CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi All,

I Just purchased a 2003 CTS with 89K. I just spit out a P0700 and P0762 code when read by a tranny shop. The mechanic was not too excited about it and clear it. It hasn't reappeared but I'm wondering what does it mean and what may await with the transmission. Any advise?

Thanks

I am sure that Bruce will pop in, but he just had a control module changed. I think his lost gears, are you losing any gears, OD, or starting in second?

P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction

P0762 - Shift Solenoid C Stuck On

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks for the reply,

No not yet. Still shifting and going through the gears ok. Light was/is intermittent. Same 2 codes each time. Only thing noticed is at about 42 mph a Jerk,Knock which I presume was the over drive or torque converter kicking in. Any idea of the cost?

I am sure that Bruce will pop in, but he just had a control module changed. I think his lost gears, are you losing any gears, OD, or starting in second?

Thanks for the reply,

No not yet. Still shifting and going through the gears ok. Light was/is intermittent. Same 2 codes each time. Only thing noticed is at about 42 mph a Jerk,Knock which I presume was the over drive or torque converter kicking in. Any idea of the cost?

Dirty fluid may contribute to a sticking solenoid.

Just curious, has the transmission fluid been changed? If not, you may benefit in changing it and the "filters" now.

It should have been changed @ 50,000 miles. What does your DIC indicate in remaining transmission fluid life?

Be aware that some unscrupulous people have been known to just reset the fluid life indicator without actually changing the fluid.

Remember NEVER LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO A TRANSMISSION FLUSH!!

89,000 is not a lot of miles for these transmissions.

Unless it has been abused, your transmission should be good for many more miles.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

That is great advice Britt.

Also, clean your positive and negative battery connections maybe you are getting a false code from a bad connection

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Also, clean your positive and negative battery connections maybe you are getting a false code from a bad connection

Awww, you're making me blush. B)

I have always been from the "eliminate the easy/cheap stuff first" crowd.

Britt

Britt

Britt

I start at the bottom of the food chain also, it is more time consuming but its a process of elimination. That is the reason, why I react badly, to members who immediately suggest head gasket as a cause first when someone has an overheating condition.

I was struct with how much mileage this 03 has on it, but I guess its not extreme. I don't recall if the 03 came out early, but if this car is in service 5 years, that is 18K per year at 90K miles. I have not seen these codes before, and they now have a C solenoid. The fluid is good for 100K, maybe like you say, the fluid is at its end. Renewed conditioners and filters may help. When I was a kid, tranny fluid often caused problems, it got sort like shallac and gummy

Britt

I start at the bottom of the food chain also, it is more time consuming but its a process of elimination. That is the reason, why I react badly, to members who immediately suggest head gasket as a cause first when someone has an overheating condition.

I was struct with how much mileage this 03 has on it, but I guess its not extreme. I don't recall if the 03 came out early, but if this car is in service 5 years, that is 18K per year at 90K miles. I have not seen these codes before, and they now have a C solenoid. The fluid is good for 100K, maybe like you say, the fluid is at its end. Renewed conditioners and filters may help. When I was a kid, tranny fluid often caused problems, it got sort like shallac and gummy

Thanks all for the replies.

When we first got the car first night home it would not start the next morning without a jump. I was told a cell went bad and that it caused the check engine light to come on. The battery was alledgedly replaced and no problem starting since. Don't know if its a new battery or recharged old one but it is working and the Info button states 13.7 voltage. The code came in as Solenoid C stuck open. I checked a diagram and saw a solonoid A, B, and a C. But it could be Solenoid C the c may stand for curcit and not C. Other than the ocassional jolt at about 42 mph it works fine. Took it to a transmission place for a test (no Check engine light on problem supposedly fixed) he took it through it paces without a problem. He even commented how good the engine and tranny felt. He stops to turn around and then out of the blue the check engine light appeared. He took it back to his shop checked for code and got the P0700 and P0762. He cleared it and it was off for about 220 miles and reappeared out of the blue again. Can't find a cause relation in that it ran well and just appeared.

