CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I've got one of those 104 piece Craftsman kits, and the screwdriver bits are starting to get a little rusty looking, and some of my most used sockets are dirty on the inside. I'd like to take all the tools out of the case and clean them and wipe down the case before I put the tools back in.

PA110017.jpg

What's a good way to clean tools? Any special techniques for ratchets or other tools?

I've also got a jack that's only a couple months old, and I'd like to keep it clean and maintained properly, does anyone have any tips or techniques for that? I've seen old Snap On jacks for sale on Craigslist, and the wheels and cradle are always rusted and I'd like to prevent that if possible.

Any other tool care/cleaning tips and techniques?

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Steel wool and then wipe 'em down with an oil rag should do it. As for the jack, it should not rust if the paint doesn't chip. Wheels are another thing. If they are steel like mine, rolling them on concrete is going to scrape any paint off and they will rust.

Steel wool is safe for the tool finish?

What kind of oil on the rag? Penetrating oil like PB Blaster, or something else?

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

:bump:

The book I just got covers the whole "righty tighty, lefty loosey" tip but doesn't cover how to clean tools. All it says is clean your tools before you put them away. I've tried google but couldn't find much.

If anyone has some techniques and tips they'd like to share I'd appreciate it.

Also, what kind of oil on the rag?

Thanks guys.

Cheers!

A fine steel wool should take off any oxidation without hurting anything. Anykind of oil would prevent rust. Even drain oil from the crankcase.

Thanks Ranger

Cheers!

Is this a humid environment issue? I don't think I have ever seen my tools rust like that.

Well the sockets are just dirty, but the screwdriver bits have surface rust on them. It can get humid here, like 80% or more sometimes. I think they might have gotten a light misting of blowing snow last winter when I was outside doing my brake lines. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

I have had good luck, down thru the years, by lightly spraying my tools with WD-40.

I have also used a rag with clean engine oil on it to wipe them down.

That explains why some people's tools smell like they just did an oil change :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys. :grouphug:

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

Has anyone bought this type of sling shot before that holds the amo in the handle? http://www.liangdianup.com/sporting_1.htm

this company has free shipping to anywhere in the world and they guarantee delivery to Australia. I heard that sling shots

are ok to sell in Australia as long as you say they are being used to toss bait in the water when you go fishing, any truth

to thatone?

Has anyone bought this type of sling shot before that holds the amo in the handle? http://www.liangdianup.com/sporting_1.htm

this company has free shipping to anywhere in the world and they guarantee delivery to Australia. I heard that sling shots

are ok to sell in Australia as long as you say they are being used to toss bait in the water when you go fishing, any truth

to thatone?

What does this have to do with discussing Cadillacs and cleaning tools?

You do realize that you are posting in a Cadillac discussion group not a slingshot discussion group?

Posted Image

Archived