CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2009 CTS-V Performance reports

One of the first 3rd party reports published for the 2009 CTS-V performance is by Edmund's Inside Line.

0-60 mph in 4.3s

Quartermile in 12.5 sec at 115.3 mph.

They used a measurement gadget that does NOT automatically add rollout; the 4.3s is WITH rollout. WITH rollout is similar to a quartermile track result.

Cadillac projected 0-60mph in 3.9sec and quartermile in 12 sec at 118. It will be interesting to hear other test results. Inside Line tested a manual transmission car. I predict the automatics will test as quicker for this model.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Looks like the embargo on driving impressions is slip sliding away.

Popular Mechanics covers the CTS-V

The Bottom Line

Size-wise, the CTS-V lines up with the $84,725, 500-hp BMW M5, but Cadillac claims that it's closer in price to the smaller, 414-hp BMW M3 sedan that runs $56,125. At close to 60 grand, the CTS-V represents an incredible performance bargain—it's one of the fastest sedans on the market.

But it's not just about cheap speed. There's a polish to the car that wasn't included in the old version—it's packed on both muscle and manners in equal measures. Expect to see a CTS-V version of both the upcoming CTS Coupe and Cadillac STS Sport Wagon.

Bruce

Jalopnik first drive impressions

Think of it as a ZR1 that you can drive people around in, that looks way classier and that you’ll actually be able to push to its limits, and you won’t be far off. Cadillac inevitably compares it to cars like the BMW M5 and Mercedes E63 AMG, but starting at “around $60,000” it’s considerably cheaper; with a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds it’s considerably faster and it’s also considerably more involving.

Bruce

Top Speed's impressions.

Overall this is definitely making a good case for TopSeed Car of the Year. The CTS-V was a great surprise for all of the staff. Hopefully this is a direction that Cadillac will keep following in the future, finally getting into BMW territory via the super performance. Way to go Cadillac.

Bruce

Left Lane News:

Why you would buy it:

Expected to hit market in the high $60,000s, it’s a bargain that can transport five comfortably and still run on track day at your local racetrack.

Why you wouldn’t:

You eschew any type of excitement in your life.

Pricing has yet to be determined for the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Bruce

GMC2008082736687_PV.jpg

And for those who want to know how the head gaskets are:

GMC2008071062427_PV.jpg

2009 LSA 6.2L V-8 SC (LSA) Cylinder Head Gasket detail of 7 layer composition for Cadillac CTS-V.

Bruce

Motor Trend's first report is in... and they were able to come very close to Cadillac's numbers for the auto, hitting 12.3sec at 117.5 mph.

Both cars cross the 60-mph mark in 4.1 sec, but taller gearing in the manual's first three gears blunts its quarter mile slightly (12.4 sec at 117.1 mph versus the automatic's 12.3 at 117.5). Either transmission performs comfortably ahead of the M5 (4.5, 12.5@114.9) and E63 AMG (4.3, 12.7@113.0), but if you demand autobahn supremacy, opt for the manual. It tops out at a reported 193 mph in sixth, while the automatic is limited to 175 to protect the transmission.

Bruce

Driving report from thecarconnection.com

Just one hot lap with Chris Barube, the lead development engineer of the CTS-V, and I was seeing Cadillac’s completely redesigned sport sedan in a new light.

No measured performance numbers; driving impressions and discussion.

Bruce

autoblog.com's report on the CTS-V first drive

Production of the new CTS-V starts in October and Cadillac hasn't finalized pricing yet. We're told to expect a base price of about $60,000 with only a handful of options, but the only option you really need are those Recaro seats. That's more than $20,000 less than a BMW M5 or a Mercedes-Benz AMG E63 – and the Cadillac is faster than both. For those who crave the supercharged grunt of a ZR1 but regularly need space for more than one passenger, the 2009 CTS-V will get you shockingly close in a remarkably sophisticated package that's a bargain in this segment.

Bruce

Car & Driver managed 0-60 mph in 4.3 sec and the quarter mile in 12.6 sec at 116 mph. Test Report sheet.

