CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What Anti-Virus Do You Use

... What do I do with Avast? Just shut it off and leave it for future use if needed or uninstall it?
Never run two virus programs at once. Always un-install one before installing the other.

When you have two anti-virus programs running at the same time that do real-time file checking during access or input on the IP data stream, they can get in a near-endless loop, where one is repeatedly checking the other whenever either accesses the file, the data stream, or the other anti-virus program files. The result is that the computer becomes unresponsive, taking seconds or even minutes to respond to each keystroke or mouse click. If this happens to you, go to safe mode and uninstall one or both virus checkers and start again, installing only one of them.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I just heard back from my buddy that tested every antivirus he could find against 16,000 different viruses. He unfortunately doesn't have the results anymore. (this was two or three years ago) I do remember that Norton was near the bottom, AVG was in the middle which surprised me because it was the one I used and still use. Kaspersky and AntiVir were near the top. Sorry I can't be of more help, I've tried google and the major web archives as well.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I just did a metasearch on "anti-virus reviews" and turned up this:

</a>

WARNING -- I also turned up "http://2Fanti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com" which Firefox instantly rejected as a virus-injecting web site.

I've found that searches and "free scans" for viruses and spyware are a risky business. Many sites of this type will always find viruses and/or spyware that you must buy the product to remove -- and you find out from your existing virus software that the product itself is spyware or a Trojan horse.

No offense, but I would be suspicious of any recommendation that says that any of the top names does not protect well against viruses.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

No offense, but I would be suspicious of any recommendation that says that any of the top names does not protect well against viruses.

That's perfectly fine, I don't really expect you to run out and switch just because of something that a random stranger says. :lol: I wish I could find his results to back up what I'm saying though. I'm not saying Norton doesn't protect your computer, I'm just saying that there's better options out there, that will protect you against more threats, and some of them are free.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I'm not saying Norton doesn't protect your computer, I'm just saying that there's better options out there, that will protect you against more threats, and some of them are free.

Yeah, that's what the review at the link I gave in post #48. Some of the big boys are figuring out that the money is in the IT departments of organizations but the IT loyalty is with the individual users, and they are making the product (or at least updates) free to individuals. Also, there's f-prot, which I use on my Linux machines. Norton got their start with individuals and that is their roots, and they treat us like cash cows, not their loyalty base for other cash cows.

I liked it when I had it and didn't seem to have any problems like I have now. What I found was "updates" for 7.5, but not the free version itself. How would you send it and how would I down load it? Remember I am on dial up and not nearly as computer literate as you guys. Much of this thread is Greek to me.

EDIT:

Leaving work. Will check back when I get home.

LOL Well you have a point there Larry. And I would certainly call you Sir, instead of Larry, if I knew your last name. I have a suspicion that you are deserving of that title. I'll send you the program via snail mail if you'd like. Just let me know. The file is 21mb... more exactly 21.7mb. Let me know. We can also go through BBF if that would make you more comfortable.

Got the CD today Regis. Many thanks. I'll uninstall Avast tonight and install AVG again when I get home tonight. Will it be faster now that it is on a CD? I assume I'll still get the grey box warning when there is an update?

I liked it when I had it and didn't seem to have any problems like I have now. What I found was "updates" for 7.5, but not the free version itself. How would you send it and how would I down load it? Remember I am on dial up and not nearly as computer literate as you guys. Much of this thread is Greek to me.

EDIT:

Leaving work. Will check back when I get home.

LOL Well you have a point there Larry. And I would certainly call you Sir, instead of Larry, if I knew your last name. I have a suspicion that you are deserving of that title. I'll send you the program via snail mail if you'd like. Just let me know. The file is 21mb... more exactly 21.7mb. Let me know. We can also go through BBF if that would make you more comfortable.

Got the CD today Regis. Many thanks. I'll uninstall Avast tonight and install AVG again when I get home tonight. Will it be faster now that it is on a CD? I assume I'll still get the grey box warning when there is an update?

It'll certainly load much faster from a CD. I just realized that I sent you 7.5 version 472 in stead of version 524 so you'll have to download some updates for it. See how it goes. If the updates are far too large then I can resend you the final version. When I have to download large files on my father's dial-up connection, I just disable the screen saver, start the download, and go do something else for awhile. Usually we make a few Manhattans and the time just flies by. Let me know. By the way, be patient while updating. Sometimes it can take 30 seconds to establish a connection with the server and also another 30 sec to initiate the update once the file is downloaded.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Found AVG 7.5 online and downloaded it. 2 hrs and 4 Manhattans later I almost have it back. Of coarse by now I don't really care. Update in the morning.............. late morning.

Well, it's installed but the icon is grey. Tried and update last night but it did no good. It also said that the last update was 301 days ago. Makes me wonder if maybe they are not supporting 7.5 anymore. Doing another 1:45 min update now. Hope that works. Will advise.

Well, that was a waste of time. 1:45 turned into a 2:30 update download and when it tried to install, there wasn't enough disc space. Tried to uninstall some things to see if that would help, but it won't let me do it. This thing is driving me nuts! Might be time to upgrade.

It doesn't work. I inserted the CD and nothing happens. I can't get it to load.

Larry,

The disc I sent you doesn't have an auto-start program attached. To access the disc: insert disc, double click on My Computer (on your Desktop), then double click the drive (most likely drive D or E) that contains the disc, a new window should open displaying the files and programs on the disc.

As I mentioned earlier, I realized that I sent you a version of AVG 7.5 that wasn't the latest so a lengthy download for updates is necessary. I have the latest version of 7.5 (version 524) and am willing to send that to you. But keep the disc I already sent you for the other program I included. If you know someone close to you with a high speed connection but doesn't know how to burn a disc or use a flash drive then you could just have them download the correct version of 7.5 (I'll send you the link) onto their Desktop and then e-mail it to your e-mail account as a simple attachment. Either way let me know. I'm sure the Manhattans made it less painful. ;)

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Ahh, now you tell me. :D As I mentioned above, I think my old computer is out of disc space. I have a call into a guy on the other board who is computer savvy and close by. Maybe he can help me salvage this thing. Otherwise it's time to buy a new one and he can give me some advice on what to buy. I'm leaving for Eagle River Wisc. in a day or two so nothing will get done before the end of next week unless I can make some room on this one. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.

OK, deleted some unneeded programs and freed up some disc space. installed update and all is well. Talked to Jim at cadillacowners and am convinced that it it time to upgrade to a new computer. I'll do that when I return from Eagle Rive next week.

I just realized that I hijacked this thread from jackc. For that I apologize. I hope you got the information you where looking for.

Archived