CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mode Actuator

Hello all,

I have not posted on here for a while, but been lurking, searching posts. I have a code BO249 on my 2002 Deville DTS. I have the factory service manual. It says to remove the IP Carrier (The entire dashboard) To replace the mode actuator motor. I have gotten to the motor, and when I wiggle it, it moves through it's range. The question I have is, has anyone replaced one of these short of removing the dash? I am at the point of replacing this thing as it sounds like a gear has stripped and it clicks when trying to recalibrate.

Thanks, Millwright71

Do you mean B0429? Auxiliary (rear) temp control actuator? Maybe this will help.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadil...sorry-newb.html

Thanks for your reply, but actually, it is the mode actuator. This is the one that changes all the dash vents. From vent to defrost, to floor.

Millwright71

I had one go bad in my 99 when I first bought it. Still under warranty, the dealership replaced it while I waited, so it can't be that bad. Took them about an hour, never a problem after that. Removing the dash sounds bad, but I think they only had to remove the top cover.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I had one go bad in my 99 when I first bought it. Still under warranty, the dealership replaced it while I waited, so it can't be that bad. Took them about an hour, never a problem after that. Removing the dash sounds bad, but I think they only had to remove the top cover.

I did some searching, and unfortunately my 02 dash is different, I went about changing the actuator myself. I know to some it may sound drastic, but I went ahead and cut the end off my drivers side floor duct and could reach the actuator fairly easy. Much less work involved than the FSM telling you to remove the entire dash assembly, I hope this will answer future questions for those who may be facing this problem. the bolts are 1/4 inch and there are four of them that hold it on. You need to remove the temperature actuator to access the bolts easily. After a successfull installation I will silicone the duct back on for future access. I ordered my part from rockauto.com at 50% off dealers list price.

Millwright71

I did some searching, and unfortunately my 02 dash is different, I went about changing the actuator myself. I know to some it may sound drastic, but I went ahead and cut the end off my drivers side floor duct and could reach the actuator fairly easy. Much less work involved than the FSM telling you to remove the entire dash assembly, I hope this will answer future questions for those who may be facing this problem. the bolts are 1/4 inch and there are four of them that hold it on. You need to remove the temperature actuator to access the bolts easily. After a successfull installation I will silicone the duct back on for future access. I ordered my part from rockauto.com at 50% off dealers list price.

Millwright71

could this be a problem in my car? i get cold air from my passenger side vents, and rear vents, but the driver's vents blow warm air. I dont get any codes for this though.

could this be a problem in my car? i get cold air from my passenger side vents, and rear vents, but the driver's vents blow warm air. I dont get any codes for this though.

I could be wrong but, I think that your problem will be SLIGHTLY LOW on freon.

Check the pressures and if low, recharge to spec.

Posted Image

I could be wrong but, I think that your problem will be SLIGHTLY LOW on freon.

Check the pressures and if low, recharge to spec.

Will check. thanks

From experience..

Drivers side warmer the passenger side. Low freon.

From the GM service manual. "Is the drivers side warmer then the passenger side? System is low on freon. Also, AC gauges will be in normal range."

Just to clarify the reason I am doing this is because my HVAC would not switch between vent, floor and defrost. When I started the car it would make a clicking noise from the dash on the drivers side. Ran the codes and got a BO249 which is the mode actuator motor. When I removed the actuator, after taking the motor cover off, I found two stripped gears inside it.

Millwright71

Archived