CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How high are gas prices going to go?

daniel812

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SO now that Gas prices are over $3/gallon......how high do you think they will go and how soon??

Also, will higher prices make you drive less or does a few extra dollars really not matter??

Here in New Jersey, the politicians have been cooking the books for probably close to a few decades. NOW, the taxpayers have to pay for this. Governor Corzine, who was elected on a "no tax increase" ballot is talking about raising tolls on the Parkway and adding tolls to roads that are now free. He's also talking about a 20 cent per gallon added tax on fuel. What a skunk!!

Edit: At a time when few people are receiving pay raises (I've not had one in two years), prices are skyrocketing due to a falling dollar and now this political skunk wants to grab more money from the have nots.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

SO now that Gas prices are over $3/gallon......how high do you think they will go and how soon??

Also, will higher prices make you drive less or does a few extra dollars really not matter??

Directly related to the price of crude oil which is priced in a weak and getting weaker $US. The price of crude could/might/ stabilize should OPEC decide to use another currency; Euro or Yen ??

The outspoken domestic US "expert" on the crude situation is Boone Pickens (or T Boone Pickens). Read whatever you can locate that is attributed to him for a glimpse into the future of crude oil energy.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Fuel prices have went up here in my area about 25 to 30 cents a gallon in the last couple of weeks.

I don't like it a bit. I do service work and burn a lot of gas in my van. Usually about 80 to 90 gallons a WEEK. That is a fairly big hit that I am having to absorb in my wallet.

The 25 cent increase is costing me about 20 to 25 dollars EXTRA a WEEK or about 100 bucks extra a month. I spend close to 1000 dollars a MONTH on fuel. And YES it ticks me off.

I think we are getting ripped off by the speculators that just keep driving the crude prices higher and higher.

I am hoping to take a couple of trips this summer.

If it is a 4000 mile trip and I average 20 mpg... I will burn 200 gallons.

The extra 25 cents per gallon = 50 bucks.

So, compared to last year... I have a chioce...

Pay the extra fifty bucks, enjoy my vacation and try not to think of how we are getting ripped off or stay home, save the money and not take the MUCH NEEDED vacation. And trust me... I NEED the vacation. :D:D

I think I will go on vacation.

Posted Image

The use of fuel in India and China is growing explosively. Millions and millions of folk are now entering the gasoline market. I wouldn't expect the price of gasoline to go anywhere but up.

Supply/demand etc.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

It is the consensus of economists that the U.S. Dollar will increase against the Euro by about 6 - 7% in each of the years 2008 and 2009. This is only because the Europeans will be forced to deflate their currency to keep down with us.

Sanity anyone?

Regards,

Warren

P.S. I've never been a fan of gold, but it's beginning to look hugely attractive.

P.P.S. I read on MSNBC.COM the other day that thieves are cutting CAT converters off cars because of their rare metal content (platinum etc.). High riding SUV's are particularly vulnerable. Did you know that the rare metal rhodium, used in CAT converters, goes for about $6,000 per ounce? Crap, and then some!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

What's really irrtating is there is not a shortage of oil. It's all politics. Here in North Dakota EOG out of Texas is drilling 80 new wells! There is so much oil in this state it's crazy. I wish they would just close the borders and we keep our own oil. The Cadillac is getting more and more expensive to drive. At $3.34 a gallon, 20 MPG is really not looking that great.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

I have a 92 jetta diesel I use as a commuter car... man does it suck compared to the Cadillac, but it gets me 45 mpg(5.2l/100km). I commute 90 km's a day(each way) to work, I get almost a whole week on a tank.. diesel is sometimes slightly more in price, but the mpg is worth it. I hope to mix up some veggy oil in it in the summer time to help me reduce my costs as well...Run on 100% veggie oil with out any modifications in warm temperatures.

I actually hurt my left foot so I can't drive the jetta at the moment(5 speed).... errr the caddy is expensive to drive :)

The prices do not stop me from driving, but you can sure feel it sometimes... We are paying 1.10 a litre right now for fuel, this is equilivent to about $4 - $4.20 a us gallon depending on exchange rates etc... Besides those two cars, I also drive a snowmobile for recreation, I put in $65 two saturdays ago.. another $40 this past saturday... It can really add up. Every tanks on the sled is about $5 more than the same time last year, on big rides you can fill up 3 times a day.

As for future prices? I am anticipating(and hoping) a US recession, it will bring all commodities down in price(except for gold). I don't want to see anyone's economy suffer, but you can look at past history and see the trend, usually Low commodities prices follow a major recession.

I'm used to driving a CAMRY, which is beautiful on gas. I can go three to four days pretty much on E. I AVG about $35-$40 to fill up, which last for a week and a half. But my pockets hurt now because i started to drive a Cadillac STS, it takes me $60 to fill up the tank, which will only last me 4-5 days MAX. I used to love driving but i dread it now. Will I stop driving? NO with my work shift, I have to drive, no alternative method of transportation. And ofcourse the price is gonna go up, the economy is going down.

