CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

well, not timesert.. i'm using this kit from ebay. one of the directions is to remove the bushings (not drill through them.. remove them) from the block to be replaced later. i've tried twisting one of them off with a pipe wrench and i felt it start to bend. is there a puller or another tool for this or should i just drill through and try and find a replacement? something tells me having these on is pretty important.....

thanks in advance ;)

I assume you are talking about the guide pins? These are from another forum. I like the last one best.

Install a bolt into the pin. Clamp Vise Grips around it and try to turn the pin out using the bolt head.

I use a easy out. It has left handed threads. If you use a regular bolt turn it clockwise.

use a drill bit or piece of rod a few thousands under the ID. than clamp onto the pin with a visegrip. use a flat bladed screwdriver under the visegrip to carefully pry up. its all about leverage. don't nick your block surface if you can help it.

If you have access to a mig welder, this is how I do it. VERY carefully, with the entire block covered/taped up, all oil drainbacks plugged, weld short pieces of 1/2" threaded rod inside the alignment pins. Place a short piece of pipe that is taller than the alignment pins (3/4" diameter roughly, depends on what you have available) over the threaded rod, so the threaded rod sticks out approx. a 1/2 inch over the top of the pipe. place a large washer with a 1/2" hole over the pipe and threaded rod. This is now an "alignment pin puller." use a 1/2 inch nut and a 3/4" wrench and just tighten the nut. The pin pulls out with no hesitations, and no damage to the block. It's quick and painless- just make sure your welding sparks don't get in the cylinders, oil passages, or coolant passages.

It might take a few minutes to set up, but the pins come out without chisels, easy-outs, or vise-grips. They're in there pretty tight sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...
I assume you are talking about the guide pins? These are from another forum. I like the last one best.

Install a bolt into the pin. Clamp Vise Grips around it and try to turn the pin out using the bolt head.

I use a easy out. It has left handed threads. If you use a regular bolt turn it clockwise.

use a drill bit or piece of rod a few thousands under the ID. than clamp onto the pin with a visegrip. use a flat bladed screwdriver under the visegrip to carefully pry up. its all about leverage. don't nick your block surface if you can help it.

If you have access to a mig welder, this is how I do it. VERY carefully, with the entire block covered/taped up, all oil drainbacks plugged, weld short pieces of 1/2" threaded rod inside the alignment pins. Place a short piece of pipe that is taller than the alignment pins (3/4" diameter roughly, depends on what you have available) over the threaded rod, so the threaded rod sticks out approx. a 1/2 inch over the top of the pipe. place a large washer with a 1/2" hole over the pipe and threaded rod. This is now an "alignment pin puller." use a 1/2 inch nut and a 3/4" wrench and just tighten the nut. The pin pulls out with no hesitations, and no damage to the block. It's quick and painless- just make sure your welding sparks don't get in the cylinders, oil passages, or coolant passages.

It might take a few minutes to set up, but the pins come out without chisels, easy-outs, or vise-grips. They're in there pretty tight sometimes.

helpful to an extent.. at least i knew that they had to come out :o

i ended up getting a drill bit just smaller than the pin's OD and drilled until they were just about no more (i think it was a 19/32 but a 5/8 probably woulda been perfect..). A couple of them just spun out with the bit and a couple needed a small chisel to break a straight line down them and then i bent them in and pulled em. the new guide pins still fit snugly. i wouldn't recommend trying to pry them out if you aren't trying to leave knicks in the block surface.. they are REALLY in there and i kept slipping with no results to speak of. but the whoooolllle time i wished i had a welder.. i love that puller idea :)

thanks for the help

• 2 months later...

helpful to an extent.. at least i knew that they had to come out :o

i ended up getting a drill bit just smaller than the pin's OD and drilled until they were just about no more (i think it was a 19/32 but a 5/8 probably woulda been perfect..). A couple of them just spun out with the bit and a couple needed a small chisel to break a straight line down them and then i bent them in and pulled em. the new guide pins still fit snugly. i wouldn't recommend trying to pry them out if you aren't trying to leave knicks in the block surface.. they are REALLY in there and i kept slipping with no results to speak of. but the whoooolllle time i wished i had a welder.. i love that puller idea :)

thanks for the help

Of this...nothing good shall come

Archived