The Trans fluid says 100% and Oil 95%. I don't know maybe I'll try Fluid change first. What's the problem with a Transmission Flush?

Ronate12

DTC P0700

Circuit Description

This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) indicates that an emissions related transmission fault has occurred. The transmission control module (TCM) has no direct control of the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL), but if a transmission fault occurs that is emissions related, the MIL must illuminate. The TCM transmits a MIL request signal over the CAN bus to the ECM and the ECM will turn ON the MIL. This allows the MIL to illuminate, even though the fault was detected by the TCM. If a TCM MIL request signal is received by the ECM, P0700 will set.

Conditions for Running the DTC

Tested continuously

Conditions for Setting the DTC

An emission related transmission DTC has been stored by the TCM.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

* The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.

* The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

* The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 6 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

* A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

* A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

* Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

DTC P0762

Object Number: 798836 Size: SF

Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Circuit Description

The 4-5 shift solenoid (SS) valve is a normally-closed exhaust valve. When the 1-2 and the 2-3 SS valves are both OFF, the 4-5 SS valve turns OFF to shift the transmission into 5th gear. When either of the other two shift solenoids are ON, the 4-5 SS turn OFF in order to enable powertrain braking. The 4-5 SS valve is attached to the control valve body, within the transmission.

The TCM monitors the actual gear ratio, and compares the actual gear ratio with the commanded gear ratio. DTC P0762 sets under two conditions:

* A stuck ON 4-5 SS valve

* A stuck ON 4-5 shift valve

If the TCM detects a 1-2-3-4-4 shift pattern, then DTC P0762 sets. DTC P0762 is a type B DTC.

Conditions for Running the DTC

* No throttle system DTCs P1791 or P1795.

* No OSS DTCs P0722 or P0723.

* No ISS DTCs P0716 or P0717.

* No IMS DTCs P1815, P1818, P1820, P1822, P1823, P1825 or P1826.

* No shift solenoid electrical DTCs P1842, P1843, P1845, P1847, P1864, or P1865.

* No TCC performance DTC P0742.

* No engine delivered torque signal DTC P1779.

* The ignition voltage is 8-18 volts.

* The engine run time is greater than 5 seconds.

* The IMS indicates D2, D3,D4, or D5.

* The transmission fluid temperature is 20-130°C (68-266°F).

* The accelerator pedal position (APP) is greater than 10 percent.

* The input shaft speed is 200-6,800 RPM.

* The output shaft speed is greater than 100 RPM.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The following conditions must occur twice during the same trip:

* The TCM has commanded either 2nd or 3rd gear for 4 seconds or greater.

* The TCM commands 5th gear.

* The engine torque is 36-350 N·m (27-258 lb ft).

* The resulting gear ratio is 0.98:1-1.03:1 for 3.5 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

* The TCM requests the ECM to illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.

* The TCM turns off the pressure control solenoid. When the pressure control solenoid is off, line pressure is at maximum and updates to the transmission adaptive pressure (TAP) memory cells are discontinued.

* The TCM inhibits 5th gear.

* At the time of the first failure, the TCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The TCM stores this information as a Failure Record.

* At the time of the second failure, the ECM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The ECM stores this information as a Freeze Frame.

* The TCM stores DTC P0762 in TCM history.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

* The ECM turns OFF the MIL after the sixth consecutive drive trip in which the TCM does not send a MIL illumination request.

* A scan tool can clear the DTC.

* The TCM clears the DTC from TCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without a non emission related diagnostic fault occurring.

* The TCM cancels the DTC default actions when the ignition is OFF long enough in order to power down the TCM.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Here is what our old Guru (A GM powertrain engineer) had to say about transmission flushes.

"Transmission Flushing - Good or bad?

Never, ever flush a transmission. There is no "safe" way to flush a transmission unless you own the flush machine and control it yourself.

Flushing a transmission has several pitfalls...

