CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Daytime lamps

My 2005 STS doesn't want to use the amber lights anymore, which bothers me because I really love them (remind me of Corvettes).

In the daytime, when it is bright outside, my STS insists on turning the lights on when set to auto. The dash lights stay bright as if it knows it's day time.

I did a quick test at night.. the automatic brights work perfectly so I don't know what to think. Also, both lights work.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

___

Oh yeah I can't go without mentioning this on the side: On my way back home from a city 60 miles away, I used the rolling hills of Northern Iowa to my advantage and averaged 27mpg until I got to town (when it dropped, of course). AWD V8 with the AC on recirculate (86F ext) and 3 people on aboard, full tank going 55-65 most of the way. 82,000 miles today. I'm absolutely impressed and proud :)

Even if it's a little bit more babying and nursing than I prefer.

Fresh oil does her well.

Check your windshield wipers. :D

If I am not mistaken... on that year model of STS...

if you leave the RAINSENSE wipers "ON"...

it will cause the headlights to ALSO stay "ON".

Try turning the RAINSENSE wipers completely "OFF". and see if your daytime running lights come back "ON".

In 2006 they made a change to the computer, where you could leave the RAINSENSE wipers "ON" and the headlights would stay "OFF".

That is, unless it actually started raining... :D

Then your headlights come on when the wipers actually are WORKING...

Which is the way it SHOULD have been all along. :D

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
Check your windshield wipers. :D

If I am not mistaken... on that year model of STS...

if you leave the RAINSENSE wipers "ON"...

it will cause the headlights to ALSO stay "ON".

Try turning the RAINSENSE wipers completely "OFF". and see if your daytime running lights come back "ON".

In 2006 they made a change to the computer, where you could leave the RAINSENSE wipers "ON" and the headlights would stay "OFF".

That is, unless it actually started raining... :D

Then your headlights come on when the wipers actually are WORKING...

Which is the way it SHOULD have been all along. :D

I'll look into it.

However, prior I always left them on and it worked just fine (People would always get a good laugh at me trying to clean my windshield at the gas station and the car would kick the squeegee out of my hands because I left it on accessory).

On the same note, I have noticed that on the interstate occasionally it will clean the windshield randomly. Maybe something is wrong with a sensor controlling that feature? I don't really know how that stuff works.

Either way, I'm about to make a quick grocery run, I'll give it a try.

Thanks! :)

Sure enough, it works!

I'm still puzzled because pretty much since we got the car, I've been driving it with the rain sense on (or so I thought). And the ambers were on. I know because whenever I drive by a reflective surface, I instinctively gaze at the car. The strip malls around here offer a great panorama.

It'll do though.

Thanks again!

Archived