance costed about twice as much new as it did in the states. The service departments are lousy to say the least

The best year in the 1990s I believe that 28 were sold in Sweden...I can't say how many times people think I'm nuts driving an American car with "the lousy quality, thirsty engines, slow, can't keep itself on the road except from when driving in a straight line etc etc". I've been driving Volvos for about 9 years and 150000 miles and Cadillac for about 7 years and 150000 miles too.

I've almost forgotten about welding rust, fixing annoying electrical faults, shifting with stick, noise, rough running engines etc. There is absolutely no comparison between Volvo and Cadillac whatsoever. The funny thing is that people here in Sweden just now everything there is to know about American cars when most of the same people never even had a ride in one.. The same thing with the east-Germans and their Trabant :P

Archived