The most obvious is that the last vehicle hooked up to that flushing machine probably was on it's last leg and was generating tons of debris. Most owners, when the transmission starts to act up, rush to get a "flush" in the fervent hope that it will cure the problem. So... flush machines, by definition, see the worst of the worst. If the lines aren't cleaned, hooked up improperly, oil is reused or recycled, etc....then you are screwed as your transmission gets the dose of debris from the last transmission . No matter how good the intentions of the shop, one simple mistake and your transmission gets the debris.

Flushing is supposed to negate the need for removing the pan, cleaning the debris and replacing the filter... BS. There is considerable debris coating the inside of the transmission pan with miles as anyone who has done this can attest. That is part of the maintenance, removing the pan, cleaning the screens and replacing the filter and cleaning the pan.

All that debris in the pan is laying around in areas where there is little oil flow by definition... it tends to settle in the areas where the oil is quiet and just lies there not hurting anything.... until the "flush" stirs it up and circulates it thru the transmission. What a concept...

Reverse flush????? What logic makes anyone think that it is a good idea to reverse the oil flow path in a reverse flush and flush sediment and debris into areas that are normally protected by filters, etc...???? Stupid idea. Period. No other way to describe it.

"Transmission flush" machines are money makers for the shops and dealerships because they are quick and easy and they can actually charge more money for it under the guise of it being "better" for the transmission... when it is really a detriment.... suckers are born every day...

Read the factory service manuals and point out the place where a transmission "flush" is recommended.

So what if all the oil cannot be removed. A "flush" doesn't remove it all either.

If you really really want to replace as much oil as possible in the transmission, drain the pan, service it by removing/cleaning/changing the filter and reassemble. Refill the transmission with fresh fluid. Disconnect one of the cooler lines at the radiator, put it into a bucket and start the engine. Let the transmission oil pump purge the old oil into the bucket so that nothing is subjected to abnormal oil flow. Start pouring oil into the transmission to keep it full while the idling engine/transmission oil pump purges the fluid thru the system. Easy and quick and gets ALL the fluid out... and eliminates any risk of hooking up to a "flush machine".

I know this is about 4.1/4.5/4.9 engines but be aware that on the Northstar engines/4T80E transmissions there is a hidden drain plug for the transmission side cover that requires that the bottom pan be removed to drain the side cover oil storage area. The idea of flushing a 4T80E is even more ludicrous than a 4T60 transmission for this reason.

The 4T60 and 4T80 transmissions are similar in that both store oil in the side cover...but they do it differently. The 4T60 transmission with the 4.x engines stores oil in the side cover only when HOT. There is a bimetal thermostatic valve that closes causing side cover oil to be trapped behind a weir or dam. So, change the oil in a 4T60 transmission when it is cold to get the most oil out... The 4T80 transmission is a dry sump unit that ALWAYS stores it's oil in the side cover. There is a scavenge pump that scavenges the oil from the bottom pan to the side cover all the time. That is why there is a hidden drain plug underneath the bottom pan to drain the side cover when the pan is off for service.

FORGET THE IDEA OF FLUSHING YOUR TRANSMISSIONS. Normal transmission maintenance is a good idea. Drop the bottom pan, change the filter and clean everything up and refill the transmission with fresh fluid. Do the cooler line/bucket purge if you are really fastidious about changing all the fluid... but... DO NOT hook your transmission up to a flush machine.

Really now, would you get a blood transfusion from an unknown source that is reusing needles... about the same thing if you think about it. A flush will do absolutely nothing more than a good drain and refill will accomplish... and potentially a lot of harm. Do not take the risk. Just because some have had good experiences (or the lack of a bad experience) with a flush does NOT mean that they will always go good."

Well I guess I won't ever do that :D . Should I have the solenoids replaced or just change the fluid and filter and reset the DTC? This is an emissions error correct? Car runs good and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks again for all the responses. You're all great! :nopicssmiley:

I would start with the fluid and filters and clear the codes and see what happens. Well, this is a P code, if you have a state inspection, you would fail on a P code. Its not really an emissions code, although the state might think of it as one.

Archived