CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stunning Aircraft Video

[VIDEO 1:05]

Competition pilot loses right wing . . . .

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBuc...=Pilotomago.flv

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The whole country may be flying on one wing next year.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I really thought that was an entirely apolitical post. Guess not.

Well, was he talented or lucky? I'll not be asking whether he was Republican or Democrat. :D

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I would venture that a whole lot of flying skill make that luck possible.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I would venture that a whole lot of flying skill make that luck possible.

My thought exactly. It gives more meaning to the saying that a successful landing is nothing more than a controlled crash. :D

Posted Image

My hats off to him.

He was cool and level headed...did not panic... took a few seconds while still at some altitude to see how much and what kind of control he had... then was VERY SKILLFUL in landing it.

At least that is the way I see it.

Being a former light plane pilot, but with pretty limited hours... I know I could never come ANYWHERE CLOSE to doing that.

HE IS GOOD. :D:D

Posted Image

It seemed to me that he figured very quickly that he could keep the plane flying with full throttle, and that he could control altitude with throttle, then by experimentation he found how much control he had with the flaps. I doubt that he had any control with the rudder or elevators, but I didn't ask him.

The fact that it was a stunt plane meant that it had the power to hold the plane at altitude with the throttle, and that the landing gear had the strength, travel and damping to provide a perfectly controlled belly-flop landing.

But, if it was a stunt airplane, why did the wing sweep back and fall away while he was doing a simple vertical roll? It had to be a mechanical failure of the wing attachment mechanism.

Youse guys are over-analyzing this stuff. He landed the plane for one simple reason: he didn't have a parachute. It's simple. ;)

Posted Image

. . . then by experimentation he found how much control he had with the flaps.

BUT, if I WAS gonna over analyze it I would have said "flap" as opposed to "flaps." :D :D :D

Posted Image

Do competition planes have "voice recorders?" I would love to have heard his words!

Thankfully, I'm quite certain they don't have "excrement-in-the-pants recorders." :D :D :D

Posted Image

After watching the video twice, I get this sinking feeling in my gut that there's something fake about that video. As a photographer I'm keenly sensitive and aware of proportions and for some reason, my brain is telling me that at least some parts of that video are not in the right proportions. Something fishy is going on. <_<

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

• 2 weeks later...

That was amazing, I have to direct Britt to this, he is involved with Aviation.

I wish they interviewed the pilot, I would have liked to see his reaction..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I really thought that was an entirely apolitical post. Guess not.

Well, was he talented or lucky? I'll not be asking whether he was Republican or Democrat. :D

That was definately a Republican, :lol: the Dem yelled RUN.... :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If you google this video you'll find a few sites where people comment on the video. Most agree, it is a fake video, albeit a good one. I knew my eyes were not lying to me... :lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

What was it, an RC model plane with the pilot getting out of a real plane (with the right wing conveniently obscured) at the end?

The one thing that puzzled me most was that the engine alone could maintain altitude with no help from the airfoils. This is very unusual for a one-engine plane, even a stunt plane. The other thing that struck me was the way it planted on the landing gear -- this takes mighty structure and very precise damping. Then, of course, thee is the question about how a wing could come off of a real airplane; the FAA would have heads rolling all over Cincinnati for something like that.

Well, they had me for awhile.

I've heard that it is a doctored video. The part just before the landing appears a little iffy. One would think that if it where real, it would have made national news.

Two things tipped me off. One, proportions seemed wrong for camera lens perspective. Study photogrammetry long enough and your eyes will recognize when something just doesn't "fit". The other had to do with sound. At first, the plane sounds like a plane. Suddenly, the sound changes and it sounds like an RC plane. Full throated engine one minute, puttzy little RC engine the next minute.

Also, chatter on the Internet says it was a commercial for a line of clothes but people seem to agree it was a very good fake, but nonetheless fake.

The video is bugged with "elRellano.com" You can find that here:

http://www.elrellano.com/videos_online/259...jor-piloto.html

The Spanish text reads, "Podríamos considerarlo como el mejor piloto de aviones del mundo. Fijaros lo que le ocurre en pleno vuelo... ¡se queda sin un ala! Pese a todo, va a hacer algo increíble. Tan increíble que huele a fake desde lejos, pero bueno... mola el video. (Gracias Carlos)."

Google translates that as, "We could consider it as the best pilot of aircraft in the world. Notice what happens in mid-flight ... Is left without a wing! Despite all it will do something incredible. So incredible that smell a fake from a distance, but well ... cool video. (Thanks Carlos)."

Now to find out who Carlos is . . . and where he got the video.

Posted Image

I used the video in an email as a metaphor: you can't fly very well with just the left wing, but it may not be the end of the world.

I used the video in an email as a metaphor: you can't fly very well with just the left wing, but it may not be the end of the world.

Good thing for the sake of your metaphor he didn't lose the opposite wing! :D

Posted Image

Archived