THE VERDICT: For its next trick, Cadillac delivers a no-excuses world-class car at a price that almost seems like a bargain.

We couldn’t duplicate Cadillac’s claim of 3.9 seconds to 60 mph with our manual test car (we managed 4.3 seconds), but we did get all the way down to 4.0 seconds in just a couple of runs with a six-speed-automatic version, so it’s likely that the slushbox could fulfill the claim.

Bruce

Consumer Reports weighs in:

CR's take: The new CTS-V certainly won¹t disappoint, with its increased power (the old CTS-V put out just 400 hp), better interior, and improved ride. It takes the things that we liked in the base car and adds in power and aggressiveness.

Bruce

Ward's Auto has an info piece on the CTS-V

WHITE PLAINS, NY – General Motors Corp. sets late October for Job One of the ’09 Cadillac CTS-V.

Cadillac bills the CTS-V as the fastest sedan for the money in the U.S. Volume targets have not been revealed, but John F. Howell, product director, says the plant could make as many as 8,000 CTS-Vs if demand develops.

Half of CTS-V sales will be incremental to the brand, Howell predicts.

Interesting. Cadillac is thinking that the CTS-V by virtue of absolutely world class performance will bring in people that would not normally visit a Cadillac dealer. The CTS-V does seem like that kind of car, and it is certainly priced attractively if it comes in under $60K base.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

SearchChicago (Sun Times) gets a test drive of the CTS-V and posts it here.

My favorite part:

But to get a real sense of what the CTS-V could do, I spent some time in the passenger seat with lead development engineer Chris Berube behind the wheel. We flew around the track, squealing around corners and hitting speeds around 140 mph. We had a couple of rear-end sliding moments but no lack of control. Then again, Berube knew what he was doing and had spent countless hours behind the wheel of this car – on and off the track. It was a beautiful thing to see, actually. A man and his creation pushing the limits of what a midsize luxury sedan can do.

When the Lead Development Engineer for your vehicle can also DRIVE the car well around a race track, that's golden. An enthusiast has much more insight as to what WORKS in a CTS-V than someone who is not emotionally involved with the vehicle. It sounds like the CTS-V is in good hands.

Bruce

LA Times loves the CTS-V.

My favorite quote:

This is the fierce, brain-baking sound of a super-sports car. What's interesting to me is that, at some point, Cadillac development engineers were weighing the sound quality of the engine — how raw do we want it, how refined? — and decided, "Ah, what the hell, let's make it sound psychotic." Good choice.

Bruce

via Streetfire.net, Garage 419 asks the pressing question: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V or Corvette ZR1?

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...
In an effort to duplicate the sensation of tromping on the accelerator of the new Cadillac CTS-V, you could set your hair on fire and throw yourself from the roof of a 20-story building. Yep, it's that exhilarating.

Washington Times article

Bruce

Detroit News review of the 2009 CTS-V. This looks like a reprint or freshening of the LA Times review, but I still love this line:

Go ahead, park the CTS-V next to a BMW M3. The BMW looks like it should be delivering dairy products. The CTS-V's piano-black interior is lovely, the switchgear is distinctive, the vibe is late-night, supper-club cool.

Remember when Cadillacs were kind of laughable and clumsy? Yeah, me neither.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Motor Trend covers pricing, and repeat of performance numbers.

According to our recent figures, the 2009 CTS-V outperforms the pair of Bavarian rockets to 60 mph (4.1 sec) and in the quarter mile (12.3 @ 117.5 mph). Based on these numbers, the torque monster E63 (4.3 sec, 12.7 @ 113.0 mph) and canyon carving M5 (4.4, 12.5 @ 113.0 mph) would definitely find it hard to keep up with the latest Corvette-powered Caddy on any road or circuit-- especially the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

Bruce

Winding Road issue 39 has a full review (very positive) on the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V.

"... say hello to the best sports sedan that America has ever built."

Ok, kind of a backhanded compliment, but in the article they mention that the non-American sports sedan manufacturers should be concerned as well.

Bruce

Archived