You got rid of your camry and bought a Caddy for a reason. I'm wondering why people in general place so much emphasis on fuel prices. Yes it costs a bit more - maybe $10 per fill up? Why not stop eating out once a week or buying starbucks? I know its more expensive and it bothers me to, but I adjusted to make it work. Anybody buying a cheaper more fuel efficient car due to the fuel prices?

Several years ago I inadverently bought an '84Lincoln MKVii diesel-I didn't know lincoln made a diesel. I bought it as a builder. It had a 2.4 BMW turbo diesel with a four speed ZF transmission with overdrive. It would go into overdrive at about 55MPH, and that diesel would settle down at 85-90MPH on the interstates. All you had to do was set the cruise,turn the radio up a little and try not to run over a cop. All the while I was getting a solid 38MPG on the interstates, but it would drop off to about 27MPG in town. I liked it better than any car I've ever owned. Drove it 5000 miles then met a drunk driver in a Dodge van almost head on. Blood alcohol of .24. Sent the car straight to the junk yard. Just about sent me with it. My neck still bothers me where I took the windshield out with my head-wear your seat belts.

It would be nice if someone would make a good sized diesel along with the hybrids.

I'm down to about fifteen Cadillacs which I will drive probably untill they pull my license no matter what the price of gas is.

My favorite Caddy of the bunch is a '90 Touring coupe. Bright red with birchwood interior, 108K miles.

Long live Cadillac. :bluesbrothers:

• 2 weeks later...
Several years ago I inadverently bought an '84Lincoln MKVii diesel-I didn't know lincoln made a diesel. I bought it as a builder. It had a 2.4 BMW turbo diesel with a four speed ZF transmission with overdrive. It would go into overdrive at about 55MPH, and that diesel would settle down at 85-90MPH on the interstates. All you had to do was set the cruise,turn the radio up a little and try not to run over a cop. All the while I was getting a solid 38MPG on the interstates, but it would drop off to about 27MPG in town. I liked it better than any car I've ever owned. Drove it 5000 miles then met a drunk driver in a Dodge van almost head on. Blood alcohol of .24. Sent the car straight to the junk yard. Just about sent me with it. My neck still bothers me where I took the windshield out with my head-wear your seat belts.

It would be nice if someone would make a good sized diesel along with the hybrids.

I'm down to about fifteen Cadillacs which I will drive probably untill they pull my license no matter what the price of gas is.

My favorite Caddy of the bunch is a '90 Touring coupe. Bright red with birchwood interior, 108K miles.

Long live Cadillac. :bluesbrothers:

I was reading in Hot Rod awhile ago that GM was considering offering a diesel engine in all of their cars. I would totally buy one if they had one. I know the 1/2 ton Chevy Silverados are getting a smaller version of the Duramax next year or late this year. That will be nice.

I still think they should make a diesel hybrid. Get somewhere around 60-70 MPG with a car. Now THAT would be cool. That would make everyone go "Ooo!"

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Worldwide competition for oil, market speculation, summer blends, our relations with the middle east, a lack of refineries and the environmentals stopping drilling, all conspire against low fuel prices. Vote with your POCKET in mind.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Not so fast on that Diesel Mike. I last payed $3.11 for gas (will likely pay more tonight on the way home from work). Diesel is $3.99 here.

Shell V-Power: $3.599 here today.

Shell Diesel: $4.199.

I suppose I might be able to handle $10/gallon gas with considerable pain for a short while, but long before gas hits that point other commodities will have increased in price so much as to make life unbearable for vast numbers of folk.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

In the UK, as in all of Europe, petrol (gasoline) sells by the litre. They are paying in the UK £1.00 for a litre thus, they are paying £4.00 for 4 litres of gasoline.

If you want it in terms of the more familiar gallon, their gallon is larger than ours, 4.55 litres = 1 royal gallon versus our US gallon which equals 3.79 litres.

The Sterling Pound is equal to about $2.02 thus, they pay about $9.20 for a royal gallon of gasoline (4.55 litres).

4.55 litres = £4.55 = $9.20 or, 3.79 litres = £3.79 = $7.65, so in the UK they would be paying $9.20 for a royal gallon and in the USA they would be paying $7.65 for a US gallon. :wipetears

I predict that gasoline will get to about $7 or $8 a US gallon (maybe even higher) here in the states. It has to if we want to continue to support our current lifestyles in the suburbs.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...46117&hl=en Very interesting video to watch.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

If fuel prices really do rise to be over $5 per gallon I believe many people will have to stop driving. Salaries are not rising to help with these added daily costs. $3.59/gallon here in Maryland

If gas gets to $7 or $8 per gallon this country is in for trouble. That will affect the price of everything. Lots of people will be working just to pay for the gas to get there. The ramification are far reaching and not good.

If gas gets to $7 or $8 per gallon this country is in for trouble. That will affect the price of everything. Lots of people will be working just to pay for the gas to get there. The ramification are far reaching and not good.

This country is already in trouble. We are already in a recession and might be heading into a depression though it might not be a nation wide depression. If you want to check out a news source that keeps track of business and money all across the planet, check out the stories here: http://www.xe.com/news/home.htm?categoryId=1

Archived